Blood Ravens IA July

dogfender

June 2019 White Dwarf back cover.

I’m hoping the leaked image is untrue.

Relictors started the mini dex with special scenarios, wargear and even allies many many years ago in several WD articles.

The ravens were made for a now defunct DoW game and “Barrow” heavily from the Relictors.

I guess the silver lining in it is that Relictor players now get to take from them lol.

Edited by Brother Casman
Adding link to the initial image

I’m hoping the leaked image is untrue.

Relictors started the mini dex with special scenarios, wargear and even allies many many years ago in several WD articles.

The ravens were made for a now defunct DoW game and “Barrow” heavily from the Relictors.

I guess the silver lining in it is that Relictor players now get to take from them lol.

can you post the image or source, or is this just wishful hoping?

Well, the blood ravens had rules in the 4th ed codex alongside the raven guard, salamanders and imperial fists. That gives them a more official basis than a lot of other chapters out there.

And the whole thing of blood ravens stealing artifacts is...pretty much a meme. It's a handwavy way to have tons of relic equipment in dow2 while having an explanation that pays lip service to the fluff. Relictors use the weapons of the enemy against them. Two very different premises.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Well, the blood ravens had rules in the 4th ed codex alongside the raven guard, salamanders and imperial fists. That gives them a more official basis than a lot of other chapters out there.

And the whole thing of blood ravens stealing artifacts is...pretty much a meme. It's a handwavy way to have tons of relic equipment in dow2 while having an explanation that pays lip service to the fluff. Relictors use the weapons of the enemy against them. Two very different premises.

I don’t recall these rules.

I don’t see it as being that different. Both make use of unusually large numbers of librarians, both hunt for relics. One just tosses them in a vault. The other would steal from their own friends if given the chance lol.

I can guarantee that if they include one piece of wargear it’s meant to be used in games, which’s makes them more like the Relictors

I hope its true, it could be a fun tactic to run your homebrew chapter and if its good enough it might also work for other chapters. I wonder how they will translate the fluff to crunch this time around, maybe free cover for all units in the first turn and then an offensive buff? Maybe their librarians will get an extra power, this could be very interesting.

In 4th the Blood Raven example of the chapter trait use gave them Infiltrate on some units and Furious Charge on others AND had to have more infantry than vehicles.

The more I look at it the more I think it's fake, I dunno but it seems so odd for them to get something before other well known lore Chapters. 

Agreed with you on thinking it's fake. I find it a little bit strange that they're using that piece of art from Dawn of War (3?) rather than GW / BL studio art or photos of miniatures. 

If they were going to tease a Blood Ravens Index Astartes article, why wouldn't they use art from the game for which the Blood Ravens were created? That imagery is readily associated with the Chapter.

I would hesitate to call anything a fake based only on speculation. That is purportedly the back cover of this month's White Dwarf, so we'll be able to draw conclusions once we have evidence (and don't forget that subscribers have different covers, as we found with the Ynnari teaser).

I don't see the Blood Ravens really borrowing anything from the Relictors (Fire Claws!), except things that every Chapter has to one degree or another. Both Chapters feature special uses of librarians, but the uses are different.

The Blood Ravens are probably more popular/well known [than the Relictors] simply due to the fact that they were the Dawn of War Chapter - that series of games and the related books brought many new players into the hobby. The Relictors don't really have that claim. Aside from the questionable Chapter Tactics that the Blood Ravens enjoyed in 4th edition, they haven't had any decent rules, so it's understandable that this second tier Chapter would be featured as one of the earlier of the new family of Index Astartes articles. The Crimson Fists have been one of the poster Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes ever since they were featured on the 1st edition rulebook. Having them as the first of the new Index Astartes articles made sense, distinguishing them from the Imperial Fists. Many players have wish-listed the other "First Founding" Chapters and the Black Templars, but these Chapters already have rules in the codex. That doesn't mean that we won't get articles for (some of) these Chapters eventually, but GW might be trying to use the articles as a way to give us information and rules for other Chapters.

I say all of this as someone who is a big fan of the Relictors (Fire Claws!), and who is not really a fan of the Blood Ravens. I would personally prefer to see the Relictors get an article, but featuring the Blood Ravens makes perfect sense. We'll know soon enough if this is fake or not, so there's no sense making claims one way or the other if we don't know.

I don’t see it as being that different. Both make use of unusually large numbers of librarians, both hunt for relics. One just tosses them in a vault. The other would steal from their own friends if given the chance lol.

I can guarantee that if they include one piece of wargear it’s meant to be used in games, which’s makes them more like the Relictors

They got access to infiltrate, true grit and acute senses.

And the I was talking about the gear in the video game. You get such an amount through the campaigns that the only plausible way for them to have that much gear would be to make it gifts. It's a gamey mechanic that uses a decent justification. That got turned into a meme. Obviously a relic included in the index is intended to be used.....

If they were going to tease a Blood Ravens Index Astartes article, why wouldn't they use art from the game for which the Blood Ravens were created? That imagery is readily associated with the Chapter.

I would hesitate to call anything a fake based only on speculation. That is purportedly the back cover of this month's White Dwarf, so we'll be able to draw conclusions once we have evidence (and don't forget that subscribers have different covers, as we found with the Ynnari teaser).

I don't see the Blood Ravens really borrowing anything from the Relictors (Fire Claws!), except things that every Chapter has to one degree or another. Both Chapters feature special uses of librarians, but the uses are different.

The Blood Ravens are probably more popular/well known [than the Relictors] simply due to the fact that they were the Dawn of War Chapter - that series of games and the related books brought many new players into the hobby. The Relictors don't really have that claim. Aside from the questionable Chapter Tactics that the Blood Ravens enjoyed in 4th edition, they haven't had any decent rules, so it's understandable that this second tier Chapter would be featured as one of the earlier of the new family of Index Astartes articles. The Crimson Fists have been one of the poster Chapters of the Adeptus Astartes ever since they were featured on the 1st edition rulebook. Having them as the first of the new Index Astartes articles made sense, distinguishing them from the Imperial Fists. Many players have wish-listed the other "First Founding" Chapters and the Black Templars, but these Chapters already have rules in the codex. That doesn't mean that we won't get articles for (some of) these Chapters eventually, but GW might be trying to use the articles as a way to give us information and rules for other Chapters.

I say all of this as someone who is a big fan of the Relictors (Fire Claws!), and who is not really a fan of the Blood Ravens. I would personally prefer to see the Relictors get an article, but featuring the Blood Ravens makes perfect sense. We'll know soon enough if this is fake or not, so there's no sense making claims one way or the other if we don't know.

They would not reuse artwork that was not commissioned by GW. I think that's already been established. Its hard to tell from the photo if this is remade artwork or if they just applied a filter to the existing artwork. Its not very inspired and lacks a lot of quality I would expect from GW. Even after their terrible "outsourced" artwork in 7th ed.

Either way, I'd say this rumor is below average. 

It seems extremely plausible to me. If you consider that way more people played the Dawn of War games than have ever heard of tabletop 40k then Blood Ravens are the most well known chapter in the world.

If GW wants to grow their player base by attracting video gamers it makes total sense to have rules for the most well known chapter.

It would be very cool if they got their own psychic discipline, since the codex one is pretty disappointing.   

I reckon it's legit; it's been 6 months since the first Index Astartes article, so we're probably due another, and the Blood Ravens had an IA in the older version of the series so it's not without precedent.

Also, like it or not, they have more official model support than the vast majority of Space Marine chapters we'd maybe think of as being more "famous", and they were a lot of people's first ever experience of Space Marines and 40k in general via Dawn of War. Makes sense to me to do a new IA for them.

The more I look at it the more I think it's fake, I dunno but it seems so odd for them to get something before other well known lore Chapters. 

Considering the large number of people who regularly say Dawn of War is what got them into/even know about 40k, I'd say they're pretty damn well known.

They're also a good candidate for the Index because they lack a clear Successor to base themselves off (maybe Codex: Thousand Sons).

I am just glad for every IA they do. If people get rules support for their Hobby project, more Power to them.

I guess we will see how the main studio hadles doing warzones like vigilus from this point on. It would also be a good way to Support more subfactions. I'd love for forgeworld to get in on 40k again.

What does this even mean? :huh.:

Just because you don't recall the rules doesn't mean they didn't exist. Relictors have gotten tiny mentions throughout the lore so I can't imagine them getting anything before, let alone at all, other more prominent chapters that GW/FW have taken a shine to - Red Scoprions, Minotaurs, Spears of the Emperor, Black Templars! just to name a few.

There was the brother vs brother when apocalypse first launched in 4th. All the stores (in Canada at least) contributed to make a giant blood ravens and salamanders armies so they could fight at each gw. I still have some blood raven dice from that event