Airbrush contrast paints?

According to some of the topics/videos elsewhere on the Internet and a thread where it was discussed here, airbrushing the Contrast paints doesn't give you much, if any, of the actual Contrast effect and instead seems to produce an almost tint/clear paint quality with them.

Its the part of the paint that binds the pigments to the surface. If you just thin your paints with water to make them a glaze you lose the bonding capacity for the paint too, so you could rub of the pigments while doing other glazing layers.

I mix 1 part paint with 3 parts acrylic binder and thin them down how i need it with water.

Bonus: you can use acrylic binder with pigments to mix your own paints.

Wow, that stuff has some interesting properties! Do they replace glazes completely?

Pretty much. They said they're discontinuing Glazes because Contrasts exist. They do seem slightly different from Glazes, but I bet you can make them work similarly enough if you need a true glaze, and they already do the job of "Glaze and Shade only" style paintjobs.

I can see the inherent translucency of Contrast working quite well for airbrushing, particularly for getting very subtle tints and gradients, kinda like a clear paint with matte medium (except more convenient and in more colours). I'm sure you can get similar results with inks and medium but for convenience's sake it's worth trying at least.

I'd be interested to see it "wet-blended" by airbrushing some on and then doing the same with another colour whilst the former is still wet. I did that with a currently WIP Nurgle Rhino with regular paint and got some very unusual and rather cool mottling effects.

Yeah, airbrushing it will act just any other translucent paint. Potentially useful if you have it already and/or want that exact shade, but it's an expensive per-ml clear coat; warcolours transparent paint, createx candy, tamiya clears, badger ghost tints will all do the same effect for cheaper. I'm not sure wet blending after airbrushing will work that well, as having it stay fluid for any length of time means you'll also risk it spidering all over.

For a mottled effect I did see this video where the guy sponged it on, and that does look pretty cool if that's the effect you're after (he was trying to work around the visible brush stroke problem with Contrast on a tank)

And he also mixes the Contrast medium with nuln oil, and normal paint. Diluting nuln oil with normal medium or flow aid does *not* have this result in my experience (it might go on thin, but you run serious risk of tide marks), so I can definitely see myself nicking that idea.