Assault Marines Jump Packs

SyNidus

Does anyone have any ideas/alternatives to the forgeworld jump packs mark IV assault marines?

It's expensive, so i'm wondering whether you guys have any suggestions or cheaper alternatives

Spellcrow has some interesting jump packs, both with a single barrel or double barrel. Kromlech and maxmini, in the other hand, only have double barreled ones, but they are quite nice. Alternatively, you can always try to search bits sites for the plastic mkIV ones from the sanguinary guard kit, but they are always in high demand so it might be difficultto find them in stock.

The ones Gederas points out (the standard 40k jump pack) also works quite well with the MKIII armour. I’ve posted some pictures of mine below for reference. I saw the idea from a friends Alpha Legion and really liked it so went with a similar thing for mine.

They’re WIP pics so not finished but should give you an idea of what it looks like.

pzrbE2N_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

FCoxKTd_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

9yn73eM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

IJq5HVE_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edited by MARK0SIAN

The ones Gederas points out (the standard 40k jump pack) also works quite well with the MKIII armour. I’ve posted some pictures of mine below for reference. I saw the idea from a friends Alpha Legion and really liked it so went with a similar thing for mine.

They’re WIP pics so not finished but should give you an idea of what it looks like.

pzrbE2N_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

FCoxKTd_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

9yn73eM_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

IJq5HVE_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Nice work brother! I’ve always felt these jump packs look too “40k” but with the tight armour they do work nicely!

BCC

For the record, there's such a thing as plastic 'Maximus' pattern jump packs: those of the Sanguinary Guard. The wings are separate parts and can be left on the sprues at one's discretion.

The box also comes with several weapons and hands that can be stored away for other conversions. The forearms may be too distinctive to use the arms and the weapons might be too graceful for more brutal legions, however.

The Death Company also provides jump packs (along with regular power packs) but unlike the Sanguinary Guard's, Blood Angels details are sculpted on them. Blood drops and chalices only require a modeling knife whereas the Death Company's signature 'X' will need to be filled in.

This box is equally useful for its other bits, including a power fist that can look very dynamic with running legs and appropriate posing.

Gederas' contribution is probably a good source if you wish to save money or don't want to be saddled with bits you'll never use. I've never bought them myself, but I'd be wary of them still, because I wouldn't be surprised if the molds were very old, with all the issues that imply. The same caution goes for the options I suggested; my own sprues are in a very good state, but I bought them back when they came out—ten years or so ago. Today's molds may produce sprues of much lesser quality.

I just ordered a box of sanguinary guard for the jump packs. Ill try to sell the models without the packs or create artificer armored sergeants from them. Do you think they are too mkVII looking for leading IX legion assault squad?

I just ordered a box of sanguinary guard for the jump packs. Ill try to sell the models without the packs or create artificer armored sergeants from them. Do you think they are too mkVII looking for leading IX legion assault squad?

I have no experience with Blood Angels models from the Horus Heresy, so I'm basing this answer on the only power-armored model at my disposal, Forge World's praetor.

I'd say the masks are a no-go even without that previous model. I feel they scream 'Sanguinary Guard' specifically, though that may be because I nearly always saw them with the rest of their kits—the results obviously screaming that then. The 'winged' pauldrons may be too characteristic as well.

The elbow and knee armor pads may indeed not match with the mkII, mkIII and mkIV patterns. They fit mkV, but the rest of that armor is studded to hell and back (ignoring that mkV is apparently officially jury-rigged to survive that same to hell and back and as such can poach whichever pattern in existence).

The breastplates may be too gimmicky if they're on every sergeant, or only on sergeants. Their ranged weapons' unique status as wrist-mounted may also clash with the rest of the assault squads, possibly even if regular troopers use 'Angelus' pattern inferno and plasma pistols. Or spreading these weapons throughout the squad may in fact work. I only have experience with the Sanguinary Guard's melee weapons, and even that amounted to plucking the axe heads from the sprue to give them to other models.

The legs and arms would probably fit, although you may want to fill in the recesses on the knee pads. Or maybe not, since the recesses on their lower leg armor are present on the praetor as well. The legs might still look too much like dancing as opposed to running or charging, though.

In the end, the Sanguinary Guard's armor is unique enough that the issue is less 'does it look too mkVII?' and more 'does it look too Sanguinary Guard?'

For what it's worth, the free left hands should be somewhat useful for kitbashing. And the Blood Angels motifs on most of the weapons will obviously not be a problem for assault marines from the Ninth Legion.

(And these motifs can still be dealt with.)

• 3 weeks later...

not at all.  most of my Artificer armor comes from the sanguinary guard box.  i also used them as the base for dawn breakers so that is an option too.  

• 2 weeks later...

I use the same. I love them!

Agreed! Tbh these are far superior visually to all of GW’s aswell I feel. Especially combined with mk.5 Heresy armour the stud overload is strong!

BCC

I use the same. I love them!
Agreed! Tbh these are far superior visually to all of GW’s aswell I feel. Especially combined with mk.5 Heresy armour the stud overload is strong!

BCC

I agree with you! I have not encountered any other jumppacks that i like as much. Speaking of the jumppacks, i need to order some more :)