Old/OOP models better than their updates

Evil Eye

Above all those was that one veteran with a mace, the one with the rivets on his armour and a high collar. Fantastic model, even the way he held his mace high up the shaft was great. I don't think he ever reappeared but I've seen no lack of good heresy conversion from him.

Sandlemad, did this veteran come in any particular blister/kit, or was it an individual release? I've seen it a few times popping up in people's collections online, but I don't recall ever seeing it on sale at GW.

I recently painted some of these models, and I'm almost positive that they were released in kits of 5 models as effectively sternguard and vanguard veterans (I'm not sure if they had those names yet). They were almost all great sculpts. I think the mace guy was in a vanguard box.

Above all those was that one veteran with a mace, the one with the rivets on his armour and a high collar. Fantastic model, even the way he held his mace high up the shaft was great. I don't think he ever reappeared but I've seen no lack of good heresy conversion from him.

Sandlemad, did this veteran come in any particular blister/kit, or was it an individual release? I've seen it a few times popping up in people's collections online, but I don't recall ever seeing it on sale at GW.

I recently painted some of these models, and I'm almost positive that they were released in kits of 5 models as effectively sternguard and vanguard veterans (I'm not sure if they had those names yet). They were almost all great sculpts. I think the mace guy was in a vanguard box.

Thank you guys for the responses! I only ever saw those veterans in the 2 released 5-pack, so I guess i just missed the blister with the mace guy. A shame, really, as it is a sweet sculpt.

Yeah, he was in a blister as a veteran sergeant. I think he may have had a cool banner too, might have been the one made of chainmail with a veteran's cross/rosarius hanging from it? Whatever repackaging went on, he didn't get included and sort of fell by the wayside. A shame.

Yeah there were a few different banners with veterans, i think you are right.   There was also some variant gun arms in the blisters that didn't come in the box set, and an alternate version of the lightning claw guy from the box set, who instead had 1 molded on arm with a chainsword.

Classic RoC Keeper of Secrets over the current plastic one, same with the Great Unclean One. New plastics lack the charm and character that chaos had back in the old days.

I miss my old metal Scouts, I foolishly gave them away and I shall always regret that.

I have a bundle of old metal Cadians and the gasmask Stormies - they're great and still look amazing even today. Thanks to the ETL I should start getting some painted so I can actually game with them :teehee:

The old metal Death Company I have a soft spot for, they may be a bit dated now with technology having leaped ahead but the new plastics just don't say 'DEATH COMPANY' to me. I used them to make Vanguard Veterans instead.

MegaNobz. The plastics mimic the old ones, but just don’t have the same weight, motion or feel to them. They’re stiff and plain.

Also, and this is sort of marginal, but I’ve never liked any version of Chaos Terminators as much as their 2nd Ed incarnations. The new ones are larger, better proportioned and whatnot, but the 2nd Ed metals just oozed atmosphere, detail and baroque menace, the perfect fusion of sci-fi and barbarian effects. Still use their heads and weapons and mimic the chest cabling where I can.

You're not alone, I absolutely love those old Chaos termies.

Actually the old terminators in general, I mean they're absolutely tiny now if side by side with the modern sculpts, but a painted up set with some Genestealers for Space Hulk still look brilliant.

Khârn the Betrayer for me; not that I dislike the new one particularly, it's just the old one felt so characterful. There's something about it (possibly nostalgia).

New one is just too busy for my likes. I don't really have a place for him in my lists and he's busy, I prefer more uniformity.

I actually can't think of any model where I like the older versions better than the current ones. The Diaznettes had far superior poses but literally everything else I like about the current ones better.

The old T'au Stealth Suits were nice but I wouldn't call them better than the current ones as both are very different designs and each of them are great on their own.

Mmmh... maybe the Daemon Prince but mostly because the old one had Chaos Marine armour and wasn't a model designed to be used in fantasy as well.

Overall GW keeps producing better and better models and I can say that I'm not wearing any kind of nostalgia glasses in that regard I guess.

Agreed 100%. Old models look terrible in comparison to the new stuff, to the point I’ve mostly sold them off or just binned them indefinitely.

Juan Diaz Daemonettes, just screamed Slaneesh more to me then the new hag ones.  That had the perfect blend of seductress and horrific monster.  The new ones are just horrific and not much else. 

The old metal Cadian Storm Troopers.  Whilst I love the new Storm trooper models the Cadian ones just blended better with a Cadian (and thus the majority of the available models) Army. 

I am on the fence with the old Death Guard compared to the new.  I feel whilst the old oozed malice the new ones are perhaps a little too gribbly and tentacle heavy.  But the posing and scale of the new ones is better and they still are intimidating.

Venerable Dread, as stated above.  That old model, whilst an absolute horror to put together just seemed far more venerable then its counter part.

Daemon Prince, again as above.  Far more menacing and intimidating.  And wasn't sticking its middle finger up...

The old terminator Chaplain over the new plastic one hands down.  That old model is my favourite GW model ever and shall remain so till the day I commend my soul to the Emperor.

I could go on but then I'd just seem like a bitter old man.  Dont get me wrong, I love some of the "new" GW sculpts (Sternguard, Tactical Squad, Lychguard, etc.) but part of me still longs for the old days when I got into this hobby...  And didn't need a second mortgage to afford a box of troops...

Oh just now I remember a model where I like the old version better. The old Dark Apostle was pretty much perfect and just needed to be re-done with new technology while the new one doesn't look that great to me. The new one isn't bad but very different from the old one and if the old one wouldn't look out of place between the new models I'd take that one instead.

Edited by sfPanzer

I actually can't think of any model where I like the older versions better than the current ones. The Diaznettes had far superior poses but literally everything else I like about the current ones better.

The old T'au Stealth Suits were nice but I wouldn't call them better than the current ones as both are very different designs and each of them are great on their own.

Mmmh... maybe the Daemon Prince but mostly because the old one had Chaos Marine armour and wasn't a model designed to be used in fantasy as well.

Overall GW keeps producing better and better models and I can say that I'm not wearing any kind of nostalgia glasses in that regard I guess.

Agreed 100%. Old models look terrible in comparison to the new stuff, to the point I’ve mostly sold them off or just binned them indefinitely.

Good that you've binned them indefinitely - so presumably you won't have to go down to the refuse tip and start searching through mountains of waste to find them (which would actually be the correct thing to do! :) )

Oooo I got one.

The original Flayed Ones. Much better than the ones we have now.

I agree completely. The old ones had this creeping menace to them with the hunched appearance and the elongated finger claws described like surgical tools. The new ones with the oversized scissors for hands and the baffling decision to have one carrying a trophy around as if the Flayed One is a horse just seem silly rather than scary to me.

Oh just now I remember a model where I like the old version better. The old Dark Apostle was pretty much perfect and just needed to be re-done with new technology while the new one doesn't look that great to me. The new one isn't bad but very different from the old one and if the old one wouldn't look out of place between the new models I'd take that one instead.

Personally I'm nostalgic for the time when you could expect a variety of sculpts for each character choice and none of them was considered to replace any other one.

The metal Blood Angel Furioso, metal dread with assault cannon, and metal dread with multi melta. They all seemed just the tiniest bit chunkier and their weapons looked better - especially the powerfist.

Metal Death Company. Their poses were alright but overall they just looked somehow...better proportioned and much cleaner/conservative/"insert the word I can't think of" than the plastics. The plastics are still super awesome so that's saying something.

Metal Grey Knight Terminators. 'Nuff said.

Any model that was in metal and is now in fine cast.

This.

So much this.

I gave my wife my old metal jump Chaplain because she just loved the sculpt that much. The fine cast one can't hold a crozius to it.

The Finecast Dark Apostle and the Dark Vengeance Dark Apostle are much better then the new one IMO (the Finecast being my favorite).  The Finecast Daemon Prince would be an honorable mention.