Sanguinary priests and your thoughts

CptSlambo

I think it's disappointing to see builds focusing on attributes of certain characters. So what if I play Flesh Tearers and I don't get Lemartes? Or four BA players in a tournament all have him? A rule I miss from old editions was special characters required your opponent's consent and were not tournament legal. It put a different spin on things when we had to build with our actual armies and not Superheroes.

At the moment, due to more freedom with equipment/stratagems/relics, the generics seem to hold their own.

No one tells a blood angels player “please don’t include Dante in your list but I’m fine with smash captains!”

My issue is that a character like Lemartes provides capabilities that do not exist elsewhere (re-rolling charges for DC).

If Captain Thompson, the hero of Planet Fluff 42, had rules that were simply a Captain's re-rolls To Hit of 1 + a Lieutenant's re-rolls To Wound of 1..

...or if Dante as a Chapter Master let you re-roll all To Hit rolls, but BA also had a strategem ala the SM book to upgrade a dude to become Chapter Master (albeit not with Dante on the same board)...

....then I would be more open to the idea of "no special characters unless opponent gives permission." As it currently stands, however, those special characters provide often necessary buffs or abilities that simply can not be found elsewhere, and so a certain faction is arguably "ineffective" at a competitive level without them.

• 2 weeks later...