Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

There are no [chaplains] on Fenris (a possible GT list)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) ++

+ HQ +

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought: Twin lascannon
. Melee weapon: Dreadnought combat weapon, Storm bolter

Iron Priest on Bike: Boltgun, Thunder hammer
. Bike: Twin boltgun

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad: 4x Infilltrator, Infiltrator Sergeant

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) ++

+ HQ +

+ Heavy Support +

Eliminator Squad
. 2x Eliminator: 2x Bolt sniper rifle, 2x Camo cloak
. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle, Camo cloak

Eliminator Squad
. 2x Eliminator: 2x Bolt sniper rifle, 2x Camo cloak
. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle, Camo cloak

Rapier Carrier: 2x Space Marine Gunner
. Rapier Carrier: Quad launcher

Rapier Carrier: 2x Space Marine Gunner
. Rapier Carrier: Quad launcher

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought: 2x Heavy flamer, Storm cannon array, Storm cannon array

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) ++

+ HQ +

Bjorn the Fell-handed: Heavy flamer, Twin lascannon

Njal Stormcaller in Runic Terminator Armour: 1. Living Lightning, 2. Tempest's Wrath, 3. Murderous Hurricane

++ Total: [122 PL, 1CP, 1,998pts] ++

GT will be in a few weeks and my local meta includes ITC heavy hitters in attendance (like BAO winners etc.)

Now that ITC has specific faction point scoring rules I will be going as pure wolves and dropping my knight allies

I know it won't be easy

I was originally planning a bjorn and shield dread list but the longer I thought about it the less confident I was in the defense of the 8 wound 4++ platform.

I was trying to figure out what offered better defense when it finally dawned on me. The best defense is taking 0 shots

There are 2 theories driving this list:
(1) Bjorn is amazing and the chaplain venerable is like having 3 more mini bjorns
(2) The best defense in the game is character protection preventing shots in the first place

If all goes as planned this list plays defense and counter charges in an ITC environment. I may not score much but you will score nothing. I just need to score more than you to win.

Maximize character protection rules to create 8 BS2 lascannons that can't be shot by my opponent
Everything else is out of LOS and hopefully in ruins or something
I can score recon or king of the hill or engineers while keeping my head down

If all goes well I should start racking up my secondary points while also getting hold/kill more on turns 1 and 2 before enemy movement starts putting pressure on me.

The army has 11 CP to play with but doesn't need any stratagem except for keen senses to function.

I am debating removing the 3rd infiltrator for a unit that can use CP. Like a GH or BC unit on the hunt.
I can send a plasma/melta GH squad to pop out or roll the dice with BCs and 6 PF attacks on the charge

However...I kept deciding 10 infiltrator wounds hiding out of LOS probably do more considering the rest of my list

C&C welcomed

Edited by TiguriusX, 10 June 2019 - 08:16 PM.

A digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side

Inglorious Drunkard Champion-Night 3 (2012)

ETL first time participant-2018

ETL-2019

gallery_48988_15465_42927.png

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,487 posts

Seems fun and cool! That many infiltrators deploying in cover will be sweet. I like the concept of the character targeting barrier, its a great way to nullify a lot of their weapons when it counts. 

I think you'll really be a thorn in a lot of sides.

• Watcher likes this

NightHowler

NightHowler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 868 posts
  • Faction: The Hand at the Gate
If you add a vindicare assassin, does it still count as pure wolves for faction scoring?

"By the River fettered Fenrir will lie till draws nigh the doom of the Gods." - Frey, Lokasenna: 41

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,487 posts

If you add a vindicare assassin, does it still count as pure wolves for faction scoring?

If you use the strat yes, but not if you add a Officio detachment.

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts
i unfortunately do not own the WD magazine with assassin rules so I am not comfortable taking it to a GT.

It would basically replace a rapier cannon if i did it.

Having a sideboard would be awesome...i own all 4 assassins

A digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side

ETL-2019

NightHowler

NightHowler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 868 posts
I say use the stratagem, and take the assassins. Gives you flexibility, a pure wolf list, and a surprise for your opponent.
  • Watcher likes this

"By the River fettered Fenrir will lie till draws nigh the doom of the Gods." - Frey, Lokasenna: 41

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

so GW announced digital versions of WD back order available june 15th.

if i am able to buy that i am going assassins and removing 1 rapier

https://www.warhamme...omepage-post-2/

White Dwarf 2019 Goes Digital!
From the 15th June, you’ll be able to pre-order shiny, new digital copies of White Dwarf. In addition to June’s issue, you’ll be able to get the issues from January 2019 to May 2019 as well. So if you like to read your favourite monthly magazine on your phone or tablet, you’re in for a treat!

This is a fantastic opportunity to catch up on any of the exclusive rules that you may have missed from previous issues, such as Assassins, Crimson Fists and more. There’ll be digital editions of each issue moving forwards too!

Edited by TiguriusX, 13 June 2019 - 10:00 PM.

ETL-2019

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts
$7.99 for digital version...can download 1 day before the GT

https://www.games-wo...March-epub-2019

Good enough for me!

I have officially submitted my list

removed 1 rapier carrier and inserted a variable assassin

9 CP to start and many shenanigans to unveil

to battle!
  • NightHowler likes this

ETL-2019

NightHowler

NightHowler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 868 posts
Good luck man! Let us know how it plays.
  • TiguriusX likes this

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

Army is on my tray and ready to go....will try and prime everything before the actual event if I can find time

Got all models approved by TO today

Biggest issue was the HF I can't swap out on the melee arms.  He said so long as they ALL have a flamer claw arm I can call it SBs

I just swapped the arm from Bjorn and put it on to comply (his arm was originally from the 3rd BA dread I got from this set)

Bjorn HF is default equipment so I have wiggle room for not showing it

med_gallery_49686_15551_164662.jpg

• PeteySödes likes this

ETL-2019

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts
Good news is I won best space wolf

Bad news is I was the only space wolf heh

I went WLLLW (2-3)

The list has potential and i had many people nervous to be matched against it.

Unfortunately i was rusty and with 0 practice games i had to learn some lessons the hard way

The list is heavily dependent on terrain and i was smoked when the board had nothing to hide inside. also...there is never enough terrain to hide all 3 infiltrators. i actually sent them on the hunt a few times. i can save points by using intercessors for tbat job.

The list is heavily dependent on quality of 8 LC shots. I rolled far too many 1s and 2s to wound. Game 3 on day 1 i faced a DW player with 2 xiphon flyers (4 lc each)

i did 0 damage after 2 rounds of firing and everyone nearby was making eesh noises when i rolled. the 1s and 2s also resulted in a dead leviathan when all his LC connected turn 1. opponent was telling me to borrow his dice

Point is I need a wgbl

The list also has no room for mentsl errors. i have to make the right moves and pay a heavy price for mistakes. game 2 i faced SOB with BA allies and all these juicy characters hid behind a transport. i blew up a different transport first and then fluffed some rolls leaving characters hidden.

that meant my vindicare had jack squat to do and on my opponent turn every character scurried out of LOS.

speaking of assassins i had only 1 of 5 games where assassin had positive contributions. callidus in game 1 cost my admech opponent 6 extra CP. other than that vindicares were pathetic and killed 0 targets. one game was his vindicare v mine. i did 3 damage after multiple rolls. he got d6 and rolled 6 to win the competition

i will make some tweaks and jump back into games when i have time. the list definitely has potential
  • PeteySödes, Triszin, jbickb and 1 other like this

ETL-2019

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,487 posts

Not enough terrain to even hide eliminators? Gross...

• TiguriusX likes this

NightHowler

NightHowler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 868 posts
Even a great list has no defense against cold dice. When the crowd starts cringing, you know you’re rolling under the odds.
  • TiguriusX likes this

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

I have made modifications to the list based on my GT experience

removed iron priest
removed 2 infiltrators 
removed rapier

added wgbl (I was desperate for reroll of 1s to wound)
added terminators (backup plan to block for hqs if leviathan dies)

added intercessors with power sword (out flank unit to kill rear guard and stop people earning engineer against me)
added GH (hide in the back out of LOS on objective...troop tax basically)

9 CP after paying for assassin

I could go nuts and make WGBL have WL trait for A+1 as well but I don't expect much combat from him where it would matter

Spoiler

Edited by TiguriusX, 25 June 2019 - 06:28 PM.

ETL-2019

One Two Wolf

One Two Wolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 86 posts
If you take the warlord trait that gives you +1 to wound (beastslayer I think?) on one of the chaplains, once you kill a vehicle or monster the bubble means your eight LC shots are wounding T8 on 2's. Add in your WGBL and oh boy.

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

If you take the warlord trait that gives you +1 to wound (beastslayer I think?) on one of the chaplains, once you kill a vehicle or monster the bubble means your eight LC shots are wounding T8 on 2's. Add in your WGBL and oh boy.

Yes i took beast slayer and achieved aura in 4/5 games. Storm bolters and heavy flamers became anti tank guns. it was fun.

If i had a wgbl in the GT would have made a huge difference

ETL-2019

One Two Wolf

One Two Wolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 86 posts
Although pricey my choice would be Arjac - epically powerful and can HI if you need him to (but I suppose all the dreads can too). Would be a nice touch of fluff.

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

Although pricey my choice would be Arjac - epically powerful and can HI if you need him to (but I suppose all the dreads can too). Would be a nice touch of fluff.

Arjac is usually the right choice. However this list is one of the few where he is a bad idea.

The character buffing the dread castle requires the armor of russ. It protects the dreads from a smash captain type elite melee unit running in at me.

I can kill anything in the game with all the dreads swinging first and the entire castle getting a 6" heroic intervention

ETL-2019

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

So I had some more field testing at a local RTT

Went 1-2 with an easy win against a shooty IH army (basically what my list is a hard counter to); a close loss to a knight/white scar/IG tank commander list (white scar bike character advancing and charging 20+ inches to kill my last engineers on the other side of a wall cost me dearly....bad positioning from me); and a bad loss to deathwatch (their wound tricks are very effective against my dreads)

My feedback is there is no room for error when playing and I felt I was missing a few important tools from my toolbox

I failed to max out secondaries in every game.  Recon was a trap because I had no backup units to fill in if I was killed.  I originally planned on using my dreads to do it but I simply couldn't make the push.

For example I wanted to seize the middle terrain and objective but I couldn't send in the dreads because they would be shot if they stepped in front of their screen....and I couldn't use my infantry or terminators because they weren't strong enough to do the job then survive to screen

I was disappointed in my outflank assault force (intercessors + terminators) because they simply didn't have the killing power I was hoping to clear backfield units.  One game I needed to kill 5 scouts and 10 guard who were both engineer units.  I barely killed 5 scouts with the combined firepower and both failed charges.

I have a change in mind but am hesitant to implement it because I install a detachment of knights and lose the SW qualification

Spoiler

ETL-2019

Watcher

Watcher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 112 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves, Deathwatch

I say use the stratagem, and take the assassins. Gives you flexibility, a pure wolf list, and a surprise for your opponent.

I would second this, a Vindicare or an Eversor go a long way! However, you do have a surplus of Eliminators so it may not be necessary.

It seem like a fun list, the character denial is especially rude. May I ask why Infiltrators over running them as Incursors? I'm still not totally familiar with their rules but it seems they may be cheaper and more effective?

Otherwise, would love to hear an update after the GT. This is a brutal list.

"It's funny. That time when you saved old Adrian from those fanatics I thought I heard him offer you your heart's desire. He would have sent you home if you asked. Instead you asked for a meat pie."
..."It was a big pie." - Torin the Wayfarer
gallery_26154_15777_721.png

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

I would second this, a Vindicare or an Eversor go a long way! However, you do have a surplus of Eliminators so it may not be necessary.

It seem like a fun list, the character denial is especially rude. May I ask why Infiltrators over running them as Incursors? I'm still not totally familiar with their rules but it seems they may be cheaper and more effective?

Otherwise, would love to hear an update after the GT. This is a brutal list.

My list did include an assassin as well.

That is why the eliminators are useful.  When the vindicare left a few wounds on a target I could try and pick him off.

Eliminators can hide in ruins and still fire through walls.   Awesome utility unit when used for character blocking

• Watcher likes this

ETL-2019

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users