Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Another go at blast weapons...again...simpler this time

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,730 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

So yet another crack of that ol' chestnut with an idea that may just bring it in line. Lets get into it because it is straight up that simple.

All random shot weapons are now just set number of shots (except for those that it makes sense for in orks because those xenos always have unpredictable results). So now those weapons can have a set number of shots however there is a special rule I want to add to those weapons.

"When targeting CharactersVehicles or Monster; half the number of shots this weapon has rounding down"

This now means things like demolisher cannons can have something respectable for an explosive weapon like 6 shots which will leave infantry going for cover but against targets like tanks and other big stuff those things will get less hits but the stats of the weapon balance it out (basically a demolisher cannon being 24", heavy 6, Str10, AP3, Damage D6 + the new rule here makes it so it can once again be a good takes all weapon it once was).

This is a simple method with no special extra bar what amounts to what could be called the "Sniper" rule (weapons or units with "can target characters even if not the closest target"). This way we can remove the variance factor from random shot weapons which is their biggest issue in being actually good.

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,087 posts

So yet another crack of that ol' chestnut with an idea that may just bring it in line. Lets get into it because it is straight up that simple.

All random shot weapons are now just set number of shots (except for those that it makes sense for in orks because those xenos always have unpredictable results). So now those weapons can have a set number of shots however there is a special rule I want to add to those weapons.

"When targeting CharactersVehicles or Monster; half the number of shots this weapon has rounding down"

This now means things like demolisher cannons can have something respectable for an explosive weapon like 6 shots which will leave infantry going for cover but against targets like tanks and other big stuff those things will get less hits but the stats of the weapon balance it out (basically a demolisher cannon being 24", heavy 6, Str10, AP3, Damage D6 + the new rule here makes it so it can once again be a good takes all weapon it once was).

This is a simple method with no special extra bar what amounts to what could be called the "Sniper" rule (weapons or units with "can target characters even if not the closest target"). This way we can remove the variance factor from random shot weapons which is their biggest issue in being actually good.

I like this, but with one caveat: Titanic units would be exempt from that rule. Because.... Just how is artillery going to miss something the size of a Baneblade or a Knight? laugh.png

Edited by Gederas, 10 June 2019 - 01:39 AM.

WoodsyMP5K

WoodsyMP5K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 36 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

An interesting idea though i had a thought that would (in honesty) make it slightly more complex.

Two different "Blast" weapon profiles :

Blast 6 / D3

Blast 3 / 1

Roll a single dice to hit. if it hits you score the first profile

if it misses you hit the second profile.

Exmaples

Missle Launcher - Roll a hit so you score 6 auto-hits

Roll a miss you score D3 auto-hits

Plasma Cannonr - Roll a hit so you score 3 auto-hits

Roll a miss you score 1 hit

There are obviously examples of weapons that are Heavy 2D6 or 2D3 etc and i think this method could scale.

Would make a whirlwind mighty nice!

There are still plenty of weapons that need that randomness to ensure they're not OP. Previously mentioned Ork wepaons and the big guns on super heavies. These could simply stay as Heavy D6

Edited by WoodsyMP5K, 30 August 2019 - 12:27 PM.

• Kallas likes this

Wulf Vengis

Wulf Vengis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 700 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
@ Gederas: It's not that it's missing the target. The blast just isn't having the same effect against rise harder targets as against a more vulnerable infantry one.

As for Titanic targets i assume 454 be reducing the amount of wounds from half to one.
[center][img=http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h399/Wulf_Vengis1/gallery_21629_1142_21859.gif][/center]

And then you have the Space Wolves and thematically you have to say it's akin to being ridden down by a man-wolf, riding a wolf, hitting you in the face with a bag of wolf-cubs.

[url=http://wulf-vengis.deviantart.com/gallery/33930754]The Lone Wolf Saga[/url] or [url=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=242640&st=0&gopid=2960139&#entry2960139]The Lone Wolf Saga[/url]
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: Orlath83
PSN: Orlath

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users