Chapters gifting vehicles?

Okay, so. I picked up a Razorback for $10 today; I'm loathe to destroy the paint job and Nurgle it into a Chaos Rhino or something, and I'm equally loathe to strip it and make it into a Crimson Knights vehicle. I'm wondering if there's precedent for Chapters gifting each other vehicles (Blood Ravens' method of acquiring "gifts" notwithstanding), and if there can be a reason the Crimson Knights would possess a Razorback of the Black Templars, I'd looooove to hear it.

Blood and Fire (republished in the Armageddon onmibus) describes the Black Templars gifting the Celestial Lions with an entire strike cruiser, in addition to other materiel, to help rebuild their brother Chapter. Although a gifted vehicle will likely be repainted in the new Chapter's colors, it's possible the recipient will leave a panel in the original colors- maybe add the original Chapter's symbol in a corner- to honor the original owners for their generosity. Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

The Crimson Knights don't share gene-seed, but they did almost literally limp out of the Eye of Terror still loyal and fight their way past Chaos stuff; I could see a Black Templars Crusade helping to pick them up along the way and Retribution being gifted to them alongside some other equipment.

If the razorback is predominately Black (which I’m assuming it is being Templars) you could use it as the personal transport of your chapter’s senior Chaplain. You’d probably need to do a few tweaks but it would mean you wouldn’t have to repaint the whole thing and it has a fluffy reason for being a different colour to the chapter norm.

Ah well, worth a shot. I think Bjorn is right that even a gifted vehicle would be repainted with the new chapters colours. Although Black Templars do allow the Templar cross to be displayed on the vehicles of allies who have proven themselves (in Helsreach Grimaldus meets a navy pilot whose squadron were given permission to have the cross on their aircraft by a Templar marshal and after a joint crusade with the Crimson Fists the Fists painted the cross on their knee as a mark of brotherhood) but it would be in addition to the usual scheme.

Would it not go against the notion that machine spirits don't like having their original colours repainted? That's given as the reason techmarines keep one pad painted in the chapter colours. It was also referenced in TBA when High Marshal Bohemond gives a set of ancient IF terminator armour to Chapter Master Koorland. The armour had been repainted in IF Yellow, which was said not to be a problem, as that was essentially its original colour.

(The same problem probably wasn't as much of an issue during the first founding as back then everyone didn't believe in machine spirits)

Perhaps that could be your fluff justification?

That could absolutely work.  The Razorback Transport Retribution, formerly of the Black Templars, and its indomitable Machine Spirit, were gifted to the Crimson Knights following the conclusion of the Abyssal Crusade; in order to better appease the Machine Spirit (something the Crimson Knights had a greater respect and reverence for after merging with the Auric Knights, a Successor of the Iron Hands), and to honor the Black Templars' generosity, they left Retribution's original paint job in place. Retribution is now the personal transport of the Crimson Knights' Master Artificer, Restituto Coleus, and his retinue of Servitors. It is arguably better-maintained than the Chapter's own vehicles, being that it is indeed Coleus' own transport, though Coleus takes great care of all vehicles under his purview. In addition, Razorbacks are (thanks to the existence of Retribution) the standard vehicles Techmarines of the Crimson Knights utilize (although this varies; the Techmarines of the 1st and 7th Companies go on foot and utilize a bike, respectively).

Fine, fine. Really though I think you imagination is the limit. Crimson knights save a squad of Templar’s when one pilots their own transport to safety. To honor the machine spirit they gift the transport to the care of those that recovered it. They left the paint job as is again to honor its spirit.

Go nuts.

Would it not go against the notion that machine spirits don't like having their original colours repainted? That's given as the reason techmarines keep one pad painted in the chapter colours. It was also referenced in TBA when High Marshal Bohemond gives a set of ancient IF terminator armour to Chapter Master Koorland. The armour had been repainted in IF Yellow, which was said not to be a problem, as that was essentially its original colour.

(The same problem probably wasn't as much of an issue during the first founding as back then everyone didn't believe in machine spirits)

Perhaps that could be your fluff justification?

Machine Spirits is a difficult topic. Sometimes they can stear vehicles all on their own and sometimes they aren't much more than a targeting assistant. Sometimes they are heavily upset by having the armour re-painted, sometimes you wouldn't even notice there's a machine spirit in there.

Fact is that while we have fluff mentions of a machine spirit being problematic when trying to re-paint armour, we also have lots of fluff mentions of armour getting re-painted without any mention of machine spirits or such.

So in the end it depends on what fluff you want for that piece of equipment. If you want to keep the original colours just say that this machine spirit in particular is a problematic one because it's so loyal to its original chapter or whatever. Maybe leave only part of the armour in its original colours to please it enough to work but still have it part of your army visually. If you want to repaint it just say that this machine spirit is apparently fine with it. Done.

Edited by sfPanzer

Gifts are absolutely a thing. What I would agree with though is most likely the recipient would repaint the vehicle and only leave a small tribute to the former owner somewhere on the vehicle.

My DA successor is going to be gifted a hover-predator from the DA as soon as I get around to building and painting the dang model

• 3 weeks later...
Why does it have to be a gift? Why not salvage? Or Maybe rescue. Said tank was abandoned and never recovered. The Crimson Knights show up after a period of time and encounter the Razorback. .. " honor the battle gear of the dead." The galaxy is a big place. No Templars around to ask. Perhaps the Templars declined the tank on grounds of .... Well thats probably not going to happen. Still. Perhaps the tank is just temporarily under care.