Reiver Squad Loadout

I'm very much in the camp of building what you happen to think looks the best.

I can see the arguments made for both options, however I'll weigh in personally by saying that assault focused units will have their movement throughout the game decided for them - they are chasing an enemy unit to assault. There is probably more Tactical flexibility in using the rifles as has been outline above, but it might not be what your list requires.

I'll be going Knife/Pistol with my Reivers, if only because I figured out a nice bit of aura synergy that comes from playing Dark Angels, and only Dark Angels.

For those wondering:

It involves Asmodai and the Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought from Forge World

Asmodai:
Exemplar of Hate: You can re-roll failed hit rolls in the Fight phase for friendly DARK ANGELS units that are within 6" of Asmodai. In addition, increase the Attacks characteristic of friendly DARK ANGELS INFANTRY and BIKER units by 1 whilst they are within 6" of Asmodai.

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought:
Icon of Hate: All friendly models with the <CHAPTER> keyword in combat with the same unit as a model with this ability add +1 to their Strength characteristic for the duration of the Fight Phase.

In a 10-man squad of Reivers, that means that's 41 Strength 5 AP0 D1 Attacks, re-rolling failed hit rolls. Add the Vanguard LT for more attacks and wound re-rolls. Yeah, it's all AP 0, but a total of FORTY-SIX attacks at Strength 5, re-rolling misses and re-rolling wound rolls....

I just like the utility of getting a unit into melee over a unit sitting on an objectiv plinging away with S4 AP0 shots. When I get a unit into melee the opponent can't shoot with it and can't shoot at it, with especially the latter becoming a problem when his gunline wants to shoot at a character late game.

I can't tell you how often my Reivers charged an Onager or a Leman Russ or such after getting rid of their screen thanks to knifes and then my opponent had to dedicate some other units to charge the Reivers in return because it's fairly easy to catch a vehicle between a terrain and your unit so it can't fall back and if he hadn't done it he wouldn't have been able to stop my characters from freely walking over the board doing whatever they please.

Edited by sfPanzer

I'll be going Knife/Pistol with my Reivers, if only because I figured out a nice bit of aura synergy that comes from playing Dark Angels, and only Dark Angels.

For those wondering:

It involves Asmodai and the Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought from Forge World

Asmodai:

Exemplar of Hate: You can re-roll failed hit rolls in the Fight phase for friendly DARK ANGELS units that are within 6" of Asmodai. In addition, increase the Attacks characteristic of friendly DARK ANGELS INFANTRY and BIKER units by 1 whilst they are within 6" of Asmodai.

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought:

Icon of Hate: All friendly models with the <CHAPTER> keyword in combat with the same unit as a model with this ability add +1 to their Strength characteristic for the duration of the Fight Phase.

In a 10-man squad of Reivers, that means that's 41 Strength 5 AP0 D1 Attacks, re-rolling failed hit rolls. Add the Vanguard LT for more attacks and wound re-rolls. Yeah, it's all AP 0, but a total of FORTY-SIX attacks at Strength 5, re-rolling misses and re-rolling wound rolls....

The biggest problem there is probably getting all those units in the same fight. If you don't deep strike the Reivers you might as well just go with Intercessors and shoot with S4 AP-1 until you get into melee. But yeah if you manage to do all this then they are about as strong as Blood Angels Reivers supported by a Captain :P (just 31 attacks an not re-rolling 2s, however wounding T3 on 2+, T4-5 the same and T6+ better).