Disembarking

BlackTriton

Hi everyone,

I got into an argument over the specific of disembarking, here's the situation:

I have 2x 5 man unit in a transport, I want to disembark both of them. Is the following sequence of event legal: 

- Begining of the movement phase.

- I move a unit standing in front of the transport in order to create space for the disembarking models.

- I disembak one of the squad in front of the transport, within 3'' ot it. 

- I activate the disembaked unit, moving it away, liberating space.

- I disembak the second unit from the transport, placing them within 3'' in the same space the first unit just vacated, then I activate unit two.

- I move the transport.

I do not see how this sequence violate the rules in the BRB, but multiple people were involved in the discussion, and some weird ruled where discussed:

• -one guy said the they could not disembark at all, since disembarking must be done at the beginning of the movement phase. he sited the warhammer community site that sais: "Units now disembark at the start of the Movement phase, before the Transport moves, [...]" LINK
  • -one said they can in fact disembak at any point in the movement phase, but to do so you must first: 1- activate the transport 2-place the models 3-move the transport right away since you cannot re-activate it later.
  • another argued that disembarking doesn't require any activation at all, but you still must disembark all the models at once, so unit 1 doesn't get to move to create space for unit 2.

For reference, here is what the BRB has to say (emphasis by me) : 

Disembark: any unit that begins the movement phase embarked can disembark before the transport moves.

When a unit disembaks, set it up [...] so that all of its models are within 3'' of the transport and not within 1'' of any enemy models [...]

Units that disembark can then act normally (move, shoot, charge, fight, etc.) [...]

You've done it right. Nothing says that it has to be done at the beginning of the movement phase and also nothing says that you have to disembark every unit at once.

Also, even if it's just semantics, there's no "activation" in the movement phase.

I agree with the above.  Indeed, the "disembark all", then move them may actually be illegal.

The movement rules require you to pick a unit, move everything you want to move, then go to the next unit.  No unit can be moved more than once, which prevents you from moving a unit part of its movement, moving a second unit, then returning to move the first unit for its remaining movement.

As disembarking counts as moving, its arguable that to disembark it, then choose another unit to move, then return to the disembarked unit to move would count as moving it twice.

I agree with the above.  Indeed, the "disembark all", then move them may actually be illegal.

The movement rules require you to pick a unit, move everything you want to move, then go to the next unit.  No unit can be moved more than once, which prevents you from moving a unit part of its movement, moving a second unit, then returning to move the first unit for its remaining movement.

As disembarking counts as moving, its arguable that to disembark it, then choose another unit to move, then return to the disembarked unit to move would count as moving it twice.

The disembark rules state that a disembarking unit is set up on the table within 3" of the transport. After which the disembark rules specifically state that the unit is then free to act normally (move, shoot, charge, fight etc.). So it wouldn't count as moving it twice. If you don't move them they do count as having moved for other rules purposes (shooting heavy weapons etc.).

The disembark rules state that a disembarking unit is set up on the table within 3" of the transport. After which the disembark rules specifically state that the unit is then free to act normally (move, shoot, charge, fight etc.). So it wouldn't count as moving it twice. If you don't move them they do count as having moved for other rules purposes (shooting heavy weapons etc.).

You misunderstood him. He meant that disembarking a unit, then moving some other unit (like disembarking a second unit) and then going back to the first unit you disembarked would technically count as using a unit twice in the movement phase which you aren't allowed to.

Disembark: Any unit that begins its Movement phase embarked within a transport can disembark before the transport moves. When a unit disembarks, set it up on the battlefield so that all of its models are within 3" of the transport and not within 1" of any enemy models – any disembarking model that cannot be set up in this way is slain.

Units that disembark can then act normally (move, shoot, charge, fight, etc.) during the remainder of their turn. Note though, that even if you don’t move disembarking units further in your Movement phase, they still count as having moved for any rules purposes, such as shooting Heavy weapons (pg 180).

So thats the rule in full.....If you just disembark you count as having moved.  So if unit 1 disembarks & count as being moved then a 2nd unit is moved how can you then go back to unit 1 and move them without them counting as having moved twice?

The caveates to disembarking are i) has the transport moved yet?

ii) can the model be placed on the table within 3" of the transport & more than 1" from enemy models?.

Thats it... there are zero other standard rules that govern getting out of a transport