Old/OOP models better than their updates

Evil Eye

Love the finecast "Chaplain with Skull Helmet", especially for the aforementioned skull helmet. His Crozius seems too big to me (although it could be I'm just really used to looking at the Primaris one, with the more scepter-like Crozius) since it doesn't even fit in his hand, but it's a Crozius nonetheless. I'm planning on picking him up and kitbashing him with a Vanguard Veteran to make a Chaplain with Jump Pack. Only reason I'm not going with the actual BA Chaplain with Jump Pack is because I want him to look in-line with the rest of my Vanguard Veteran converted HQs when I do them.

The metal Power Armour Chaplains which made it to finecast (*spits*) were all better than any of the current plastic Chaplains. Better skull masks and less covered in robes/scrolls/stuff. Some of the new ones have cool design elements, but as a whole don't really really work for me.

Old:

99800101069_ChaplainSkullHelmetNEW01_50099800101072_ChaplainCroziusPowerFistNEW0metal-models-space-marine-chaplain-with-99800101004_ChaplainJumpPackNEW01.jpg?14

99800101006_TerminatorChaplainNEW01.jpg

Conversely, I find most of those Chaplains (with the exception of the Terminator, which is admittedly pretty great) extremely derpy. All of them have Crozius' with a haft so thick they can't actually grip them properly, let alone use them as a weapon, nonsense poses (power hug) and various other issues. They certainly aren't a patch on the old Chaplains from 2nd edition, and I actually even prefer the newer plastic one.

Yeah, I actually dislike all the old Chaplain models, barring the Terminator Chaplain, BECAUSE of the overly-thick Crozius haft.

And Halandaar also summed up my other issues with them: Some of them have really derpy poses. The only one I really like out of all of them is this one:
99800101069_ChaplainSkullHelmetNEW01_500

Because he's simple, effective and reads immediately as a Chaplain

The metal Power Armour Chaplains which made it to finecast (*spits*) were all better than any of the current plastic Chaplains. Better skull masks and less covered in robes/scrolls/stuff. Some of the new ones have cool design elements, but as a whole don't really really work for me.

Old:

99800101072_ChaplainCroziusPowerFistNEW0metal-models-space-marine-chaplain-with-99800101004_ChaplainJumpPackNEW01.jpg?14

99800101006_TerminatorChaplainNEW01.jpg

New

http://www.frontlinegaming.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/500185.3.jpgLimited-Edition-Space-Marine-Terminator-games-workshop-warhammer-40k-space-marin

The Primaris one doesn't even have a proper Crozius!

Ksarkin are better than scions IMHO.

Yep, the previous spec-ops-ish ones too. Really liked their masks and the way they had loads of gar hanging off them

m1251710.jpg

These are new models, they’re over decorated and I think they don’t have any character.

Yeah, I actually dislike all the old Chaplain models, barring the Terminator Chaplain, BECAUSE of the overly-thick Crozius haft.

And Halandaar also summed up my other issues with them: Some of them have really derpy poses. The only one I really like out of all of them is this one:

That guy is the one I went with as well.

My favorite chaplain is this 2nd edition guy:

gallery_85153_13565_29000.png

But he's a bit on the small side.

That guy is the one I went with as well.

My favorite chaplain is this 2nd edition guy:

gallery_85153_13565_29000.png

But he's a bit on the small side.

He has far and away the best Crozius of any Chaplain ever. I picked one up on ebay for a few quid just to use that Crozius head.

I like the old Terminator Chaplain and Jump Pack Chaplain but the rest are a no-go for me and I really don't mind the Primaris one. Would be nice if he had a proper Crozius but eh there are worse things out there. An easy fix if you really care about it.

The newer Terminator Chaplain is one of the models where GW admitted that they overdid it with bling and one of the reasons why Primaris are starting out so clean looking so they can add bling to characters without them looking like this guy. ^^

Strangely enough, I kinda like the cluttered plastic terminator chaplain. Chaplains have always seemed so over-the-top for me, that him being covered in scrollwork never worried me. I just wish, he was easier to get a hold of. 

The old metal terminator chaplain is where it's at, though. I think no one ever disliked that mini.

Scouts /thread.

Actually, there's something else that occurred to me the other day and that's hair on Marines. For my ETL vow I'm painting Tycho (metal) and a conversion which uses Delassio's head (plastic). The plastic head (as with other plastic BA ones of late) are smooth on top with a few strands at the edges. This actually makes it tricky to paint to avoid it being flat whereas Tycho's hair has detail all over.

Never really appreciated it until now.

Hmmm, i do like old SM veteran models, of all kind. Still have tyrannic ones unpainted but i mean those squads of four or five. One with power fist, one with power axe and plasmapistol and so on.

Chapter masters box was pretty awesome conversion idea mill, that came around when apocalypse was pushed in the game too. Yes, it´s still around, itseems. My bad!

Edited by Jukkiz

The old metal terminator chaplain is where it's at, though. I think no one ever disliked that mini.

I remember painting his face with Boltgun metal and I tried using my brother's Tamiya smoke on it. He looked really intimidating with that dark metal mask. I did a similar helmet to the resin Terminator Chaplain too, this time using Scale 75's Black Metal.

Hmmm, i do like old SM veteran models, of all kind. Still have tyrannic ones unpainted but i mean those squads of four or five. One with power fist, one with power axe and plasmapistol and so on.

Chapter masters box was pretty awesome conversion idea mill, that came around when apocalypse was pushed in the game too. Yes, it´s still around, itseems. My bad!

Oh yeah, chapter masters wereand are still great. I always loved the master of recruits!

Yeah, I painted the pyramid teabag guy for a leaving gift for a GW manager. I should have saved one for myself, that was a great model and I'm not that keen on the plastic one. I don't like the pose or the head.

I'm a Librarian Fanatic, so I own probably 15+ of various versions/conversions from various generations, and I absolute abhor the new/current model in Terminator armor. The standard Librarian with a staff is seriously lackluster minus using his bits for a conversion as well. I would take any of the Librarians from 3rd going forward over the current generation. Especially the old metal Terminator Librarian with a staff, and the series of metal libbies from the 4th and 5th ed generations.

Obviously the Primaris model is solid, but the current Librarian line as a whole is a complete bust to me. I would say the only exception to this would be the Blood Angels Terminator Librarian with a force axe. That is a fantastic model.

The old Metal Karskin Stomtroopers getting killed off was an absolute tragedy too. I have thought about picking up some from eBay and proxying them as Scions for Kill Team. The scions are okay, but don't hold a candle to these older models.

Definitely agree that all the plastic librarians fall short of their metal predecessors.

But using GK plastic troop kit you can make some pretty good librarian models.