Knights with Admech at a danish GT (ETC format)

Hi guys,

I thought I'd share with you my experience at the GT I attended this past weekend. For those that might somehow find it interesting to read.

I'll post my list in a spoiler just for clarity, so that you know what I might be rambling about further down.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ REPORTED ARMY FACTION: Imperial Knights
+ TOTAL COMMAND POINTS: 14
+ TOTAL ARMY POINTS: 1994
+ POWER LEVEL: 116
+ ARMY FACTIONS USED: Imperial Knights, Adeptus Mechanicus
+ TOTAL REINFORCEMENT POINTS: 0

== Super-Heavy Detachment == Imperial Knights, Raven [73PL, 1335pts] 6CP

LOW1: Cerastus Knight-Castigator (350), Castigator Bolt Cannon (50), Tempest Warblade (30) [25PL] [430pts]
LOW2: Knight Crusader (285), Avenger Gatling Cannon w/ heavy flamer (89), Rapidfire Battlecannon w/ Heavy stubber (102), Heavy stubber (2), Ironstorm Missile pod (16)
[25PL] [494pts]
LOW3: Knight Warden (285), Avenger Gatling Cannon w/ heavy flamer (89), Heavy Stubber (2), Thunderstrike Gauntlet (35) [23PL] [411pts]

== Super-Heavy Auxilliary Detachment == Imperial Knights, Krast [25PL, 494pts] 0CP

LOW4: Knight Crusader (285), Avenger Gatling Cannon w/ heavy flamer (89), Rapidfire Battlecannon w/ Heavy stubber (102), Heavy stubber (2), Ironstorm Missile pod (16)
[25PL] [494pts]

== Battalion Detachment == Adeptus Mechanicus, Graia [18PL, 165pts] 5CP

HQ1: Techpriest Enginseer (30), Laspistol (0), Omnissian Axe (0), Servo-arm (0) [3PL] [30pts]
HQ2: Techpriest Enginseer (30), Laspistol (0), Omnissian Axe (0), Servo-arm (0) [3PL] [30pts]

TR1: 4 * Skitarii Rangers (28), 4 * Galvanic Rifles (0), Ranger Alpha (7), Galvanic Rifle (0) [4PL] [35pts]
TR2: 4 * Skitarii Rangers (28), 4 * Galvanic Rifles (0), Ranger Alpha (7), Galvanic Rifle (0) [4PL] [35pts]
TR3: 4 * Skitarii Rangers (28), 4 * Galvanic Rifles (0), Ranger Alpha (7), Galvanic Rifle (0) [4PL] [35pts]

ARMY REINFORCEMENT POINTS: 0
ARMY REINFORCEMENT FACTION: NONE

Missionpack: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fh_gjb0dFFh70zv3dflhsSMPZKgOiJK5y_O4xN8nCY8/edit

First of all, it was 5 nice games versus good - great opponents, all 5 were good-excellent sports and a beers were had after some of the games.

Round 1 I was paired against a list I lost 20-0 to three weeks ago in a warmup tournament where I fielded a slightly different list. I knew it would be rough, as he is a better player than me, with a list easily capable of killing knights (triple Exorcists with a Krast Crusader). When he deployed second and seized, I was certain of the outcome. Nevertheless we went ahead and I gave it all I could. Turn 1 he killed my warden and scored good points in the mission, while I did what I could to neuter his Krast Crusader but to no avail. The Exorcists were too far away for a lot of my shooting, so I had to try and bring the big guy down. 1 of my Crusaders died turn two, the other quickly followed. After I had played my turn 2 or 3 (my knights died damn fast all of a sudden) I asked him to count the points he had while I did the same. He had the table, I had very little left of my admech and I was down 21 VP. Not even a miracle would stop him outscoring me further, so we got a beer and went outside to chat and enjoy the weather. 20-0 win for him, but as I wrote, he is a better player than me, so I was not too disheartened.

In the second game I had sort of a mirror match, at least it was knights vs knights. He brought 3 Krast Crusaders and a Hawkshroud Valiant. He went first, but deployment was hammer and anvil, so I had deployed deeply, and he had trouble getting his guns to bear. He did bring my Krast Crusader to 6 wounds remaining, critical for him that he didn't kill it. I went nuts in retaliation, popping both his thermal cannon crusaders in my first turn. The one alive I couldn't get range on, so he still had Headman's Mark on the field. I started outscoring him due to number of drops from turn 1. His turn two he got my Krastader down and scratched one of the other knights, but nothing big. I sent my Castigator in with Full Tilt to try to make sure I would get his last crusader down, but leaving it at 8 wounds after shooting, and then failing the charge, I was slowly getting into trouble, as it was right between the two of his remaining knights. Fortunately he didn't do a lot of damage after his Valiant had killed my Castigator, so on my turn 3 I took the rest of the table while killing his last Crusader. He had his Valiant on one flank, and I had no challenge staying in range with my firepower while avoiding his. It ended 16-4 in my favour after 6 turns.

Going into round three 1-1 was alright. I got a decent matchup in another sisters list, but no knight and only two exorcists (lots of bodies though and 3 assassins). Luckily my big robots were rather angry with the treatment they had been given by sisters in the first game, and they went completely ape. I popped both exorcists turn 1 who both exploded in the 4++ castle he had built. He even burned a reroll to try to avoid one explosion, but he used his Khorne dice, and you know how Khorne is... We had a chat about the situation, it was absolutely bonkers, but I got him to try to see what he could salvage, and I'm happy he did. What an amazing guy. He was able to pull back to a 14-6 score instead of the 20-0 he considered giving me after my first turn. He played well with a neutered army and was so nice all the while. I was being apologetic for my insane dice on the other hand, and bought him a beer after the game. 14-6 win for me meant I was 30 points in after three games. Things were starting to look sensible, as I'd be happy with a top half finish, but could settle for less.

Round 4 the following morning had me go up against an even nicer guy, even though I didn't think it possible. He had his drukhari with mandrakes in raiders, 3 flyers, a ravager or two and 3 smaller vehicles with kabalite warriors in them. "Quadrants" for deployment meant I was a little far away from him when I got first turn, but the terrain made it next to impossible to go through the middle. I advanced my Raven knights to try to establish some pressure, and made one of his smaller vehicles explode while doing a little damage to his bomber flyer. I grabbed objectives on the go and had 3 of them turn one, while he tried to kill my warden but failed first turn, and tried to stay away from the big FW monster going the other way around the middle. We really had a nice time, so the game was slow as we probably talked a bit much, but after my second turn, 2/3 flyers were down, he had lost another vehicle and was getting cornered a bit (Castigator advancing and firing does cover a huge area). He did kill my warden, but he had no way of getting me off objectives without facing obliteration, so we agreed there was nothing he could do. Bought the guy a beer, he definitely deserved it. 20-0 win for me. All of a sudden I had gotten momentum that had carried me into the top half.

Round 5 was a nailbiter (for me at least). I was charged with killing Magnus, Mortarion, 3 princes (one was wielding Skullreaver), Ahriman and some nurgly daemons. I was a bit tenser perhaps than in the other games, as I knew my opponent had to be a good player. Luckily he was also a nice guy, so we had a good, close game. I got to go first for the third time, and I did what I could, which was not a lot due to deployment and heavy LoS blocking terrain. Mission was favouring me, but the table my opponent. Magnus took a few wounds, but not nearly enough for it to make an impact. Also killed something like 8/30 plaguebearers. My dice were above average, as they had been through most of the event, but so were my opponents saves. His first turn Magnus was warptimed and charged into my Warden which he only just killed before facing the thunderstrike gauntlet. He needed to land 18 wounds after his psychic phase, and he just managed that. Both of us scored what we could, but he drew blood first. My turn two Magnus had to die, or it would seal the game. Mortarion was coming forward, but with The Crimson King in my DZ, I had to get rid of him. I managed, and put a few wounds into the Death Lord as well. On the other flank my Castigator killed his Skullreaver prince and charged into Ahriman with his feet first. Ahriman made 5/7 4++ rolls and took 4 damage but returned 6! Bummer! He could then kill the Castigator alongside one of the two remaining princes on his turn. Mortarion got a charge in on my Raven Crusader (my Krast one was futher away), but the damage he had taken over my two turns plus overwatch meant he was all of a sudden bracketed and whiffed. My Crusader stood with something along the lines of 6 wounds after Mortarion died and exploded (he was killed by my other knight, so I bracketed myself in shooting). After that the game was still close, we both kept scoring points, and at the bottom of turn 4, I had my severely damaged Raven crusader along with my Krast equivalent. His princes had died, so he had Ahriman on one wound, 10 or so plaguebearers which had been shot at when I had no other viable targets, his two nurgling units holding objectives in his DZ and sloppity bilepiber alongside the plaguebearers and ahriman. Had there been a turn 5, it would have been a bigger win, but I had to count myself fortunate to score a 12-8. I think my opponent was pleased with the game too, he might have feared worse, than a minor defeat.

All in all I ended 15th of 66 participants, a feat I am not sure I will be able to replicate. I feel that my list overperformed, that my dice were strictly speaking above par throughout, and that I went above my tactical understanding to be lucky to finish that high. Several ETC players were present afterall, not just from Denmark, but also Germany, UK, Netherlands, Sweden and Ireland, so I must have been punching above my weight, so to say.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed reading the nonsense, please do not refrain from asking questions, I'll be happy to answer what I can.

Regards

Sneaky