Going to try some Termies!

Prot

Okay so with the tournament over, I've learned some lessons but I'm still incredibly stubborn so I'm going to try my basic daemon engine list with a twist... Termies.

I've tweaked the list, and (reluctantly) pulled Abaddon. His aura is nice ,but he's 240 points that you're basically putting towards a shooty firebase that I won't have with this version of my army.

I'm going Black Legion/ Red Corsairs. Basically I'm tired of cultists. All tournament I hemmoraged secondaries, and primaries due to 10 man cultists squads that while providing Command Points, they give too much up.

So since the main army is going to be a pile of aggressive Daemon Engines, it will have backing in the form of a Black Legion jump Tooth lord.While the Red Corsairs will host the daemon engines. 

With that many daemon engines from freed up points (by dropping Cultists and Abe), that gave me an awkward pile of points that I think might suit some Black Legion Termies, but I can only fit 7 in the list, or I simply drop the idea to add a sorc or MoP. 

So the question is: Is 7 Termies with Combi's (coming in with the tooth lord)  worth it over another Venom crawler? Or a Sorcerer type HQ?

It really depends on how many & what kinds of engines you use. I regularly run 5-6, and I find Warp time on a Sorcerer or DP invaluable in keeping them out of each others’ way and expanding the threat bubble of their charges. There are SO many useful psychic powers.

Terminators also serve them well by clearing the cheap screen that keeps them away from high value targets. Nothing quite like 50pts of Guard keeping 130pts of engine from moving more than 4-5” to make you like the terminator’s ability to screen clear.

In my list I take both. ;) But if I had to drop one, it’d be the terminators that go, sadly. I fight too much plasma spam in my meta (Dark Angels and tank commanders.)

Edited by Mekhitar

So the question is: Is 7 Termies with Combi's (coming in with the tooth lord)  worth it over another Venom crawler? Or a Sorcerer type HQ?

Well, Termies tactically are more flexible ie you can deep strike with them what a Venom Crawler can´t do. More options might be better than less options.

My experience with Termies is solely based on Nurgle Blightlord Terminators which are more expensive yet more ressilient. Their main drawback was lack of number of attacks compared to their points value and, second, once caught in melee they were never able to do anything useful the rest of the game.

That beeing said if I wanted to run Termies again it would be a squad of Termies bearing 3-4 combi-meltas accompanied by a lord with a combi melta and some good melee weapon. Rest of the Termies I´d equip with just combi bolters and 1-2 good melee weapons. Reasons: I find that 4 meltas supported by a lords reroll ability are enough to delete these 10 wounds dreadnoughts you regularly face. If that´s not enough, the lord is also able to hand out mortal wounds due to that stratagem that let you fire mortal wounds with a bolter.

You can also deploy that squad from the beginning of your game and bolter down any kind of light infantry with 4 shots per Terminator.

Some other notes:

- I think a Terminator Sorcerer might be a good addition too because he is able to cast two spells that cause mortal wounds and he can also bear a combi melta allowing for even more high quality damage.

- What about 2-3 Thousand Sons Terminator Sorcerers in a supreme command detachment? lots of mortal wounds spam, easy to cast spells due to familiars and some rend -2 shells to clear chaff.

- If you´re heading towards combi-bolter Termies you can just field Thousand Sons Terminators instead. They are more durable and bear a better kind of bolter. Though I do not know the points comparison.

Can you make your terminators Mark of Khorne with the icon? Termies are best in close combat where they can't be shot at.

I'd recommend having a jump pack chaos lord with thunder hammer to drop down with them. And perhaps a sorcerer with jump pack too. Drop'em all in. See what happens.