New Marine Player: Help Starting Raptors

gmaleron

Hello everyone. Been awhile but i am looking at finally getting around to do a Marine army thanks to the new Contrast paints. I currently have Krieg and Orks and want to do a Raptors army because I love the color scheme and their fluff. I do have some questions though and would appreciate some help:

-Of course want to run Lias Issodon but what is the best way to utilize him? Seems like his Warlord Trait is useless thanks to being only able to Deepstrike from turn 2.

-Phobos Marines seem tailor made for Raptors, anyone have a any good ideas/tactics to utilize them? Don't care if it's not a super competitive list but I don't want to get wrecked every game.

-Assuming I can use Raven Guard Chapter Tactics and Stratagems?

Edited by gmaleron

Welcome to the fold! Infiltrators are great for board control if you're trying to deny deep strike. Alternatively a unit if then with the Helix can be very stubborn objective holders, and even better if they're in cover.

I'm not sure on the strats and tactics. We've got several raptors players in here that would be about to answer that question.

Edited by thewarriorhunter

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought per the FAQ successors can't use chapter warlord traits, is this true for raptors or can they use it?

Not particularly relevant in this particular case.

Issodon is an auto take. He's too good not to. And if you take him you probably want him to be the Warlord.

The Raven Guard Warlord Trait is useless unless you're charging, and if you're charging with Lias you've already screwed up badly enough to cost you the game.

If you’re really into using the Infiltrators jest keep in mind they are very expensive for what they do compared to Scouts. You’ll want a Phobos Librarian and Lieutenant to get the most out of them. This isn’t going to be a point and click combo. You’ll need to build the rest of your army around this set up imo as a denial style army .

For “Scouts” especially using our Chapter Tactic these guys are going to be hard to shift through shooting so be prepared for a way to counter melee attacks. This is an excellent list to deny the Beta Strike and to get your own Beta Strike off using Lias. Shame you can’t do it using Primaris. Lias like everything else under the sun apparently can’t get the SOBs to move around the board any better than anything else in the a Astartes arsenal. Lazy A holes these Primaris lot ;)

Jokes aside Lias tricks don’t work well with Primaris models but the Phobos could supplement a list designed to work around him. All this on just opinion mind you as I would need cto dive deeper into testing the rules out of Shadowspear before I gave this advice without reservation.

Here's the deal:

For most purposes, Raptors are no different than Raven Guard in any aspect except color.  Feel free to treat them just the same as regards Warlord Traits, stratagems and tactics.

However, once you add Issodon into the mix, competitive players might try to give you a hard time. By all means, don't try taking Shrike and Issodon - but who would want to?

As for Phobos, they're the reason I play Raptors - lots of deep strike denial and deployment shenanigans.  But Issodon doesn't mesh too well with them at this time.

• 1 month later...

Yes

Not a point and click with Aggressors like it use to be, but still useful. I believe it is a stratagem that is top notch if you're willing to put in the work to pilot a list designed to utilize it to effect. I don't have experience with Infiltrator units yet but they seem perfect. They provide you with forward units that can then be supplemented with other Primaris units thus saving CP.

If the speculation about the pictures of what looked like a dedicated transport end up being true, Primaris especially Raven Guard are going to have a very mobile force with enough deployment shenanigans to give GSC a pause :)

I'm very hopeful to see a reasonably costed transport for Primaris to combine with SftS. (fingers crossed).