Has anyone used Contrast and non-Contrast together?

My absolutely stunning metal Daemon Prince arrived today, and I've been looking at all kinds of painting techniques to apply to him. miniwargaming ember sword here, Prometian Painting infernal skin there, From the Warp stained barrel for the warp bolter... but I'm not sure what to do with the armor. I might just take the simple route and Contrast it, but I'm not sure how that would look with all that fancy stuff on the skin, sword, etc. Has anyone tried this?

Edit: added links, in case anyone was interested. Also, obligatory "not affiliated, just really like the look of it".

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

I don't think contrast paints have been out long enough for many to have tried this, but on GW's website they have a video of an example of combining contrast and "classic" paints on a model: https://citadelcolour.com/playlist/6039773749001/6044438019001

Heh, the blue over the gold in the stormcast eternal video is basically an instant alpha legion recipe lol

I was just working on this exact issue last night, was going to post in our Initial Contrast Experiments, but let me help you with this question 1st. It's a good question.

Previously, I was previewing Contrast paints at the store, I had an "oops" moment where I I didn't distribute it evenly enough on a Primaris pauldron. Notice that splotchy dark bit halfway to the purity seal:

gallery_57329_13636_49533.jpg

I was going to finish the model at home with normal paints anyway, that was always my plan, mainly to paint areas I left blank, like the chest aquila. Initially I wasn't going to paint over any Contrast areas, because a main reason to use Contrast was to speedpaint to get it battle-ready...but that one shoulderpad really bugged me.

So I went ahead and tried to not only directly paint over that shoulderpad, but to fix it so that it's hard to tell where the Contrast paint ended and normal paint started:

gallery_57329_13636_30980.jpg

If I pointed to you the exact spot where I applied normal paint over Contrast...like I just did right now, yeah, I think you can notice there's a difference. The Contrast paint was Militarum Green. The normal paint was Vallejo's Russian Uniform Green. I absolutely thinned it a bit and carefully applied it, that took a minute or 2 (which is actually a long time considering I had painted this model up under 5 minutes with Contrast).

That was the best "proof in the pudding" moment, where I had to match Contrast with normal paints because I had an accident. It wasn't intentional, I wasn't out to test a theory out, but it provided actual evidence that Contrast paints and normal paints worked together fine. I seriously just eyeballed it, turned out okay.

And it wasn't the only place where I painted over Contrast. That bolt rifle was painted with Contrast Black Templar Black. I then drybrushed over it with normal paint to bring out the details, perfectly normal.

Anyone tried mixing the contrast into metal paints?( Instead of glazing over a metallic base coat.)

If so what are the experiences?

I haven't tried it but, based on my experience with trying to tint (at least citadel's) metallic paints with their artificer tint set, I have a feeling it won't work well. The metal pigments are much heavier than other pigments, so they will probably not flow properly. Iirc it was either stated or speculated that that's why there aren't any metallics in the range.

Andy Wardle also wrote a guest spot regarding using Contrast and non-Contrast paints together. From what I can tell, he agrees that they are yet another tool in the toolbox, not an exclusive painting method that you can only use on its lonesome. It's also not the end all, be all of paint, nor is painting it with a brush an exclusive method of using it (although they do seem a little too expensive to use with an airbrush IMO, when more economical AB paints are out there).

Contrast and regular paint combined was my plan in the first place.

I'm working on my son's Imperial Fists and the Hazdrag Yellow as a base with a drybrush of Yriel Yellow over it comes out great.

Then detailing with regular paint.

For me Contrast just turns basecoat and wash into a single step.

Corax White base, Apothecary White, then used some Ulthuan Grey and White Scar highlight on the helmets on these Apothecaries

PH9wfxx.jpg

The arms and backpacks didn't need the Ulthuan Grey, so they just got the White Scar highlight.

Everything else was painted normally.