What’s missing from the Primaris line?

So, we’ve established that we’re missing the following

HQ gear options

Veterans (because CP defendant options don’t count)

Terminator equivalent (invol saves and deployment options?)

Infantry based lascannons

Melta weaponry, despite some saying it’s not needed, we still don’t have it.

Vehicles that aren’t repulsors

Close combat units. Reavers have the right amount of attacks, but lack a power weapon.

I would add bikes but I personally think that inceptors have the same toughness, a crap load of ranged attacks, the only thing they don’t have is a power weapon. You could also argue that they don’t have the ability to give some models one gun and others a different one, but that seems to be what Primaris are, squads of one weapon.

Am I missing anything?

They are lacking:

• Dedicated melee unit (Reivers don't count)
  • Techmarines
  • An actual cheap transport, not the Hovering Bradley (as my friend so succinctly called the Repulsor)
  • Terminator Equivalent
  • Bikers

^ this for the most part

Except that they don't "need" an Terminator Equivalent considering that T5 and Sv2+ is in many cases identical (T2 is better against AP0 but both are about equal against overcharged plasma for example) and we already have Aggressors. If it's about the deep striking them we have Inceptors who also have T5. If it's about Assault Terminators then that point is already listed as "dedicated melee unit". If it's about their rank (aka Veterans) then that's a rather weak argument since apart from Indomitus Crusaders Intercessors and the Victrix Guard we simply don't have any Veterans yet and if you play a non-official chapter you can make any unit you want into your chapters Veterans anyway (like I did with my Reivers).

Also I want to point out that the Repulsor is far from being a Bradley. One of the biggest issues of the Bradley is that he had basically no armour but appeared like a tank so it would draw all the fire. The Repulsor is more durable than most armies tanks with T8. It just looks like the Bradley because of all the weapons attached to it. :wink:

As for the Bikes ... I agree they are missing, but crunch-wise I don't think they are needed anyway. The only thing Bikes can do better than a unit with FLY is being fast when there's no terrain. They have T5? Great so have Gravis units with Jump Packs like Inceptors. On the other hand Jump Pack units can deep strike and thanks to FLY keep shooting while falling back. Now if they were jetbikes/repulsor bikes, what's the point of Jump Pack units then? An army should have only one type of those imo. Either Bikes (regardless of FLY or not) or Jump Pack infantry. They are just too redundant.

Yeah they need a terminator equivilant. As of now Aggressors are godawful for any real purpose beyond clearing chaff; but then leave you asking why you're using an elite slot to mop up light infantry when you could be bringing something with more punch. What Terminators bring is 3++ or 4++ saves with enough melee power on decent units to really inflict some damage, especially with Deathwing Knights. Ideally Aggressors aren't even getting into melee, ever, because they're just there to mow down chaff with bolt pistols. Especially when Gravis units don't even had an invulnerable save which means they're incredibly easy to remove if in the open (which they are most of the time), and lack any means of delivery. What Primaris needs are just straight copies of Terminators and Sternguard, but better, and with better stats. Then they'd actually be helpful.

Actually only Assault Terminators with Stormshields and Cataphractii bring a 3++ or 4++. The others bring just a 5++ which is mostly to be ignored due their 2+ armour already.

And if you think Aggressors are just good for clearing chaff then you should check your numbers since they also are decently good against better infantry like Firewarriors and Skitarii (a unit of 3 kills 6 without the double shooting) and Marines (3 without double shooting) and even plinging away some wounds from vehicles they can do decently when double shooting (4 damage against T7 Sv3+, that's only 1 damage less than 4 Lascannons do on average which is far from bad for a unit that's not designed to do that).

When we compare them with regular Terminators instead of the dedicated melee ones they shoot better, are similarly durable and hit just as hard in melee. They can't deep strike but they are more mobile once on the ground due being able to advance and shoot without penalties while regular Terminators only have Rapid fire weapons.

So what you are doing there is cherry picking. You pick the one kind of Terminator unit that is actually different than all the others (3++/4++ and better melee weapons) and ignore the basic Terminators which I was talking about. I already acknowledged Assault Terminators but counted them towards "dedicated melee unit".

From my experience with my space wolf primaris homebrew (which only uses primaris units) I would say that we have three major areas that need to be shored up.

1) Anti-tank - We basically rely on hellblasters and repulsors for it. We know we're getting a new repulsor but we don't know what it does yet, and honestly we could use a anti-tank unit that doesn't cost almost as much as a knight or blow itself up.

2)  Melee units - I really think we need multiple types of melee units.

Mobile Characters - We need our smash captain style models. If GW doesn't plan on giving us mobile characters I think we should have honor guard style like what Calgar has with the ability to take more guys (granted IMO we should get this either way).  

Elite Mobile unit  - something that's fast and can handle some of the tougher targets.

CCW Troop - I really think a troop choice with a CCW, and some sort of assault weapon would really do wonders for Primaris.

3) Cheap transport/deployment options - We're very predictable, and we rely on certain units so protecting them and getting them where we need to is key. 

Chapter Masters, Honor Guard, Breachers, The option to outfit Intercessors with carbines and close combat weapons, Terminator equivalents, close combat jump troops, jet bikes, veteran squads, heavy support squads, a dedicated MBT, a dedicated light tank, an assault gun tank, a squad aerial transport, a platoon aerial transport, dedicated strike fighters, and a close support gunship.

They are lacking:

• Techmarines
  • An actual cheap transport, not the Hovering Bradley (as my friend so succinctly called the Repulsor)
  • Terminator Equivalent
  • Bikers

^ this for the most part

Except that they don't "need" an Terminator Equivalent considering that T5 and Sv2+ is in many cases identical (T2 is better against AP0 but both are about equal against overcharged plasma for example) and we already have Aggressors. If it's about the deep striking them we have Inceptors who also have T5. If it's about Assault Terminators then that point is already listed as "dedicated melee unit". If it's about their rank (aka Veterans) then that's a rather weak argument since apart from Indomitus Crusaders Intercessors and the Victrix Guard we simply don't have any Veterans yet and if you play a non-official chapter you can make any unit you want into your chapters Veterans anyway (like I did with my Reivers).

Also I want to point out that the Repulsor is far from being a Bradley. One of the biggest issues of the Bradley is that he had basically no armour but appeared like a tank so it would draw all the fire. The Repulsor is more durable than most armies tanks with T8. It just looks like the Bradley because of all the weapons attached to it. :wink:

As for the Bikes ... I agree they are missing, but crunch-wise I don't think they are needed anyway. The only thing Bikes can do better than a unit with FLY is being fast when there's no terrain. They have T5? Great so have Gravis units with Jump Packs like Inceptors. On the other hand Jump Pack units can deep strike and thanks to FLY keep shooting while falling back. Now if they were jetbikes/repulsor bikes, what's the point of Jump Pack units then? An army should have only one type of those imo. Either Bikes (regardless of FLY or not) or Jump Pack infantry. They are just too redundant.

Yeah they need a terminator equivilant. As of now Aggressors are godawful for any real purpose beyond clearing chaff; but then leave you asking why you're using an elite slot to mop up light infantry when you could be bringing something with more punch. What Terminators bring is 3++ or 4++ saves with enough melee power on decent units to really inflict some damage, especially with Deathwing Knights. Ideally Aggressors aren't even getting into melee, ever, because they're just there to mow down chaff with bolt pistols. Especially when Gravis units don't even had an invulnerable save which means they're incredibly easy to remove if in the open (which they are most of the time), and lack any means of delivery. What Primaris needs are just straight copies of Terminators and Sternguard, but better, and with better stats. Then they'd actually be helpful.

Actually only Assault Terminators with Stormshields and Cataphractii bring a 3++ or 4++. The others bring just a 5++ which is mostly to be ignored due their 2+ armour already.

And if you think Aggressors are just good for clearing chaff then you should check your numbers since they also are decently good against better infantry like Firewarriors and Skitarii (a unit of 3 kills 6 without the double shooting) and Marines (3 without double shooting) and even plinging away some wounds from vehicles they can do decently when double shooting (4 damage against T7 Sv3+, that's only 1 damage less than 4 Lascannons do on average which is far from bad for a unit that's not designed to do that).

When we compare them with regular Terminators instead of the dedicated melee ones they shoot better, are similarly durable and hit just as hard in melee. They can't deep strike but they are more mobile once on the ground due being able to advance and shoot without penalties while regular Terminators only have Rapid fire weapons.

So what you are doing there is cherry picking. You pick the one kind of Terminator unit that is actually different than all the others (3++/4++ and better melee weapons) and ignore the basic Terminators which I was talking about. I already acknowledged Assault Terminators but counted them towards "dedicated melee unit".

No. I don't bother to count terminators without 3++/4++ saves because all others are completely useless. Being better than tactical terminators isn't an impressive note because tactical terminators are hot garbage you only take in a list if you're a fluff bunny masochist who enjoys losing games repeatedly. If you want to win however and you can find some role for TEQ, it's in some variety of melee taking advantage of recent point drops to shove some Deathwing Knights in and score some vicious damage. Aggressors, especially as elites (along with Reivers :blink.: ) are completely miscast in their role, compete too much for the elite slot, and are just outright inferior to alternatives for it while not bringing sufficient damage to the enemy and requiring a ridiculous investment for reliable delivery.

It sounds like a lot of stuff listed is what would be needed for Primaris to completely replace classic Astartes - which is humorous because that's what I thought that most people didnt't want to see happen...

Why would you come up with things that classic Marines currently do if you don't want the Primaris to straight up replace them? Or is this list supposed to be a "I'm resigned to completely replacing my classic Marines, so these are the type of Primaris I'd like to make that less painful to me"?

They are lacking:

• Techmarines
  • Terminator Equivalent
  • Bikers

^ this for the most part

No. I don't bother to count terminators without 3++/4++ saves because all others are completely useless. Being better than tactical terminators isn't an impressive note because tactical terminators are hot garbage you only take in a list if you're a fluff bunny masochist who enjoys losing games repeatedly. If you want to win however and you can find some role for TEQ, it's in some variety of melee taking advantage of recent point drops to shove some Deathwing Knights in and score some vicious damage. Aggressors, especially as elites (along with Reivers :blink.: ) are completely miscast in their role, compete too much for the elite slot, and are just outright inferior to alternatives for it while not bringing sufficient damage to the enemy and requiring a ridiculous investment for reliable delivery.

It seems we are arguing two completely different things so I'm going to drop it here.

It sounds like a lot of stuff listed is what would be needed for Primaris to completely replace classic Astartes - which is humorous because that's what I thought that most people didnt't want to see happen...

Why would you come up with things that classic Marines currently do if you don't want the Primaris to straight up replace them? Or is this list supposed to be a "I'm resigned to completely replacing my classic Marines, so these are the type of Primaris I'd like to make that less painful to me"?

I've always wanted it to just be a complete replace and thought the Primaris venture itself was stupid. Makes more sense to just replace everything as a simple rescaling like 2e than GW keep giving us these off-brand units with reduced effectiveness. So far the only Primaris units I'd consider to be a real success are Intercessors, Hellblasters, and Inceptors after the latest point drop. Otherwise they're still just languishing behind their stunty kin with anemic HQ choices and bizarre elites that have no real punch to them. My worst case fear is that we keep getting these "the hell am I supposed to do with this" kind of units from GW; the stunty marines get completely removed a couple years later and the entire marine army is left as this incredibly anemic force depending on vehicular support and one infantry unit for any kind of tank-busting. In a game positively infested with superheavies which leaves the amy in a rather morbid situation of being undergunned.

It's also an issue of releases where GW seems to just be designing units based upon what they think is cool instead of what's needed on the table. Anything able to deepstrike melta, pack melee in with hardy invul saves and bring back 2+ saves (or hell just add artificer armor again), or load up on a bunch of lascannons would be a major boon. Something like hellblasters, but with 10 lascannons with assault, rapid fire, and heavy varieties to give you reliable means to smoke hard targets from a distance.

It's hard to see whether it was most people or just a vocal minority. Also a thread like this is bound to attract more people who wouldn't mind such a thing than people who do mind it. Also also it's been some time since Primaris got introduced and I assume many who disliked Primaris got used to them by now.

Its a thread asking what Primaris Marines are missing, looking for responses from people who are fully embracing Primaris. The OP is using it to judge what older units that they should still invest in, so our responses should look like a wish list.

As a space wolf player I have options that fit the weaknesses I brought up (smash captains, wulfen, long fangs, etc.)  They just don't fit into the lore of my homebrew (mostly since before the new fluff space wolves didn't have successors).  I think classic marines will be around for quite awhile more so with the pace that GW is setting for Primaris releases.

It's hard to see whether it was most people or just a vocal minority.

I guess I meant "most people that didn't like Primaris".

Volt, I'm pretty sure that "designing what they think is cool" is definitely how it works - especially since the models come first and according to Goodwin, there are years worth of Primaris concepts already done up, they just need minis made from them. Unfortunately I don't think that's going to change.

Instead of a Hellblaster style lascannon unit, I think a Suppressor style heavy las weapon would be a pretty potent addition to the Primaris functional load out.

Actually listening to what the GW folks are saying about Primaris might give a better idea of what might be done with Primaris, rather than trying to determine "what do they need to replace," since that doesn't seem to be the idea GW has with them.

So what do the Primaris still need? Things that classic Marines don't do - or at least that they don't do the "classic Marine way."

Yeah, pretty much. Stop cock teasing about replacing Old marines, go full throttle with Primaris versions of classic units, add in some Deus Ex Belisarius new ones like jetbike lancers and destroyers, pull the mark 7 range, and devote those resources into making plastic mark 2-6 tacticals for the heresy you can buy resin upgrades to make special units for and call it a done deal. Make an index Old Marines for people who play historical 40k pre-Gathering Storm and can use the Heresy plastics to mix marks up to give you a more genuine Age of the Imperium army.

The core Primaris range is good right now, but we are at the same point Sigmarines are at, where all the flavor stuff to make your armies better represent your lore are non-existent. Every force is essentially the same models in different schemes. Bring back the personalization, where two Primaris standing next to each other from different chapters, are each as unique and characterful as that chapter.

The beauty of the space marines has always been their ability to make them your own. You could have super spec ops raptors, barbarians in fur executioners, gothic knight black templars, monastic Dark Angels dripping with skulls and prayer cloths, drake scaled salamanders, holy warrior Fire Angels, or any thing you wanted. Primaris models are all spec ops and gun rails. They come with a limiting built in aesthetic. The range will really be cool when they expand it beyond the ‘on the rails’ build and paint it is now.

Edited by Marshal Rohr

Its a thread asking what Primaris Marines are missing, looking for responses from people who are fully embracing Primaris. The OP is using it to judge what older units that they should still invest in, so our responses should look like a wish list.

As a space wolf player I have options that fit the weaknesses I brought up (smash captains, wulfen, long fangs, etc.)  They just don't fit into the lore of my homebrew (mostly since before the new fluff space wolves didn't have successors).  I think classic marines will be around for quite awhile more so with the pace that GW is setting for Primaris releases.

As the OP, I can confirm that I’m looking for answers to “what do I still need from classic marines”. Obviously GW is replacing classic marines but in a way where they aren’t exact copies but better. Hellblasters are not devistators, but they film that role of fire support. So we still need high strength long range weapons. Dedicated CC power weapons. And a unit with invol saves. It’s been said a few times here but I keep seeing mention of bikes, and I don’t think they can do anything with bikes that inceptors don’t already have covered, but maybe I’ll be proven wrong.

I’m actually beginning to think a dedicated battle tank won’t be happening, and I’m not sure that’s a bad thing. If they give the repulsor a nice big cannon, it should be set. As has been pointed out, there isn’t really a point cost on transportation.

The funny thing here is that this thread includes arguments about things like TEQ being uncompetitive while simultaneously including arguments that Primaris need more access to lascannons and melta.

You can't really have it both ways. Today's competitive 40k is devoid of armour that doesn't have an invuln or hard to hit, or is cheap enough to bring in numbers. If Terminators have no place in this competitive meta, then Lascannons and melta have no place there either. Case in point, those weapons are rarely included.

Mid strength, high rate of fire, 2-3 damage weapons trump everything else today in efficiency against the armour you'll face in the competitive meta.

That's not to say it's wrong to want these units, just that using the argument that it is "needed" to be competitive doesn't hold much water.

What Primaris need above all is either universal Chapter agnostic access to the reroll wounds gman buff, or that buff needs to disappear and the units take a serious point drop.

Secondary to that are additional buffs for units on the cusp of elite status. Gravis should definitely be 2+, or reduce damage, or come with a baseline FnP or add another wound, and with it an offensive boost with an extra attack and the ability to charge after advancing. That would make them fantastic durable, elite units.

Reivers likewise need a boost - power weapon stats on those blades, and better rules for terror troops and shock grenades.

The assault and heavy versions of bolt rifles and plasma incinerators need a tweak to add purpose and choice.

I feel, before any new units are added, the current ones need to be improved so that their role is achieved successfully.

Edited by Lemondish

Do I want to see Primaris replace old Marines? :censored: no. However I also didn't want Fantasy to die, BFG to die, HH SWs to be ruined, Gathering Storm to happen etc. But that all did, so it becomes a matter of working around/through/avoiding the terrible changes GW have made to their setting/products.

Current Primaris are just a bit of a mess imo because GW have been so cagey about replacing Marines. They've put Primaris in this 'similar, but not standing on all the Marines toes' position, while at the same time making the fluff blatant in its 'Primaris are the future' routine, but without giving us enough stuff and fluff to understand how that's meant to work. From the big level questions like 'how is a Primaris Chapter structured?' and 'how does a Primaris Chapter function when they seem to lack xyz?' to more minor things that just reek of the studio not thinking things through, such as 'why can I have Primaris Wolf Lords and Battle Leaders, but not Primaris Wolf Guard? That makes no sense given the Wolves Chapter structure'.

At this point, while I maintain Primaris were a true mistake and unnecessary addition, I'd kinda prefer them to just get it over with, pull off the plaster in one rip and give us a Primaris range that feels like a coherent force, rather than nibbling at the edges with a collection of individual units and ideas bolted onto regular Marines, clearly being replacements but struggling to stand independently. Make a clean break of it and move forward, instead of this 'Schroedinger's squatting' of old Marines. Or roll back the clock, but that's even less likely :wink:.

If anything, GW have actually been blatant in their fluff and statements that classic marines are not getting replaced and aren’t going anywhere. They have stated that (and included fluff in codices about) classic marines are still being made and Primaris are only an addition. Even the mechanism for upgrading classics to Primaris is very difficult in the fluff and can’t only currently be used on exceptional cases.

Primaris need to be able to stand as both a thing on their own and sit nicely alongside the classic marine range, so they need their own distinct units. Replacing classic marines with identical Primaris units is not the answer to this, because this will really put off people who prefer the classic aethesetic from ever buying 40k marines again.

For people who like the new Primaris only because of the bigger size, I would just say wait a few years for GW, designers may get tired of Primaris. They will then probably return to designing classic units for a couple of years and make new versions in the same scaling as the space marine heroes and chaos marines. New recent FW space marines are all being done at this sort of size.

What’s missing from the Primaris line is more unique and different units, it’s the way ahead for Primaris imo :)

That’s why they should release a ‘historical 40k’ index along side individual mark squads rereleased in deathwatch scale. Between that and the Heresy we’d all have our bases covered and they can focus on the Primaris Line.

They are lacking:

• Techmarines
  • Terminator Equivalent
  • Bikers

Beyond a dedicated melee unit I would just like to be able to add a chainsword to the Primaris kit or and this isn't exactly better but some rule for Primaris that says something like in close combat any to hit roll of a 6+ (Or a 5=,6+) counts as 2 hits. I would also add the Orks Dakka Dakka Dakka, I think I mean Bolter Drill, to Primaris but I haven't really thought about these very much and I know people aren't fans of random things.  

Not sure just how much I agree about a cheep transport as I see the Repulsor as an intended tax on obviously strong units like Hellblasters. But I think that comes from GW's early ideas on what balance was meant to be before any power creep. So I could be way off on not wanting one as things have changed. 

Lastly I don't agree with bikers but mostly because I am not really a fan of biker as such and can't stand painting them. I think what ever it is should hover as that seems to be a strong trend with Primaris but if I wanted that why wouldn't I just add what is probably a superior unit from the Custodies? (I hear they are really good. lol.)  Which I think is what GW hopes people will do. I think it's fair to say they see 40K very differently that a large chunk of the player do.

I will say that I am always in favor of more choices/options than less every time. 

Edited by Warhead01

I'm not disturbed by Primaris marines lacking some capabilities. I like them better as supplements to my regular marines and don't want to think about them as a viable replacement

But this does not adress the fact that there are Primaris only chapters, and they lack structure.

They are far from being a supplement to OG marines.

I firmly belive this was handled poorly by GW.

Edited by Sete