61st Daltarn Forge Guards

Ldorte

Been a while since I've posted an update on my guard.

Got a few projects to complete, the Warhound still needs it's paint finishing and I have 3 sentinels that need building. I also need to complete another 10 guardsmen in penal legionaire colours to use as conscripts. 

In the meantime I finished work early today and as I had been taking photos of models for that I figured why not whip the guard out for a quick pic!

XKcg30Q.png?1

Still need to get around to purchasing a decent camera for low light shots but still fun to play around with the pretend explosions and lots of models!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Off to the London GT at the end of September. Will be my first in person matches of 40k since the summer of last year and some of my first games of 9th edition as I have not had a chance to play it yet. I'm going for fun rather than for a fully competitive weekend so will be booted into the bottom bracket pretty quickly for the singles I imagine!

I have not finished my singles list yet but thought I'd get a pic of my half of the doubles list for the friday and post it up here.

gallery_43177_12299_1289235.png

Good luck! I've not had the opportunity to game enough with 9th to fully cement the differences in my mind, but it's similar enough to 8th that a bit of time with the rulebook should see you right :smile.: With your army all painted up ready for glory I'm sure the dice gods will provide some assistance also :wink: Let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

The 61st Daltarn Forge Guards attended a local doubles tournament allied with my friend's Grey Knights a couple of months ago.

f8uX1kY.jpg

My 1000pts army (minus the psyker that I had to borrow off the tournament organisers as I forgot the model!). 

tX2Nupj.jpg

Deployment in game 1.

wR3mFPA.jpg

Deployment in game 3.

Unfortunately didn't get many pictures. But we won all 3 games and came in second place and got a shiny silver medal each (much to our surprise!). 

Pe3TNBt.jpg

We've got another round on Saturday so hopefully we can match our result from this previous tournament!

6 hours ago, duz_ said:

Stunning army and great result! Nice work

So there's another doubles event this weekend? 

IG with GK allies we're a blast in 7th Ed. Actually made guard possible to play. 

Thanks, we really were not expecting even a top 5 finish and had even named ourselves the "Wooden Spoon Brigade" in the roster in anticipation of coming somewhere near the bottom.

Yes another doubles event this weekend, same pairing (guard and grey knights). We've made some slight tweaks to our lists but should still be fun to use!

Yeah we started going to doubles tournaments together at the start of 7th and only ever play Guard and Grey Knights when together in doubles! Had lots of fun with the Malcador Defender back when firing arcs actually mattered!

On 8/25/2021 at 5:09 AM, Ldorte said:

Off to the London GT at the end of September. Will be my first in person matches of 40k since the summer of last year and some of my first games of 9th edition as I have not had a chance to play it yet. I'm going for fun rather than for a fully competitive weekend so will be booted into the bottom bracket pretty quickly for the singles I imagine!

I have not finished my singles list yet but thought I'd get a pic of my half of the doubles list for the friday and post it up here.

gallery_43177_12299_1289235.png

Love your defender.

wish they weren’t so expensive…and resin lol

17 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Love your defender.

wish they weren’t so expensive…and resin lol

Thank you! I think it is probably my favourite model that I own and is always fun to take to tournaments because barely anyone knows what it is!

I did consider a second one a few weeks ago but the prices are starting to get a bit silly now.

5 hours ago, Ldorte said:

Thank you! I think it is probably my favourite model that I own and is always fun to take to tournaments because barely anyone knows what it is!

I did consider a second one a few weeks ago but the prices are starting to get a bit silly now.

How was the experience of building it?

was there a lot of resin warping? Poorly produced resin parts is the primary reason I don’t want to buy one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2022 at 10:02 PM, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

How was the experience of building it?

was there a lot of resin warping? Poorly produced resin parts is the primary reason I don’t want to buy one.

The tracks were ever so slightly warped on one side but otherwise it is a very easy kit to put together. The tracks pieces also don't quite meet on the front of the tank, which I thought was my bad building skills but the one in the Warhammer World Forgeworld Store is exactly the same so its evidently a design issue. Fixable with greenstuff if you felt inclined. It is by far the easiest to put together FW vehicle model I've purchased so far. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had the doubles tournament on Saturday with both the Grey Knights and Guard performing very well at their tasks during the battles.

GAME 1 - First match was against Daemons. This was a very very tough match but lots of fun, probably one of the best games of 40k I've ever had. They had 2 Bloodthirsters, 1 Keeper of Secrets and Belakor, plus 20 Bloodletters, some chaos hounds and nurglings. They were extremely aggressive and pinned us into a corner but we managed to hold out (an exploding Tank Commander knocked the last wound off a Bloodthirster at one point!). Final score was 83-80 to them. A wild ride of a game, they only had the nurglings and chaos hounds left at the end of the game! The Baneblade remained unscathed and had dished out some withering punishment throughout the match which was nice.

Our Deployment for game 1

d5retNb.jpg

The Tank Commander before it exploded taking a Bloodthirster with it and dealing 3 mortal wounds to the other one!

3yzKTIU.jpg

GAME 2 - Necrons/Sisters of Battle. They had the Void Dragon and the Nightbringer and a large squad of retributors with meltas. We were concerned at the start. Fortunately, we out-maneuvered them and did large amounts of damage very quickly which stopped them from scoring points. They also had some immense bad luck, with one of the players rolling six 1's in a row.... We lost 4 models in the entire game (only 1 guardsman from my side). We won with a final score of roughly 96 - 35 (or something like that).

The Baneblade lining up a shot on the Void Dragon (after the Void Dragon only did 5 mortal wounds in its only round of being in range of anything!)

iq5N208.jpg

GAME 3- Custodes/Grey Knights - This was another easy one. Unfortunately they redeployed their Custodes Jetbikes poorly to get them out of line of sight of the Tank Commanders and ended up putting them in the firing line of the Baneblade instead - 2 jetbikes died in the first turn of shooting. They made a good effort of getting into our lines with the rest of the jetbikes charging into some Grey Knight Terminators but unfortunately for our opponents with a Grey Knight special character in the proximity of our terminators we won that skirmish. A Grandmaster Dreadknight teleported behind the Baneblade and chipped off some wounds, but was then annihilated by overwatch. After that with the big threats dealt with, we mopped up what was left and scored as many points as possible. We won this game with a final score of something like 87 - 35 (or there abouts).

The board at the start of game 3

MfMZ7x8.jpg

FINAL RESULTS

We came in second place which meant adding another Silver Medal to my collection! We actually scored the highest amount of victory points as well, with 20 points more than the first place team. First place went to the Daemon team who beat us in the first round who won all their games, very nice guys (as were all our opponents) who definitely deserved the win!

Gv50Jce.jpg

Edited by Ldorte