Face/body paint help

So I came up with a crazy idea for my ork armies

"DIGGANOBZ" (which for those of you who do not recognize the term are humans who have gone "feral" and become ork clans by painting their skin green)

Conversion wise I know what to do, I'm going to bash some AoS blood reavers with ork bits to make feral barbarian looking dudes, my issue comes with how to make realistic looking face/body paint on minis. If I just paint them flesh tone and put green on top I feel like that would just look weird at the scale because it wouldn't have the proper shadows. I did think about using the green contrast paint over a properly painted flesh tone, as they have not been released yet o cant test that theory out but in the mean time does anyone have a way that they paint the face paint on something like an ork without it looking unrealistic?

You could try sponging or stopping it on over a flesh tone so that it looks like some has flaked off, not brilliantly accurate though if you wanted intricate designs.

You could try building it up with carefully controlled application of washes of appropriate colour.

It might be too bright a green but you could try using hexwraith flame for your paint. effects.

I think a green shade over fleshtone is going to look like sickly zombies rather than ork-painted humans.

Rather than get too complex, I'd paint parts of them ork skin coloured in the normal way to represent thick warpaint, and parts of them normal fleshtone. To help sell the illusion that it's paint on the skin, do things like having around the eyes, mouth and anywhere they're likely to sweat normal flesh coloured. For bonus work you can also add some little streaks of green where it's 'run' - down the chest, along the arms etc.

i.e. just like this.

438px-Digga.jpg

Edited by Arkhanist

Your initial idea is good. Do the face in a flesh tone and go over it with the green tone you like. You can use contrast for that if you haven’t put your shadows down.

But you could go over it with a reikland fleshshade ( or any wash you have that looks similar) and then glaze over it with the green you like.

Contrast paint will probably make it easier but not necessary.