WIP - The Wings of Dawn, a Dark Angels Successor Chapter

Berzul

Echoes of Thramas...

Awesome stuff Berzul, you'll have to let us know how it goes once all this craziness is over.

One option you might consider was a cool special mission the 30k channel devised for one of their games (I think this was a while ago). The two champions were in a void bubble at the centre of the board - for the whole game, they can't leave, and no one else can enter/shoot at/interact with them. Every fight phase they would fight, with the champion that scored more wounds scoring VPs for that turn. Neither model would ever die, they would just duel again next turn to again see who could do more wounds to the other in a round. Might be an interesting twist

Great looking army you have there, the librarians are extra saucy but that could just be a thing I have for them... Great to see the depth you have gone into to really flesh them out with the fluff and artwork too - look forward to seeing more!

I spent my morning just sitting, waiting for a client to send me some documents he needed me to work on.

The itch to play started getting to me. I decided to take out my army, just to look at it. Maybe it would make the itch subside (and it did, a bit, thankfully). While I was at it, I realized that I had my entire army at hand (sans my Dreandought, which is not ready), and tired to get some army wide pictures of the 2nd company battle line, for the IA I continue to write on the chapter as a whole.

So, here is a set of pictures of the army, just for fun.

IMG-20200409-110154526.jpgIMG-20200409-110215611.jpgIMG-20200409-110223255.jpgIMG-20200409-110252649.jpgIMG-20200409-110230717.jpgIMG-20200409-110240940.jpgIMG-20200409-110235559.jpgIMG-20200409-110301380.jpgIMG-20200409-110305390.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd come and share this on this thread.

I often commission art from friends who are illustrators. Recently, I commissioned a piece of my Second Company Master, Dragomir Arcalis. I wanted to share it with you guys:

Whats-App-Image-2020-05-17-at-15-31-05.j

• 1 month later...

Hey guys.

So... this thread has been silent for a while. There is a reason to it.

As those who have read it know, I have often made it a point that my army, although a personal project, was not and has not been painted by me. There are many reasons to this, ranging from work making it really hard, a lack of a place I can sit down and paint in, my 4 year old having easy access to my stuff, and my own doubts about my own skill due to the long time I have spent away from painting throughout my life (this last one having been a cause for me to almost quit the hobby altogether, about 15 months back).

This a main reason for me not posting much here anymore. I guess it is the sort of shame that some who may find himself in my shoes might come to feel when sharing a lot of pictures of minis that he "owns" but were not made by his "own hands". Something that, in years past, made me feel undeserving of having my army, let alone displaying it. Again, not for nothing I almost quit the hobby 15 months ago.

In the time that has passed since the COVID-19 pandemic started, I have continued to get minis painted for the army, In fact, I dare say, my Firstborn are almost done (as much as I am going to get them done), with only 6 black knights, a landspeeder vengeance, and 2 whirlwind/rhinos left to go. You can see the state of the army here:

IMG-20200719-170539862.jpg

This army is something I feel very proud of, as I have worked tirelessly on it. Not painting it, but writing its lore in the Liber Astartes (with the Index linked to my profile signature). I have written a codex worth of pages for the background of the models, the chapter's history, its culture and organization... only a fraction of it is in this forum, in fact. The part that I feel is most fun to read, at any rate. I have collected it meticulously, trying to get the bits, models, colors, just right. As close to lore as I can, given my means.

Here I have

The grand master of the chapter
The master of the librarium, with his librarius conclave

The master of sanctity, with his TDA reclusiarch

The 2nd company, with his master, chaplain, lieutenants, command squad, veterans (in TDA), and full 1st battle line (30 tacticals, 10 assault in bikes and speeder, 10 devastators, 1st dreadnought)
The main heroes of 1st company, in the form of the Knights, their Ancient, and the 1st Company Chaplain.

With the things left to make, come the knights of the 8th company (6 on bikes, 3 on a speeder, and the 10th is absent for lore reasons)

This is an army I feel comfortable with, but although it is MY army, and I love it and cherish it deeply, it still stands as something I made, but did not craft.

.... Well, I have decided that this needs to change.

So, as luck would have it, my mother gifted me this:

IMG-20200626-WA0046.jpg

Which is an old desk my father owned when he was a young man, and that my family has restored. An heirloom that, as you can see here:

IMG-20200626-WA0044.jpg

Can hold a LOT of bits, sprues, and supplies. Something that has a lid that I can close, to keep my things to myself, and from where I can finally try again to work on my hobby, without having my life and my family coming into conflict with the personal space this hobby demands.

With the coming of Indomitus, and the appearance of Primaris units that FINALLY look and feel like part of the 1st Legion, and with this gift I have received, as well as my Firstborn being almost done, I have decided to take this as an opportunity to tackle the one thing that is left for me to do in the hobby. Relearning how to paint, so as to make an army that is made and crafted by my own hand. I am awaiting shipments with all the paints and tools that I will need to do this, and I have the support from my friends who have agreed to reteach me ropes on how to do this.

Wish me luck, brothers.

I hope I can muster my army on my own, as I make the transition —at long last— into the Primaris side of the Wings of Dawn. However they may turn out, and however long it might take to make them, this time, they will be my own in every sense.

I hope to bring pictures of this to this thread, soon enough.

Edited by Berzul

Yeah dude! Nice roll top there. This is motivating... pushing me ever closer to my glorious return. which I have been saying since my first son was born about 4 years ago, and now my second son is due any day, so we’ll see if I can actually get the painting area set up for an indomitable Christmas.

• 2 months later...

So, its been a LONG time, and I am still not ready to start painting... because I am still lacking some essential colors. I have bought supplies from over 6 different store so far, both in my own country and from abroad. Is it always THIS hard to get supplies and paints? My god... I don't remember this being this hard. Pandemic sure has something to do with it, but still, DAMN! This has been a LONG wait, and I still have to wait longer.

In the meantime, because I want to keep my army rolling, I have continued to rely on my friends and their painting skills. With the parts of my firstborn army that I still lack. This includes, right now, the Master of the 1st Company, which is one of the last things I had in my backlog, for before getting back into the painting side of the hobby myself.

In fact, I bring this topic up because I'd love any input I could get on the model? I am using the Terminator Captain model, but traded in the Iron Halo for a set of wings on the back to denote the rank of the Master. A shoulderpad with a winged angel on the right arm, a crux terminatus on the left, and a storm bolter with the mark of the Deathwing. A helmeted head, because I do not like to use uncovered heads on models unless I have no other choice.

My doubt here is on the pose of the model. Specifically, the angle of the arm that holds the bolter.

What do you guys think looks best?

Whats-App-Image-2020-10-13-at-16-33-54.jWhats-App-Image-2020-10-13-at-16-33-53.jWhats-App-Image-2020-10-13-at-16-54-07.j

I like the third one the most, but the second is fine too. I don't think the first pose looks quite right with how the arm is.

I kind of see the pose as the reversed direction of the one they did for the Dark Angels legion praetor

99550101627_DALegionTerminatorPraetor01.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Thanks guys. Yeah, I find that holding the Storm Bolter upwards and close is what would make most sense. I actually tried standing in these poses to find how natural they would feel, and I find that bolter upright is the most natural resting position for the arm.

• 2 months later...

It's been five months.

FIVE months.

But a shipment of paint finally arrived today!

I am FINALLY a little bit closer to getting the paints I need to start working on my army:

Whats-App-Image-2020-12-16-at-12-56-50.j

Saddly I am lacking one key color. The GREEN.

I am a Dark Angel with no GREEN to paint with!! D: Lion forgive me, this is just maddening... it's been almost HALF A YEAR, and I am still waiting on shipments of paint to arrive.... but, they will. One day soon, they will, and I'll be able to begin my journey into becoming able to paint a decent army once more.

My skills have not been used for as long as the Primarch has been asleep, but my desire to take a brush and begin relearning this is as intense as ever.

Nothing to do, for now, though, but wait. Just as the we all await for the return of the Lion.

Just a little longer. A liiiiiiiitle longer...

Edited by Berzul

• 1 month later...

The ten thousand years long wait is over.

My tools are finally ready, and although my first steps back into the fold are small and clumsy, I have vowed to myself not to stop until my painting skills are worthy of the legion.

photo-2021-01-29-16-51-34.jpgIMG-20210201-091608115.jpg

I have decided to dedicate this entire year, just to re-learn everything I used to know way back when, and to practice my skills until I can make a good looking, tabletop ready army. I will start by painting the thirty tactical marines I have lying around, one each week of this year.

I will be painting them in the color scheme of my chapter, of course. I will be inducting these battle brothers into the sixth company. They will be Tactical Reserves, for my future battles.

This is the first step in this months long process.

photo-2021-02-01-09-52-36.jpgphoto-2021-02-01-09-52-37.jpg

Let's see if I can get this guy inducted into the army by the end of the week.

Ok, I do not plan on spamming this thread with posts at every single step I take in my painting, but I do want to show that I am INDEED working on these models. So, here is a few pictures of my work so far, which can be characterized as "really slow, but very steady". Amazing how using such a translucent paint can affect the time... I am using dark forest green from scale75, which requires me to apply like 5 coats of the color, which really takes up a while. Since I only have an hour a day to work, it's taken me two mornings to get this far. Still, as long as I do manage to paint every day, as planned, I should move forward at a good enough pace.

IMG-20210203-100310131-MP.jpgIMG-20210202-104022445.jpgIMG-20210202-104007348.jpg