Sanguinary priests and your thoughts

CptSlambo

Hey there looking to add some sanguinary priests to my army just curious on what the communities thoughts are on this unit. What's the best load out what units are best to stick by this guy? Is it even a worthwhile unit? What are some good tactics just curious on everyone's thoughts. Thank you

I just picked one up myself,so I haven’t run it yet but I am planning on having him (probably powerfisted) and the sanguinor and some sanguinary guard and ancient (with standard of sacrifice). Figure it will give them a bit of survivability and the plus one to strength pushes the swords and fists to a really good spot.

I want to like them, but +1STR is hard to justify points wise when list building. The 4+ has always disappointed  me and with SG and Primaris being 2 wounds, there is more often than not a wounded model preventing me from getting a model back which is what i would really like in those situations. If GW wanted to push SP's for us, i's like to see something to help their triage abilities, maybe a +1 to nartheceum rolls for them to differentiate from sanguinary noviates and primaris apothecaries, or a strat allowing them to use the narthecium ability multiple times, but on an increasing dice roll for each additional one, like the living lightning spell.

I want to like them, but +1STR is hard to justify points wise when list building. The 4+ has always disappointed  me and with SG and Primaris being 2 wounds, there is more often than not a wounded model preventing me from getting a model back which is what i would really like in those situations. If GW wanted to push SP's for us, i's like to see something to help their triage abilities, maybe a +1 to nartheceum rolls for them to differentiate from sanguinary noviates and primaris apothecaries, or a strat allowing them to use the narthecium ability multiple times, but on an increasing dice roll for each additional one, like the living lightning spell.

Really? I think the +1S is super easy to justify. With S5 we wound T4 on a 2+, T5 on a 3+ and T8 on a 4+. Thunderhammers and Fists go up to S10 which lets us wound T8 on a 2+ and after the first round still on a 3+.

It's really only hard to justify if you face nothing but T3 and vehicles with T7.

Considering the loadout options, similar stats and basically same point costs they don't really need anything more to differentiate them from Primaris Apothecaries. The +1S is already plenty. It's the Primaris Apothecaries that need something to compete with our Sanguinary Priests.

I want to like them, but +1STR is hard to justify points wise when list building. The 4+ has always disappointed me and with SG and Primaris being 2 wounds, there is more often than not a wounded model preventing me from getting a model back which is what i would really like in those situations. If GW wanted to push SP's for us, i's like to see something to help their triage abilities, maybe a +1 to nartheceum rolls for them to differentiate from sanguinary noviates and primaris apothecaries, or a strat allowing them to use the narthecium ability multiple times, but on an increasing dice roll for each additional one, like the living lightning spell.

Really? I think the +1S is super easy to justify. With S5 we wound T4 on a 2+, T5 on a 3+ and T8 on a 4+. Thunderhammers and Fists go up to S10 which lets us wound T8 on a 2+ and after the first round still on a 3+.

It's really only hard to justify if you face nothing but T3 and vehicles with T7.

Considering the loadout options, similar stats and basically same point costs they don't really need anything more to differentiate them from Primaris Apothecaries. The +1S is already plenty. It's the Primaris Apothecaries that need something to compete with our Sanguinary Priests.

S10 wounds t8 on a 3+, its not twice the strength.

So it's kinda hard to justify imo as well. We have the red thirst, do we really need the +1 strength over more attacks?

So it's kinda hard to justify imo as well. We have the red thirst, do we really need the +1 strength over more attacks?

S10 wounds T8 on 2+ with red thirst.

Its not that red thirst makes +1 S unnecessary its that they combo together, especially along with a lieutenant.

More attacks would be great but Blood Angels are generally a quality over quantity factions when it comes to attacks, otherwise we'd be talking the Sanguinor and a ton of dual chainsword vanguard vets to every game. Which incidentally are the best BA answer to a ork or plaguebearer horde meta where +1 S would be helpful.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

S10 wounds T8 on 2+ with red thirst.

Its not that red thirst makes +1 S unnecessary its that they combo together, especially along with a lieutenant.

More attacks would be great but Blood Angels are generally a quality over quantity factions when it comes to attacks, otherwise we'd be talking the Sanguinor and a ton of dual chainsword vanguard vets to every game. Which incidentally are the best BA answer to a ork or plaguebearer horde meta where +1 S would be helpful.

EDIT: i see what im missing. i was counting Red thirst as +1S instead of +1 on the roll. Whoopsie. 

Edited by Lynnean

The best priest option outside of corbulo are index entries. Jump pack with storm bolter and power sword is a popular option, as is the bike variant. Since the priest doesn't have a natural invuln save making small arms fire need 5+ to wound him is a good option. I really like to spend a few more points on a lightning claw for that support melee character.

I share a similar view to others with the Priest - it's great in certain situations, not in others.

If you're going to face a lot of T4/T5 targets, the +1 to swords and chainswords will have a good impact. Similarly if you know you'll face a bunch of T8 targets such as Knights and you have a unit with hammers specifically to go after them, +1 strength is an extra bonus there.

Where I find the +1 strength less useful is following any unit wielding mixed weapon strengths, or against an opponent with a wide range of toughness. In those cases a more 'permanent' buff like rerolls to hit and wound tends to have more impact.

I use my Priest most when I field SG with swords. Getting those to S5 puts them in as good a spot as they can be when combined with Red Thirst, wounding T4 on a 2+, T5 on a 3+ and anything T6-T9 on a 4+ on the charge. As others have said, the healing/revival has more chance of being useful on SG than most of our other units too. It's also handy when Dante is running with them, taking him to S7 which is another sweet spot for him against many Tyranid monsters which are T6/T7 (though unfortunately having no effect against the biggest T8 monsters).

That said, my main concern with the priest is how much longer it'll remain supported with a jump pack. I know we can currently use it via the Index but I've had more than one rules writer specifically say there will be a point where Index units are no longer supported. Though with one of them I pointed out how we kinda need the JP on ours for most uses, and he did agree that there are certain cases where wargear options or units may (but not a definite will) get put back into the full Codex when Indices are dropped.

That said, my main concern with the priest is how much longer it'll remain supported with a jump pack. I know we can currently use it via the Index but I've had more than one rules writer specifically say there will be a point where Index units are no longer supported. Though with one of them I pointed out how we kinda need the JP on ours for most uses, and he did agree that there are certain cases where wargear options or units may (but not a definite will) get put back into the full Codex when Indices are dropped.

I agree this is a concern but since I have an old SP with jump pack, I run him quite happily. If you are building new, maybe magnetise the backpack so you can use him with a Jump Pack for as long as the Index Option exists.

Whilst healing/reviving valuable models like SG and Terminators is not a bad option, I think that healing characters is often where the Priest is at his best as these are high point-per-wound models and it keeps your big hitters and valuable buffs around for longer. Sure there is a rick of your opponent just targetting the SP himself but if he fails to kill them then the SP can just heal himself. :smile.:

The “best” build for a Sanguinary Priest on paper would be dual lightning claws since S5 Shred is the “perfect” utility weapon for the game (there’s another post somewhere in this forum). But it’s not the most efficient points wise on a support character.

The last times I’ve run one I’ve gone dual chainsword. 5A at S5 keeps him effective yet low threat, while it’ll also remind you that he’s a support character first and foremost.

I have trouble picture a lightning claw guy operating on a wounded comrade while the Monty Python part of my brain likes the idea of chainswords as surgical tools.

Echoing what others have said, they’re cool and useful for certain games, but nowhere near efficient for super-competitive games where your margins are razor thin.

Here’s a thought: what if in lieu of the +1S, Sanguinary Priests were like Chaos Aspiring Champions, letting you re-roll all To Wound In melee?

Edited by Indefragable

Here’s a thought: what if in lieu of the +1S, Sanguinary Priests were like Chaos Aspiring Champions, letting you re-roll all To Wound In melee?

Would clash a bit with our sanguinary ancient!

...and Lieutenant.

...and Lieutenant.

To be fair, Chaplains give full rerolls to-Hit but only in melee whilst Captains allow rerolls of 1s in all situations.

I could see a similar role for SPs. Full rerolls to-Wound but only in melee.

...and Lieutenant.

To be fair, Chaplains give full rerolls to-Hit but only in melee whilst Captains allow rerolls of 1s in all situations.

Yeah and almost nobody uses Chaplains because the Captain aura is already enough and works for shooting as well and the Captain has better loadout options on top of that. ^^

...and Lieutenant.

Yeah and almost nobody uses Chaplains because the Captain aura is already enough and works for shooting as well and the Captain has better loadout options on top of that. ^^

That’s also because Lemartes is so much better than a regular chaplain (albeit for DC only) that the rest dont get a look in. (Heck, I’d play Astorath the over any normal chaplain)

...and Lieutenant.

That’s also because Lemartes is so much better than a regular chaplain (albeit for DC only) that the rest dont get a look in. (Heck, I’d play Astorath the over any normal chaplain)

I was already including Lemartes in my thought process and it's not like only we Blood Angels could use Chaplains.

I think it's disappointing to see builds focusing on attributes of certain characters. So what if I play Flesh Tearers and I don't get Lemartes? Or four BA players in a tournament all have him? A rule I miss from old editions was special characters required your opponent's consent and were not tournament legal. It put a different spin on things when we had to build with our actual armies and not Superheroes.

The flip side of this is that you build and paint up a beautiful special character model only to find you cannot use him. As long as special characters are correctly costed for their abilities, I don't see this as being a problem. Of course there may be some issues in this area but that is an implementation problem rather than a problem with the concept.

More seriously, making your army list dependent on your opponent's whim risks hampering the game. My local gaming club has an informal ban on FW units despite that fact that most are pretty well balanced these days. Some people don't even like playing flyers or LOWs despite the fact that they are a solid part of many codices now. Making items "opponent's consent" risks some players abusing it by banning anything they don't like playing against.

I prefer to see all units treated equally as this also encourages GW to balance them properly in the first place. A good example is Mephiston post CA18 price increase. I now have a definite decision in my lists whether to take Mephiston or the cheaper but more flexible Libby with a Jump Pack (who does not need a psychic power to get his movement boost).

I think it's disappointing to see builds focusing on attributes of certain characters. So what if I play Flesh Tearers and I don't get Lemartes? Or four BA players in a tournament all have him? A rule I miss from old editions was special characters required your opponent's consent and were not tournament legal. It put a different spin on things when we had to build with our actual armies and not Superheroes.

In 5th edition, if you played a successor chapter, or DIY army and you wanted to play with named characters, GW encouraged you to kitbash your own model and simply use the rules for that characters Data sheet.

I don't miss it. I come from WHFB where you practically never saw any named characters because of this and it's not like regular HQ options can't compete with named characters in 40k.

In 5th edition, if you played a successor chapter, or DIY army and you wanted to play with named characters, GW encouraged you to kitbash your own model and simply use the rules for that characters Data sheet.

Yeah even in last editions rulebook they said that named characters and relics are just examples of what exists in the 40k universe and it's to be expected that any chapter has access to similar things one way or another (of course justifying a character like Mephiston would be a stretch though).