61st Daltarn Forge Guards

Ldorte

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The Forge Guards visited Warhammer World again to fight the Necron menace alongside Grey Knight allies at 5.5k a side. A brutal game that emerged with the imperium being victorious (although not until after most of the Imperial tanks had been decimated!). Pics below.

Guard and Grey Knight deployment

i7VhBzf.jpg?1

Foul xenos deployment

NxrqCPV.jpg?1

Brave defenders prepare for the Necron onslaught

dxFosCW.jpg?1

The Necron horde advances!

BdZVMPm.jpg?1

Despite fighting bravely the Malcador meets its doom :sad.:

G5BRnMj.jpg?1

My friend finally deep strikes the rest of his Grey Knights to sweep in and save the day (and steal all the glory!)

L8ueVfZ.jpg?1

And finally after being left unsupervised for too long in the Forgeworld shop the 61st Daltarn Forge Guards have recieved a rather large reinforcment.....

JsxrUYY.jpg?1

Edited by Ldorte

Congratulations on your victory! May more follow, especially now that you have your own Titan.

Thanks! Not sure exactly when the Warhound will be ready though, despite having built several resin kits before the build process for this thing is a whole new level of pain in the backside! Lots of reading to do first I think.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I can't play any actual games of 40k at the moment, and as I was extremely bored this evening I decided to take some pics of some models on my display board. I present "Moonlight Convoy". Might attempt making some cotton wool explosions next and see what that looks like.

5CENf58.jpg?1

Edited by Ldorte

Thanks! I think the board is roughly 3ftx2.5ft if not a bit bigger. The castle and the hill it is sat on are real.

The malcador was quite easy to put together as it is lots of thick bits of resin. You'll still need to fill a couple of gaps with green stuff but overall it is quite a nice kit. Tempted to get another at some point but want to see if it get better or worse in the forgeworld book that is due to come out at some point.

• 3 months later...

I played my first couple of games as guard in 9th edition over the weekend. 

First was a doubles combat patrol mission where I was allied with orks against sisters and necrons. I took a Company Commander, Infantry Squad, Gryphone Chim and a Malcador Defender. I used a custom regiment with gunnery experts and jury riggers.

The big standout was how much better the Malcador is now (although still not amazing). I had left the Malcador in it's default loadout of demo cannon and 7 heavy bolters and given it a hunter killer and storm bolter. Being able to double tap the demolisher cannon, whilst pumping out 21 heavy bolter shots a turn meant it was dishing out a pretty hefty amount of firepower, especially now there is no minus for moving and firing heavy weapons. Between shooting and overwatch it took out a couple of sorpekh destroyers, a sorpekh destroyer overlord, a mortifier and a couple of seraphim. It would have carried on to do more but unfortunately we had to concede as my ork ally had been tabled and the malcador and a damaged infantry squad was all I had left at the beginning of turn 3.

I think if I went into that battle again I would scrap the chimera and take another 2 infantry squads to allow me to spread out more without risking the company commander so early on. That way we would have more securely scored "engage on all fronts" and possibly held a second objective for longer and allowed the ork boyz my ally had to play much more aggressively. The chimera was just too vulnerable and was popped more or less instantly by melta fire.

Game 2 was another doubles match with each player being granted 1000points each. This time it was guard and necrons vs grey knights and orks. Due to the decreased recommended table sizes of 9th I decided to see what aggressive demo cannon russes could do (the answer being quite a lot). I had 2 tank commanders with demolisher cannons, a storm bolter and triple heavy flamers. 2 hellhounds, 3 infantry squads, a platoon commander and a quad launcher battery. I again used a custom regiment with gunnery experts and pyromaniacs.

The hellhounds did not really get a chance to do much unfortunately, one got to fire its inferno cannon and took out 5 grots and 2 boyz (thanks to grot shields), whereas the other one fired its heavy flamer and inferno cannon in overwatch killing 5 stormboyz before it exploded and killed 3 more stormboyz and 2 boyz and the other already crippled hellhound. The tank commanders on the other hand were devastating. They both moved up the board just shy of max movement on turn 1 and fired their democannons at a dreadknight which they managed to kill. Next turn one of the tank commanders was able to get all 3 heavy flamers and its demo cannon in range of a mob of 18 boyz and managed to kill 15 of them! The other demo russ sat on an objective and survived by sheer luck as 2 grey knight strike squads and a librarian all failed their charges.

The infantry squads sat at the back and held our home objective and the quad launcher was unfortunately pretty rubbish as my rolling was appalling. At the end of turn 3 our opponents conceded as the orks had again been wiped out and the grey knights didn't have enough oomph to get through everything left on the board whilst also fulfilling secondaries. 

The demo russ tank commanders is something I will be looking into again. The prospect of 3 heavy flamers in overwatch gave people second thoughts about charging them and once they were in position double tapping the demo cannons is very painful for whatever gets in the way (especially with gunnery experts allowing rerolling of the shots dice). I'm used to sitting at the back with battle cannons and manticores so charging forwards straight to the middle of the board was interesting and not something my opponents were expecting from a guard army.

My main take a way from both games is that our frontline tanks are going to have to be infantry support vehicles rather than gun platforms that sit at the back and pop shots off at a distance. With the way secondaries work and how quickly an enemy can rack up points, using tanks aggressively to either support infantry or zoom off at max speed to an objective and perhaps even utilising them as distractions (like the hellhounds in game 2) will be key to squeezing out every last victory point we can.

On another note my Warhound is slowly coming along. Hopefully I should get it finished for the lockdown painting challenge deadline this week!

C4C5tBA.jpg?1

• 1 month later...

I hosted a game at mine the other week for a friend where Orks had to attack an Imperial castle. 3500 points of Sisters and Guard were set to hold off against 5 waves of Orks ranging from 1000 points all the way up to 3500 points. Unfortunately we only ended up having time for 3 waves and the Imperium held the line, although did get pushed back from the outer defences towards the castle itself. Had waves 4 and 5 been able to spawn the Imperium side would have started to suffer much heavier casualties but it will be a while before we find out exactly how much! 

Anywho, below are a selection of pics from waves 1-3 that I quite liked the look of and wanted to share here.

qtRKDp0.png

dVsOEQ4.png

ki2JHMZ.png

s10Dlyg.png

9JwfhkE.jpg

d4j9TDu.png

afQW56f.png

VGisGf5.png

P1ijS08.png

Nice photos! I sure would love to read/hear a battle report of that, if only just the highlights!

Thanks! Below is the very brief summary I put on reddit:

"Wave 1 from the orks was a mass vehicle assault which wiped out a whole swathe of Guard infantry but basically nothing else and involved a lone sgt surviving being napalmed and having a plane crash on him!

Wave 2 from the orks was a huge infantry push. This wave alone involved approximately 140 models supported by artillery. The forces of this wave were actually somewhat successful and completely overwhelmed the frontline of defences and managed to push the Guard tanks all the way back to the river with the Punisher Russ even having to enter the water and suffer movement penalties on his way out as a result.

Wave 3 just got absolutely destroyed. Like overwhelmingly curb stomped (ironic with there being a stompa in the wave). This was the mechanised walker wave and I whiffed incredibly hard with the Stompa's shooting (scraped 2 wounds off a hell hound, took a wyvern down to 5, killed a manticore and then did ALOT of missing and jammed the supa-gatla by rolling a 1). The deff dreds teleported in and would have caused havoc but one of them failed the charge against the tank commander and a single one wasn't quite enough to kill him (1 wound left). The Imperial returning volley of fire just incinerated everything and the wave ended with a lone squad of infantry being mown down 10" from the river.

We are planning on finishing the battle so there will be more pictures to come at a later date and wave 4 is where the orks should hit their stride (we hope!)."

• 3 weeks later...

Really awesome battle! I'm sure most of us started out with plastic knights or army men attacking a toy castle and it's good to see the thrill is the same as you get older, just that the toys cost more...

Thanks, it was good fun, even if we didn't get to finish.

Yes quite the increase in cost but as you say the fun never dies as long as you can find the time to play!