Are power swords on Intercessor Sgts worth it?

old git

What you need to remember is that, despite having that extra attack, Primaris units are almost exclusively shooting focussed as opposed to close combat, Intercessors especially. A power sword gives nice AP but you're still only hitting on S4. For Blood Angels it's better (though still iffy) because of the Red Thirst, but for normal marines I'm not so sure. If you have points spare and nothing more useful to use them on then for sure, go ahead, but generally speaking I'd avoid a close combat upgrade on a shooty unit. Any actual close combat unit will rip them apart in melee anyway, power sword or no power sword, so you're unlikely to get much mileage out of it.

Chainswords a better choice at no cost imo. If you can find a good way to model them let me know. (and no, not the Anniversary Sgt) :wink:

Know anyone who got Burning of Prospero?

Because that box comes with three sets of Mark III Marines.... Which means there's THIRTY stowed chainswords. I've used one on Sergeant Vanael here:

7UOXtgE.jpg

YCn1GA6.jpg

I like power swords, they look cool and are 4pts each so why not? If you are looking for a better loadout then Chainswords, a single power sword model isnt THAT impactful but having more S4 attacks will add more punch to the overall squad and its free, with Indomitus Crusaders the Sgt would be swinging 5A which is pretty damn good.

Intercessors are primarily used for their shooting, but timely use of their melee capabilities has won me a fair amount of games. Sgt. with three S4 AP-3 attacks can sometimes make the difference. The Power Fist should only be purchased if you have a concrete idea on how you plan on using it. The Chainsword competes with the Power Sword and it comes down to whereyour points are at. You can *always* give Sgts. the chainsword and the extra attack is always helpful. 

If you're fighting 2+-4+ enemies and you aren't seeing Storm Shields all day every day, then go for the Power Sword if you have the points. If you run into hordes or don't have the points to spare for a Power Sword, go Chainsword.

As Blood Angels they are well worth it. As Space Wolves I'd rather go with a Powerfist. Wtih any other Chapter .... well do you need the points elsewhere? No? Do you think it looks cool? Then just go for it. It's better than not having it and also better than having unspend points for sure.

Depends on the intended role. If they sit back at the furthest objective and don't get any closer, chainswords are better.

But I've used intercessor as prime midfield skirmishers - overlooked next to the big stuff, they focus on getting to an objective and overwhelming other small objective grabbers. And in that regard, I've found swords useful:

-Intercessors are two tacs each in CC - twice the wounds, twice the attacks, but don't look like much. Meaning they stick around, while being safe from getting shot. Sticking around in CC means getting to use that sword

-A sword might not be impressive (or considered a threat), but at 3A it will statistically still kill almost a marine per turn, almost twice of what the chainsword with +1A would do (0.83 vs 0.44 with chainsword). Get to swing that thing once even against cheaper foes, and you've statistically earned back the points.

-For taking objectives, using other units as CC slingshots or mopping up other objective grabbers in CC (now that it doesn't prevent you from shooting, unlike last edition) is fairly common. Having a bit more punch for a meagre points cost seems worth it

-Your opponent needs to go through 10W MEQ (for a 5 model squad) to kill the sword guy - same as a full tac squad. If that happens in CC, chances are these guys get to swing once or twice. And your models are rather expensive - save one wound by killing an attacker before it strikes back, and it's already paid back

So yeah...swords may not be mandatory, or pay back their points every time, but I've found them useful so far. Meaning I usually stock up on more models, and use spare points for swords. Considering the cheapest primaris models clock in at 17p, chances are you'll have a few left over.

I’d just echo what MajorNese said about extra models. Obviously I don’t know your list but 30 points buys you another additional model and if you can squeeze a few more points somewhere you could get an aggressor or inceptor. The number of shots from an extra bolter aggressor or having an extra inceptor will probably be more universally useful than the sword on sergeants, particularly as you can give them chainswords for free.

If you went with a cheaper model you would also still have some points left over to but a couple of swords if you really wanted them.

Edited by MARK0SIAN

Intercessors are a shooting unit but one doesn't always have the choice.

I've gotten milage out of power fists. Back field Da' Jumps be damned, on Indomitus Veterans no less.

Indomitus Veterans get a lot more out of melee weapons.

Intercessors are only slightly more shooty than they are punchy. 1-2 S4 AP-1 D1 shots vs 2 S4 AP0 D1 attacks. They are an allrounder unit you push towards the middle of the board and occasionally charge other shooty units with.

Intercessors are pretty effective in both melee and shooting. With the way melee works, you can often get to use their 2 S4 Ap0 melee attacks twice for every one of their shooting phases because you get to swing in your turn and your opponent's (provided you've not wiped the unit and locked it in combat sufficiently). I've found that to be a pretty easy task to do, especially since Intercessors barreling down the field aren't often your opponent's primary targets. 

I personally prefer to use the fists myself, but I play Crimson Fists right now and the consistent removal of the hit penalty from the chapter tactic makes them extremely deadly.