Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Culverin Models - 19/03/20 - Ursa Troop Transport Preview v2

Scenery 28mm

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Ldorte

Ldorte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts

Hello peoples,

We have just launched our "Outpost 23" set. This set includes 2x Outpost Buildings, 1x Outpost Watchtower, 8x Barriers, 6x Extra Small Oblong Crate, 6x Extra Small Cube Crate and 4x Small Oblong Crate.

Each Outpost Building can house 12 models on 25mm bases and the roof is removable. The Outpost Watchtower can house 7 models on 25mm bases and the roof is removable.

XSfKKZA.png

OynaGnb.png

In other news the Fortress Kickstarter has reached 43% funding! A fantastic start and we are well on the way to 100% before time runs out. Thank you to all those who have backed so far and any future backers.

9gdgKQl.png

• Brother Lunkhead likes this

EjjRGyF.jpg   uLhxjKW.png   gallery_29004_6198_5690.pnggallery_30308_9518_1964.pnggallery_30308_9518_7224.pnggallery_30308_9518_813.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Culverin Models - - 28mm Scenery for 40k - - website - - ebay -- kickstarter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gnomeo

Gnomeo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 32 posts
Man these look amazing!!! Would be amazing if you had a broken wall section as well. The we could fight in the breech would be epic!
  • Ldorte likes this

roryokane

roryokane

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 167 posts

I came here looking for Volkites! :P
Loljk, these look great. The turrets are somewhat reminiscent of those of Malcador tanks. :)

• Ldorte likes this

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,117 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
Hmmm this looks really good!
  • Ldorte likes this

-~Ishagu~-

happyslugger

happyslugger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 341 posts
When I get back from my break I will order one of these for sure

Edited by happyslugger, 27 August 2019 - 03:46 PM.

• Ldorte likes this

8.jpg

Armies:  Blood Angels; Death Guard, Nurgle Daemons, Chaos Knights and Custodes.

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,470 posts
  • Faction: Praetorian Sword, Ultramarines

Very fine indeedthumbsup.gif

• Ldorte likes this

gallery_26154_15777_13780.png

Ldorte

Ldorte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts

Thanks for the kind words chaps!

@Gnomeo - I actually added a ruined wall section to the kickstarter to all existing and future pledges (of the 5 predetermined levels) for free on Saturday! Image below, you get 2 of these in a set, one of the halfs is mirrored so you can create either a ruined middle section or two ruined wall ends.

5a476c42829d2c9619df889be0447c3b_origina

Edited by Ldorte, 28 August 2019 - 09:42 AM.

• Redrandy93, Lexington and jeremy1391 like this

EjjRGyF.jpg   uLhxjKW.png   gallery_29004_6198_5690.pnggallery_30308_9518_1964.pnggallery_30308_9518_7224.pnggallery_30308_9518_813.png

Ldorte

Ldorte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts

The kickstarter campaign has reached 47% funding which is fantastic, so thank you to the people from the B&C that have backed so far. 

Only a small update to the campaign this week, with the stairs for access to the walls of the fortress having had a slight tweak to get rid of some things that had been bugging me and also to add some detail to the steps themselves. Each step will accommodate a model on up to a 32mm base. This is accomplished by having the base tuck under the step above and will allow for fights on the walls, below the walls and in between on the stairs!

c59dfbcb8ba73fcfcdd9f3fd6e8df910_origina

On a seperate note I am pleased to announce that Culverin Models will have a trader stand at Dragonmeet 2019 at Novotel in Hammersmith, London. I will have a couple of display boards/dioramas along with plenty of things to buy and will also be debuting a few new lines at the event, some of which will be of interest to 40k players. If any of you are planning on attending please do stop buy and say hello!

69429981_2470361543183435_68807654519120

Edited by Ldorte, 04 September 2019 - 05:09 PM.

• Lexington likes this

Ldorte

Ldorte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts

The kickstarter campaign has reached another milestone with a jump to 82% in funding! 13 days until the finish now and not far off the goal so things are looking good for those of you that have backed and those of you on the fence.

On a side note, I have been busy making extra bits to improve the fortress over the course of the campaign and the latest free addon for all backers (of the 5 predetermined pledge levels) are sandbags and anti-personnel weapons to help keep the gate under the control of friendly forces.

eb526f7c8f16b8fc6cd82be0df0f04c5_origina

The digital packages will get the STL files and the physical pledges will get 4 sandbag walls and 4 anti-personnel "Thumper" guns added to their pledges for free!

Edited by Ldorte, 11 September 2019 - 08:43 AM.

spacepup

spacepup

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 235 posts

These are some beautiful sculpts. I'm looking forward to having these for myself.

• Ldorte likes this
spacepup

Ldorte

Ldorte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts

We did it, we have successfully breached the 100% funding mark and have followed through to 110% funding!

Thank you so much to the backers from the Bolter and Chainsword for your support and all the kind comments people have given along the way they really do mean a lot. 

Yd8LvWU.png

There are still 10 days left of the campaign so there is still time for those of you who might be interested, and as always if there are any questions please do not hesitate to ask them!

Ldorte

Ldorte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts

mnVi4m5.png

The Formidable Fortress campaign was successfully funded at 1.30am last night! Thank you to everyone on the B&L who has backed, provided feedback and commented on the project. 

The Fortress set in some form most likely will be purchasable after Christmas, so do not worry if you were on the fence and feel you have missed out. For now it is full steam ahead delivering the pledges for those of you that backed the campaign.

Edited by Ldorte, 25 September 2019 - 09:32 AM.

Ldorte

Ldorte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts

Now that the kickstarter is over and I am purely in printing mode for that I can finally reveal the next range from Culverin Models, the "Iron Battalion" range of vehicles.

Today I have a preview of the Ursa Troop Transport. The final version will come with several turret options and a couple of hull mounted weapons to choose from all in the same box so you can swap around as and when needed! Below is the prototype which I have painted up to give people an idea of the art/style direction this project is heading in. It is missing a few small details that will be on the final model and I am still in the process of designing the hull mounted weapons.

FV61A5G.jpg

QoIO8sG.jpg

5mUxdej.jpg

The Ursa should be available to order at the end of October (hopefully sooner) either by itself or in a discounted multi-pack. I am currently aiming for a price of £18 for a single tank and I am still working out details for the multi-pack.

I have plenty more in store for the Iron Battalion range including artillery, scout tanks, main battle tanks and super heavies and will most likely have at least a 3d model preview for some of these around the time the Ursa releases.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,131 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

The 3D printing marks are still way too noticeable for my taste. It either takes a more expensive 3D printer or it still has a long way to go to be useable for such models imo.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Ldorte

Ldorte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts

The 3D printing marks are still way too noticeable for my taste. It either takes a more expensive 3D printer or it still has a long way to go to be useable for such models imo.

Thanks for commenting, feedback is always welcome!

A couple of things to bear in mind with the prototype example in the pictures;

1. The final product will be split up into more pieces and printed at a finer layer height to allow better surface finish, the current version was only "quickly" printed off in 3 pieces (body, turret, rear door) to give me an idea of what the design looks like in the flesh and what sections would need more attention to allow them to print properly (as you have picked up on!) and also to be able to share the design in order to get feedback on essentially a "raw" example with some paint slapped on.

2. As with removing mould lines on normal models, 3d printed models do need some filing and sanding to remove some of the worst of the printing artifacts that can occur, and as mentioned the final product should have less of these so the finishing required should be fairly minimal and quick to do.

Once again, thank you for your honest feedback.

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,693 posts
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)
Hi, what are you planning on doing for the hull mounted guns? As in where are you planning on putting them?

Are you planning on any options for the troop compartment? As in, containers or vehicle recovery cranes, stuff like that? Perhaps even a possible section with a larger turret?

Man, if the front we just slightly inclined, with a bit of extra detailing (perhaps something like an engine block) and/or if there were a casemate like on the M3 Lee, I'd find it very hard to resist buying one or two of these...
  • Ldorte likes this
sml_gallery_29004_12090_3983.pnggallery_77459_13226_2824.png The War Wolves - Previously known as Lord Thørn

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,131 posts

Man, if the front we just slightly inclined, with a bit of extra detailing (perhaps something like an engine block) and/or if there were a casemate like on the M3 Lee, I'd find it very hard to resist buying one or two of these...

Yeah I was thinking about that as well. If it's inclined in any direction, forward like the new AdMech transport or backwards like most others, it would look much better than a boring 90° 'wall' (not to mention that it would also make more sense).

• Ldorte likes this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,693 posts
I'd personally been thinking sloped back simply 5°, a bit like many British lorries around the time of WW2, but a kind of sticking out drivers section (like on a combine harvester) could perhaps work quite well too
  • Ldorte likes this
sml_gallery_29004_12090_3983.pnggallery_77459_13226_2824.png The War Wolves - Previously known as Lord Thørn

Ldorte

Ldorte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts

Hi, what are you planning on doing for the hull mounted guns? As in where are you planning on putting them?

Are you planning on any options for the troop compartment? As in, containers or vehicle recovery cranes, stuff like that? Perhaps even a possible section with a larger turret?

Funnily enough the M3 Lee is exactly the sort of thing i had in mind as regards the mounting for the hull weapon, I have a couple of other options in mind and will have to have a bit of a think as regards the front slab of a wall as I have had a couple of other comments regarding an incline as well, so we shall see as redesigning the front with an incline will effect the current hull gun design slightly.

Variant wise there will be several different artillery variants based on this chassis and I also have a cargo version that I have almost finished. I'll have a look into the recovery crane as that is an interesting option that i had not considered. A version with a larger turret is certainly a possibility if there is a want for it. Are there any particular weapon types you would be interested in seeing?

As regards the hull specifically and implementing an incline, I've got a couple of ideas that will hopefully fix the problem that I will have a play with today.

Thanks again for the feedback guys.

Doctor Perils

Doctor Perils

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,693 posts
Have you thought about hatches on top of the troop section, and perhaps some optional lasgun ports for people who may want to use this as a 40k Chimera?

For gun options, some generic WW1/WW2 big guns and machine guns should be enough to start with, just think about how to easily interchange options for people that may interest.
Then I'd look into the ones you find on different 40k vehicles, like the Chimera, the leman Russ, basilisk/medusa, the Taurox and potentially the Horus heresy predator variants. (Obviously being careful of copyrighted designs)
Finally, try and design your own steampunk/dieselpunk/radiumpunk design :)
  • Ldorte likes this

Ldorte

Ldorte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts

Have you thought about hatches on top of the troop section, and perhaps some optional lasgun ports for people who may want to use this as a 40k Chimera?

For gun options, some generic WW1/WW2 big guns and machine guns should be enough to start with, just think about how to easily interchange options for people that may interest.
Then I'd look into the ones you find on different 40k vehicles, like the Chimera, the leman Russ, basilisk/medusa, the Taurox and potentially the Horus heresy predator variants. (Obviously being careful of copyrighted designs)
Finally, try and design your own steampunk/dieselpunk/radiumpunk design smile.png

Hatches are a good idea, thanks for the suggestions and feedback I'll go away and have a think about potential options and swap-ability.

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,431 posts
  • Faction: The Aurora Chapter
Haven’t done it myself (as I’m without a 3D printer), but some friends have told me that there’s “thick” primers that can take the line effects out of most 3D printed models. Means you won’t get a lot of fine detail, but for things like big, chunky terrain, it’s definitely something to look into.

Also, congrats on surpassing your goal! I’m in for the STL files (in anticipation for getting a 3D printer), and really looking forward to using this stuff. :)
  • Ldorte likes this
gallery_23421_8142_1088.png

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,131 posts

Yeah for terrain without many fine details it's perfectly fine.

Ldorte

Ldorte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts

Haven’t done it myself (as I’m without a 3D printer), but some friends have told me that there’s “thick” primers that can take the line effects out of most 3D printed models. Means you won’t get a lot of fine detail, but for things like big, chunky terrain, it’s definitely something to look into.

Also, congrats on surpassing your goal! I’m in for the STL files (in anticipation for getting a 3D printer), and really looking forward to using this stuff. smile.png

Yeah thick primer is one way around it, when I have received detailed stuff from other 3d printing companies I usually do a load of sanding/filing then do some primer and then any further sanding/filing that is needed after that. It just seems to be one of those mediums were surface prep is very important before painting, and if you don't do any then you end up with lines like in the prototype pics.

Thank you and thanks for backing! When you get your printer and you want any help with getting the wall sections printed off correctly then do feel free to shoot me an email.

Ldorte

Ldorte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts
After a busy couple of months of work dealing with the kickstarter things can resume as normal at Culverin Models!

The Formidable Fortress
As of this afternoon all backer rewards have been dispatched to all backers! Thank you to everyone from the B&C that pledged, your support has made a big change for Culverin Models and means that I now have enough printers for the Formidable Fortress to become a regular stock item without harming regular orders.

The Fortress will be going up for sale in initially limited quantities in mid December via my eBay store. Individual sections like the ruined walls and bastions etc will also be purchasable separately.

Next steps - Claustrophobic Combat
The next phase for Culverin Models is a project that has been in development since August called "Claustrophobic Combat". Perfect for use as the interior of a bunker, science facility or even a gigantic spaceship this is a scenery set which allows you to create cramped and tight hallways to hunt down mutant rabble or escape from an alien infestation! 

There are a few niggling details to work out still for the larger sets but a basic outline of the size of the smallest physical pledge is in the development image below. The orange figure is a 28mm scale model standing at 33mm tall on its base and the smallest set contains enough pieces to fill a 2ft x 1ft area. The hallways are wide enough for 2 models on 25mm bases to stand side by side or for a single 32mm based model to hold the line! The larger sets will contain a bit more variety in hallway widths and some larger more open room sections and stairways to allow for a second layer of hallways.

4ea716352bc6e65412cdc5033da1dadd_origina

Each hallway section is a separate square which is held together by clips on the top of the removable walls. Due to the modular nature of the sets a large variety of combinations are possible meaning you could end up with a different map every time you use the scenery. The wall sections have been kept relatively simple to keep the cost down so that I could deliver the scenery sets at affordable price points.

57b0ca935e23596c428eec4d1b44b050_origina

There will be an STL pledge and several tiers of physical pledges for those of you without 3d printers. Due to the light weight of the product and it's ability to be packed fairly flat shipping to countries such as the USA is looking very reasonable.

More details will follow next week, including images and a video of the finalised product on a display board. I am aiming to launch this kickstarter on 1 December 2019 all going well.

• Elzender likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scenery, 28mm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users