Blood Ravens IA July

dogfender

I'm really hoping for Chapter tactics, six strats, 3 relics, and an update to the Angelos model.  It's analgous to what the Fists got.

Now I just need a Black Templars IA article with some serious buffs...

Strong hint about it in one of the Heresy short stories, a member of the thousand sons who remains a loyalist after the heresy ends up hanging around with the white scars for a while. From recollection, was a member of the Corvidae sect whose emblem is almost identical to the BR.

Can only remember generalisations, so feel free to correct me if I’ve got stuff wrong guys!

Plus the fact the fleet Magnus sends away (and we haven’t heard from again) was mostly Corvidae sect.

Fleet based chapter with lots of Librarians? Check!

Wonder how they beat the flesh change and/or Rubic

DM

The thousands mass mutation that led to the rubric occured in the eye od terror. So the thousand sons magnus sent away did not go into the eye and hence were not affected.

Thats how it works in my head anyway.

Strong hint about it in one of the Heresy short stories, a member of the thousand sons who remains a loyalist after the heresy ends up hanging around with the white scars for a while. From recollection, was a member of the Corvidae sect whose emblem is almost identical to the BR.

Can only remember generalisations, so feel free to correct me if I’ve got stuff wrong guys!

Plus the fact the fleet Magnus sends away (and we haven’t heard from again) was mostly Corvidae sect.

Fleet based chapter with lots of Librarians? Check!

Wonder how they beat the flesh change and/or Rubic

DM

Not sure on the flesh change but I’ve a theory about the Rubic, lots of warp rituals are full of symbolism so depending on what the words spoken on the ritual were, a simple name and armour change could be enough to shield them, as technically their no longer thousand sons their Blood Ravens, specific oaths sworn severing their loyalty to Magnus and their past as thousand sons as well as re-dedicating their total loyalty to the Emperor could in my mind shield them even more.

The Blood Ravens are the most well known Chapter in the world. More people know about Blood Ravens than have ever played 40k table top. It makes perfect sense. How many copies of IA 9-10 do you really believe were sold? To claim any "Forge World Chapter" to be more famous than the BR is ridiculous.

I am excited to see any chapter outside the big 4 get love. And I hope the have great rules.

For some reason I feel like playing the two dawn of war games again.

That's right, there are Only. Two.

:biggrin.:

Nonono, Brother, there were technically 3, because Dawn of War 2: Retribution was a standalone that didn't need the base game and had so much content with its different factions and stories, that it was for all intents and purposes, a sequel in and of itself rather than an expansion DLC.

And, of course, there were no further games after Retribution, NO MORE, it ended on a high note.

:yes:

I actually have a question, mainly for our Fraters in the UK and the US: White Dwarf is still sold in normal bookstores and magazine shops, ya?

I ask mainly due to so many changes in White Dwarfs AND retail shops, especially bookstores in the age of Amazon, I'm no longer sure.  It's a little bit relevant to this issue (i.e. both the topic and the upcoming magazine installment), and relates to what you guys said about Blood Ravens being well-known outside The Hobby, what with them being from the Dawn of War video games.

It's to do with what people call the customer journey or the customer experience map.  The idea is how we, as customers, don't simply look at something and decide to buy it in this age of modern media.  Instead, we might notice something on our YouTube or social media feed, glance over it, then hear a friend mention it, then see it covered in a magazine, then actually pay attention and seek it out.

A number of changes in The Hobby make Blood Ravens a pretty good choice right now and I'll just map a hypothetical customer's journey:

> Be a video game/real-time strategy player

> Played or heard of Dawn of War I and II

> Forgot about Warhammer 40,000

> Go to a bookstore during the summer, it's hot, enjoy the air conditioning

> Notice a magazine with Dawn of War II on the cover, it's after E3

> Flip through it, might not even buy it, just get awareness of the tabletop game

> Might look for a Warhammer Store (maybe newly opened) or a FLGS out of curiosity

> Never thought he could paint a mini, notice new Contrast paints make it easy

> Becomes One of Us

Basically, White Dwarf is one of those things that long had the Infiltrator ability, by entering bookstores and magazine shops to expose people to The Hobby.  It's special in that it appeals to existing players and potential players (i.e. they're not playing Warhammer...but have always been a little curious) alike.  Any time after 8th ed was a pretty good time to get into 40k imho (if not the base game, then via Kill Team, Space Marine Adventures, etc.), but Contrast in particular might be what tips someone sitting on the fence over.  Thus, I agree with the Blood Ravens timing; if they're going to do it at all, this is a really good time.

And it's not just 1 thing.  It's not just Dawn of War or Contrast.  It's a bunch of nudges (I swear some dude won a Nobel Prize for studying how these nudges work) that accumulate to push someone into the pool.  And this is the ideal time for something like Blood Ravens.

I'd like to see more Index Astartes for the other Chapters, too.  I'm pretty convinced we'll get some sort of Primaris upgrade kits and I think we'll get some new rules just to give them a push.  I thought it'd be in the form of Indices Astartes, but it might be an updated Codex like for Chaos Space Marines, I dunno.

Edited by N1SB

I’m pretty excited. The dawn of war games were my first introduction to 40k. Initially I was kinda confused as to why they didn’t have any rules from GW.

I do think this came a little late though considering how big dawn of war 1 was and now how the dawn of war franchise hasn’t reached that same hype level since the original.

Oh well better late than never!

If the IA/cover attracts someone from DoW to buy the magazine, the IA will quickly move a reader from “Oh, those red raven guys must be the same as those blood drop guys, or are related to them” to “Oh, these guys don’t have anything to do with each other, and they have some of their own unique stuff too!” in a read-through or two - that’s pretty much the point of an IA, distinguishing the Chapter from other Chapters.

The idea of confusion is not a line of argument against the IA being done, it’s actually an argument for it being done, and if it allows some of those DoW players to move over to the table top, then it has already done one of its jobs.

So WD is out today - can anyone confirm of the leaked image is there for the 'Next Month' bit?

The rumor was confirmed when this month's issue was available last Saturday. :wink:

I was wrong, it is indeed not a fake:

7dhL3nX.jpg

Edit: Better image

XihssJQ.jpg

I've just gone through and removed all of the bickering posts - the Blood Ravens are going to be covered in the July WD IA article. Get over it.

I also split the posts about "Forge World Chapters" possibly getting IA articles in the future, and merged those posts with this topic in the Adeptus Astartes forum (where we discuss who we'd like to see covered in such articles).

As before, this topic is about the upcoming article about the Blood Ravens. Replies that aren't about that will be removed.

Nah, the stratagem should allow drop pods to come in within the standard range and turn limit; allowing for multiple simultaneous and devastating deep strikes using Drop Pods. Stratagem: Steel Rain

If they get the only viable drop pods I’ll flippin riot.

Any rumors floating around about what the IA is going to contain?

Nothing is known. I think it would be neat if they play up the blood Ravens stealing things, via a atrategem to steal cp from your opponent

I was going to joke about this, how their Relics section will be copypasta'd from everyone else's Relics section :biggrin.:

Can we please stop using this "Blood Magpies" meme as the basis for how the tabletop faction will work?

It was a loot system in a video game guys. Not a canonical treatise on how the Blood Ravens steal everything that isn't bolted down.