Tyranid Movement trays

dbecer01

I was curious about movement trays, and if any of you have used them? They look like real time savers, but might mess up movement as far: as taking optimal cover; moving through terrain; and optimal charge distances. However chess clocks are a thing in tournaments around here, so do you guys feel like they're great or more trouble than their worth?

I don’t use them, but reading your context I get where this is coming from. Especially the first two rounds :p.

Like you say yourself, it’ll speed up the movement phase but at the same time it might impede on strategy. Optimal placing for pile in later/ getting an objective etc.

I never had to work with chess clocks and I’m glad for that. Would make me nervous. But I do try to play as fast as possible. Knowing how you’ll move in advance, what stratagems you want to use etc does help. I try to use my opponents turn as much as possible.

I guess you could always start with them and move and if for any reason strategy wise it’s better to take them out, you could always do that. Unless there is a rule that prevents you from doing that?

I just played this past weekend against an ork player using them, ten man trays, so 3 trays = a full squad.

They definitely seemed useful, and he spoke appreciatively of them, for giving him a chance to finish games.

They definitely sped up his deployment and movement phases, he actually finished deployment quicker than I did with Chaos.

I can't report on cover, as we ended up playing on a pretty flat table, and I had noise marines for the squad that was in area terrain.

He did pull models out of the trays to pile in around the edges of combat, but otherwise just pulled models from the back as needed.

I use them a lot in AoS (undead) and they are good, and I also use them with Tyranids and loving them.

There are not so many terrains you can put 30 models squad in cover and you probably want to left them to less numerous/more costly squads. Also if you need to spread out you can use a mixed approach, using combination of "5 man in line" trays and "3 first line, 2 second line" ones and if needed put out of the tray 2/3 models to do that maximum 2" spread you want

So, my advice is:

5- models -> not needed, unwieldy if unit needs cover

10 models -> good

20 models -> very good

30+ models -> NEEDED