Red Corsairs WIP

Hi all. Since getting back into the hobby 2 years ago, I've pretty much painted only Imperial Fists Space marines and as much as I want to finish that project, it gets a bit tiring painting the same things over and over again so I have decided to start a small side project so I don't completely lose interest in painting. With the new release of chaos and the awesome models, I couldn't help but want to gets some, especially as I used to collect Chaos when I was younger, hence my name. It was a pick between red corsairs and word bearers as I want to paint red but chose corsairs as I'm not a big fan of the word bearers lore.

So here is my first test piece. It doesn't have any shading or highlights yet, just some rough base coats just to see what it would end up like. Some points I'm thinking of is that I might repaint the thigh strap a light cream like the box art and there may be too much gold like on the backpack, but then again these are space pirates so they will want to show off their wealth. it would be great to get some thoughts from the community, all opinions are welcome.

gallery_48140_15598_168568.jpggallery_48140_15598_66105.jpg

I also have an Imperial Fists WIP in my signature if you want to check it out.

Edited by chosonofchaos

Looks great, I agree about the gold though there looks a bit much on the backpack and maybe the chainsword. I'd definitely say either tone down the amount of gold used or tone down the brightness. Hard to say without seeing what the gold looks like finished, assuming you are planning on shading the gold with Agrax or something then the gold might not stand out as much on the finished model anyway. You could also just go in a different direction with a more bronze looking colour. 

Thanks for all the input so far.

I finally finished after a long painting session. It took a lot longer than expected, these models are just packed with so much detail. overall I think it works but I'm thinking the dawn stone highlights for the black trim are a bit too stark up close and I'm also not to sure on the loin cloth colour.

Now just waiting on some transfers to arrive so I can add the corsair symbol then I an base it which will probably end up being the same as my imperial fists.

Any new thoughts are welcome.

gallery_48140_15598_61991.jpggallery_48140_15598_77663.jpggallery_48140_15598_210937.jpg

Edited by chosonofchaos

Been a bit busy lately reorganising around the house but I've finally finished my first (recent) chaos marine. I made a few small tweaks from my last post but I'm definitely happy with how it turned out. Looking forward to painting up some more.

gallery_48140_15598_361860.jpg

gallery_48140_15598_317038.jpg

Here's whats up next

gallery_48140_15598_148576.jpg

gallery_48140_15598_361860.jpg

Thank you all for the kind words. Ive been looking at this model a bit but something about it just seems a bit off. I think it might be that there is too much red and overpowers it a bit. I'm not exactly artistically minded so I could be wrong. I was thinking of changing some parts such as the thigh and gauntlets to black like in some of the codex models. Just after some opinions if I should do this before I start on any new models.

Edited by chosonofchaos

I think the model looks great, but really each person has their own sense of what looks right.

Personally, I wouldn't make any changes yet.  Rather, I would try out the black thighs and gauntlets on a new model to see if you like it.  If you do, you could either then come back and change this guy or leave him as is - personally, I think chaos squads look better with some minor variations between models as to colour placement, as it helps capture that their organization is more fluid than their loyalist opponents'.

I think the model looks great, but really each person has their own sense of what looks right.

Personally, I wouldn't make any changes yet.  Rather, I would try out the black thighs and gauntlets on a new model to see if you like it.  If you do, you could either then come back and change this guy or leave him as is - personally, I think chaos squads look better with some minor variations between models as to colour placement, as it helps capture that their organization is more fluid than their loyalist opponents'.

Thanks for the input. I will paint a new model to test this out. I think I might also try a shade lighter red just to give more contrast between the red and black. Choosing a paint scheme definitely has to be my least liked part of miniature painting.

I really like how this one test model came out, Very crisp, and very clean highlighting. Something that I haven't been quite able to manage to do myself. On choosing a paint scheme/playign around with it, This is my personal view atleast with chaos, Don't be afraid to tweek between figures, lighter shade on one, darker on another, or changing up placement too. I feel the general look of chaos marines lends to this, and still keeps them looking like they all belong in a single force.

The first model looks awesome, I didn't think Red Corsairs could look that good! :woot:

My only concern is the time investment - those highlights must take ages...

Edited by Darnok

• 1 month later...

Thanks for everyone's input so far. So after a long period of decision paralysis, Ive managed to finish test model number 2 and I'm definitely a lot more happy with how this one looks than the first piece. The main difference is I used a lighter shade of red and changed the colour of the loin cloth. Only one little niggle is the colour of the loin cloth colour. Thinking of maybe using a different wash (possibly reikland flesh shade) to make it a little more red to help differentiate it a bit more from the bone and horns. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, what colour base do you think I should use. My thoughts were to use a dark brown such as stirland battlemire to help the red armour stand out.

gallery_48140_15598_421142.jpggallery_48140_15598_202387.jpg

Edited by chosonofchaos

Super clean paint work. He could be a recruiting poster boy for the Red Corsairs.

I do agree with your concern about the loincloth color. I would darken it a bit. Rather than a wash, try using a glaze to tint it to a darker shade. Then you have more control over the color. You already have black, brown and bone bits included, so I would avoid those colors to differentiate the cloth. You need an accent color. You've gone with blue for the eye lenses, why not use a similar shade of blue on the cloth? Just a thought.

My main criticism is that this paintjob is much better than I can do.

These lads are looking great, keep it up!

In regards to the different panels, the corsairs aren't exactly uniform, so you could easily mix and match which parts were red and which were black. Don't be afraid to try it out.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all again. It's been a little while since my last post. I have recently completed another test piece for my corsairs which I am quite happy with how this one has turned out so far. Just after some opinions, I'm not to sure about the loin cloth. I think it needs another spot colour to complete the look and was thinking of doing a dark blue/grey for the cloth. Also the the eyes will be blue and the 'eye' on the gun and shoulder will be orang, just didn't finish yet. SO any opinions are welcome, Let me know what you all think.

gallery_48140_15598_74408.jpg

gallery_48140_15598_231221.jpg