Durangan Rangers/ Durangan Milita

While most planets in the Epicnium system were subject to bombardment due to cultist activities, the Durang planet was not. It had stopped almost all of the cults from spreading to their planet, refugee ships being shot down or not allowed in. It was a Frontier World, but it was relatively calm and peaceful, and almost all the Gangers were there to help, and the hostile ones were usually crushed by the relatively small amount of Arbites.

There was a single city that contained quite a few people. It's population was around 700 million people and it was fairly well supplied.

But, a small cultist war band managed to get through the planet's defenses. And while it may have been small to most planets, to this poor frontier world it was massive. The Arbites and PDF were unable to stop the attack, and the planet was seemingly lost to the attack. However, the Arbites and PDF were able to kill almost all of the Cultists and heavy weaponry managed to kill most of the traitor Astartes. But, during all the killing, the Poxwalker virus had boomed on the planet, turning all of the dead into shambling monsters. The survivors in the city were dubbed Citywalkers, and those who abandoned the City and started new towns were could Frontiersmen.

----------

When the Imperium got in contact with Durang, they found nobody who answered the offical Vox message. However, they did receive an old Vox Communication, warning anybody who comes to 'beware the dead'. When the scouting parties made of Guardsmen landed, they were met with a swarm of Poxwalkers. After nearly dying to them, Citywalkers saved the Guardsmen's lives. After a week or two of scouting and mapping, it was decided that the Citywalkers be made into a Militia Regiment, and properly funded to be able to reclaim the City.

After making the hordes manageable, life started anew, and the Poxwalker-infested areas were made into Quarantine Zones. The Militia then started to help other planets dealing with similar problems.

----------

The Frontiersmen had managed to live simple lives with barely any energy needed. The only weapons they used were Stub-Revolvers, Lasguns (that were fitted to look like old hunting rifles), and stub rifles. When the scouting parties landed, only one landed near a Frointersmen town. They were met with hospitality and care, warning them about the City and the 'deadwalker' infestation. They seemed like nice folks, until they discovered the more brutal aspects of their lives. When a small group of Poxwalkers attacked the settlement, the fine and nice people they knew turned into unflinching killing machines with great aim.

After that, a barroom brawl, and a robbery, they knew both sides of the Frointersmen. Nice people with dark pasts and grim truths. They were given the opportunity to become a Guard regiment (there were quite a few towns) and they accepted. A small regiment, they usually keep their distance and they attempt to not needlessly lose lives. They generally don't use Commissars and Psykers are quite rare.

This scenario reminds me of the fall of Tanith, as detailed in the Gaunt's Ghosts series. A few areas of consideration:

1. If Durang resorted to denying airspace access to all voidships and refugee ships (and seemed to do a good job of it), how did a Chaotic war band manage to sneak onto the planet?

2. This also implies that the warband was very small in size - if even a fraction of the large city's 700 million citizens were issued weapons with which to fight against the invaders, it seems inconceivable that the warband would manage to overwhelm the entire planet.

3. It would make more sense if the idea of a warband was modified - instead of a group of enemies, consider maybe:

A guncutter with a single Death Guard warrior manages to make planetfall under cover of a meteor shower. The Marine infiltrates the primary city via the sewers, and introduces the Walking Pox into the primary water source, turning the majority of the human population into Nurgle-infested monsters. The remaining Arbites and PDF, confronted by a horde of enemies, cannot contain the infestation and are infected themselves, leading the few survivors to flee into the uninhabitable wastelands to stake out a life for themselves as they await Imperial assistance.

4. Minor note: Poxwalkers are created by the Walking Pox. It is most commonly spread by the Death Guard, so a nod to that Legion (or acknowledgment of a Nurgle-worshipping cult / Astartes faction present in the invasion) is key.

5. To play devil's advocate: Why is this world worth preserving to the Imperium? In this scenario, unless Durang has considerable resources, is strategically located, or has other important attributes, Exterminatus is likely a viable outcome. I know I said to be careful not to overuse this tactic in a recent post, but in this case, it is highly likely that the Inquisition would sanction the destruction of Durang to halt the spread of the Walking Pox. Nurgle's diseases are highly contagious, and a single infected ship making it off the planet could doom the entire system, so the Inquisition would be highly motivated to destroy the planet - or at the absolute least establish an orbital blockade around the planet with Imperial Navy / Astartes warships. Survivors would be regarded with extreme hostility and suspicion - many would likely be executed under the Inquisition's "better safe than sorry" motto. It is important to remember that human lives are entirely expendable in this universe. If an entire population is potentially infected, the easiest solution is to wipe it out. 

The best way to get around this argument is to find some reason why Durang is extraordinarily valuable to the Imperium. Maybe it has rare minerals or resources that are essential to the local war effort, maybe it is heavily involved in agricultural production for the subsector and entire world would starve if during fell, maybe it provides oils or lucrative resources to the Imperium at large and losing the world will be extremely unprofitable, perhaps the world is a protectorate of a local Astartes Chapter who would be mighty peeved if the Imperial Navy showed up and blew Durang to bits at the bequest of the Inquisition.

Either way, the Imperium's #1 goal would be to annihilate, without exception, the corrupt elements of the population. Whether it is the Imperial Guard, Astartes, Sisters of Battle, or Inquisition does not matter - no Imperial faction would tolerate the existence of Poxwalkers on the planet.

This is a very good start, I look forward to seeing where you take this project moving forwards. As always, I hope that my comments are of use to you!

Edited by Tarvek Val

This scenario reminds me of the fall of Tanith, as detailed in the Gaunt's Ghosts series. A few areas of consideration:

1. If Durang resorted to denying airspace access to all voidships and refugee ships (and seemed to do a good job of it), how did a Chaotic war band manage to sneak onto the planet?

2. This also implies that the warband was very small in size - if even a fraction of the large city's 700 million citizens were issued weapons with which to fight against the invaders, it seems inconceivable that the warband would manage to overwhelm the entire planet.

3. It would make more sense if the idea of a warband was modified - instead of a group of enemies, consider maybe:

A guncutter with a single Death Guard warrior manages to make planetfall under cover of a meteor shower. The Marine infiltrates the primary city via the sewers, and introduces the Walking Pox into the primary water source, turning the majority of the human population into Nurgle-infested monsters. The remaining Arbites and PDF, confronted by a horde of enemies, cannot contain the infestation and are infected themselves, leading the few survivors to flee into the uninhabitable wastelands to stake out a life for themselves as they await Imperial assistance.

4. Minor note: Poxwalkers are created by the Walking Pox. It is most commonly spread by the Death Guard, so a nod to that Legion (or acknowledgment of a Nurgle-worshipping cult / Astartes faction present in the invasion) is key.

5. To play devil's advocate: Why is this world worth preserving to the Imperium? In this scenario, unless Durang has considerable resources, is strategically located, or has other important attributes, Exterminatus is likely a viable outcome. I know I said to be careful not to overuse this tactic in a recent post, but in this case, it is highly likely that the Inquisition would sanction the destruction of Durang to halt the spread of the Walking Pox. Nurgle's diseases are highly contagious, and a single infected ship making it off the planet could doom the entire system, so the Inquisition would be highly motivated to destroy the planet - or at the absolute least establish an orbital blockade around the planet with Imperial Navy / Astartes warships. Survivors would be regarded with extreme hostility and suspicion - many would likely be executed under the Inquisition's "better safe than sorry" motto. It is important to remember that human lives are entirely expendable in this universe. If an entire population is potentially infected, the easiest solution is to wipe it out. 

The best way to get around this argument is to find some reason why Durang is extraordinarily valuable to the Imperium. Maybe it has rare minerals or resources that are essential to the local war effort, maybe it is heavily involved in agricultural production for the subsector and entire world would starve if during fell, maybe it provides oils or lucrative resources to the Imperium at large and losing the world will be extremely unprofitable, perhaps the world is a protectorate of a local Astartes Chapter who would be mighty peeved if the Imperial Navy showed up and blew Durang to bits at the bequest of the Inquisition.

Either way, the Imperium's #1 goal would be to annihilate, without exception, the corrupt elements of the population. Whether it is the Imperial Guard, Astartes, Sisters of Battle, or Inquisition does not matter - no Imperial faction would tolerate the existence of Poxwalkers on the planet.

This is a very good start, I look forward to seeing where you take this project moving forwards. As always, I hope that my comments are of use to you!

They always are.

1. With the flood of Cults and whatnot coming to the planet from Pacificae, you can't catch them all.

2/3.You can always do both. That would explain, however, how the planet turned from a nice Frontier World into the Walking Dead in a matter of days.

4. Alrighty then.

5. I was thinking a surplus of raw materials and that nearby Chapter could easily be the Guardians of Bellum.

5. I was thinking a surplus of raw materials and that nearby Chapter could easily be the Guardians of Bellum.

Those who didn't already read about your IA Chapter, would wonder, 'Who in the Warp are the Guardians of Bellum'? When giving answers that require such knowledge to understand, you should assume the other person lacks such knowledge, and include the necessary details- maybe a link to the relevant IA entry or Wikia article. Some people may find this condescending, but others will appreciate them; I'm one of the latter, as I prefer to read fanfiction by writers who include details only a HARD CORE fan would know, allowing me to appreciate stories based on franchises I'm unfamiliar with.

1. With the flood of Cults and whatnot coming to the planet from Pacificae, you can't catch them all.
2/3.You can always do both. That would explain, however, how the planet turned from a nice Frontier World into the Walking Dead in a matter of days.

With the expansion in point 1, I can see how a small group of infiltrators could breach Durang's defenses. If you wanted, you could introduce your own unique band of enemies / renegades to fit into your worldbuilding. It would be cool to see a Death Guard-esque band of Plague Marines active on Durang, and this would give you your own antagonist faction to fit into the greater narrative of the local sector. As Bjorn said, you could include a link to the warband when it comes time to collect all of the different factions / planets together in one greater storyline. 

Of course, you could also keep the 'cultist war band' as it is now! :wink:

Looking forward to seeing these worlds and factions develop further.

Edited by Tarvek Val

With the expansion in point 1, I can see how a small group of infiltrators could breach Durang's defenses. If you wanted, you could introduce your own unique band of enemies / renegades to fit into your worldbuilding. It would be cool to see a Death Guard-esque band of Plague Marines active on Durang, and this would give you your own antagonist faction to fit into the greater narrative of the local sector. As Bjorn said, you could include a link to the warband when it comes time to collect all of the different factions / planets together in one greater storyline. 

Of course, you could also keep the 'cultist war band' as it is now! ;)

Looking forward to seeing these worlds and factions develop further.

Trust me, it will.