So I guess I’m one of you now?

War Angel

A good friend of mine is moving, and has come to the conclusion that his models never see the light of the game store anymore. Much to his wife’s joy and my wife’s sorrow, he’s given me his entire collection of models. Among them, a large number of guardsmen, and more relevantly, black Templar.

They need some clean up, but so far I have uncovered two land raider crusaders, one standard land raider, two predators, two rhinos, a vindicator, a whirlwind and a Razorback. I think I’ve found some of the troops, but I’ll have to get to them later.

So, I’ve never played black Templar’s before, what advice do you all have for me. Also, does anyone have tips on how to clean a solid build up of dust off the models?

Can't help you with playing Templars, but to remove some dust you could either fill up a sink and scrub the model with a soft bristle brush (old toothbrush or a fingernail brush) under the water, or do the same under running water. I have an unfortunate habit of starting a project, shelving it for a while, and coming back to it later which has gotten me a lot of experience with removing dust from models. 

Welcome to the Eternal Crusade.

Well maybe first have a look at All the things you have and then decide what you want to get.

Your Landraiders could be filled with zealous melee Crusader squads, so for that you'd need scouts and melee marines.

Or you could fill them with terminators.

In General you can run crusaders in one of three ways:

5 man MSU squads with a special weapon, a heavy weapon, a Combi weapon, mostly plas plas plas las. This is called the faux devi squad. You can fill their ranks with a few neophytes for more Bolter fire and ablative wounds. Park these dudes in a building somewhere and watch as they shoot stuff. Its an easy and cheap way to get some ranged firepower in.

The next Version is 5 crusaders + 4/5 neophytes kitted for melee riding in a rhino. Flamer optional. 9 guys if a HQ cones with them. The weakest setup, but I for my part love an armoured spearhead. You can put a Power sword on one initiate, as well as on the sword brother in there. This is slightly okay in terms of points for damage as you trade 5 S4AP0 attacks for 3 s4ap-3 attacks. Schlitzaf can explain the math behind it better, but in General the more crusaders you have, the less that iniefficiency matters when you look at the cost of the whole squad. Also you want your space knights to have lightning swords dont you?

Then there is black tide: 15—20 quys kitted for melee footslogging it. You could also put 15 in a LRC. This is apparently the most competetive setup

Some further points'

To make the large squads work, you might want to get cenobyte servitors (they are in the grimaldus Box. Alternative kitbash your own) they are a cheap elite choice to fill out a detachment,take up space on the board and make our guys fearless. Dont feed them your opponent for first blood though.

An ancient with the Relic Banner is an excellent idea to run with your melee blob. They will be fearless and can strike back when dying and marines die quickly in 8th ed. Also a 2nd elites choice thats pretty cheap.

You cant go wrong with an emperors Champion. A unit doesnt get any more iconic than him.

Vigilus gave us two New options, that are pretty Hard hitting:

We now have the sword brethren detachment that gets access to a warlord trait and some pretty good stratagems.

Who is a sword brother? Every company Champion. You can take 5 of these guys. Give them Power fists and storm shields and they can crack vehicles pretty well. Storm shields and swords/axes will let them kill infantry pretty nicely.

Also there can be a captain with anew warlord trait that gives +1 attack and exploding sixes. Give him a thunderhammer to smash tanks and knights or the Relic chainsword to reliably cut up most infantry and monsters.

I hope my phone hasnt :cussed up my writing too much on this lengthy post.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

For starters, I would recommend picking up another predator so you can use the killshot strategem with 3 predators. 

Warhammer hobbyist in a nutshell; "Netted a huge haul of gear that will keep you occupied for a while? Immediately buy a new kit to supplement it." :biggrin.:

I have an unfortunate habit of starting a project, shelving it for a while, and coming back to it later which has gotten me a lot of experience with removing dust from models. 

Yep me too, I have gotten into the habit of storing it all in a cabinet, and using a trusty air duster to blow everything away.

I started going through some more boxes today. There’s lots of BT scattered throughout the collection. Two terminators were hanging out in a box with a bunch of bretonian knights..... I :cuss you not, the knights were in an orderly rank and file when I opened it. There was plenty of room for them to scatter about, but they didn’t. I can only assume the terminators has something to do with this.

So do BT use bikes? Cause I got at least 10 of them.

So do BT use bikes? Cause I got at least 10 of them.

Sure, they are the recon elements of a crusade since they dont use scouts in that role. You could make them into Company Veterans, couple of power weapons and storm bolters and use the Vigilus detachment to buff them, if not then normal bikes are ok if you throw them into combat ASAP as you can potentially tie units very fast.

The Chapter can appear to be divided on that issue. There is a misconception that we only do choppy choppy. This is incorrect.

Fluff wise I usually pray in aid of the 3rd edition cover. It's probably one of the seminal pieces of BT artwork and yet there is not a single chainsword in sight. (We are the sons of Dorn after all, if tasked to hold ground, we hold ground.)

Rules wise, we can actually provide one of the best fire support castles in the Astartes Codex. (After Ultras probably) This is because we can plonk a Marshal/High Marshal (I personally prefer a dirt cheap marshal with the chapter master stratagem) in the middle of a lot of ranged units, give him the Crusader's Helm and Storm of Fire and we can deal out plenty of re-rolling dakka within a 9" radius. Combine that with the fact our Shooty Crusader Squads are actually pretty versatile, and we can dish out the pain. 

(Crusader Squad shooty versatility is provided by the MSU Combi, Special, heavy, and it also helps that we can chuck an extra bolter marine in for 11 points in the form of a Neophyte.)

Too elaborate on a few things; here how the math works.

A Faux Devi Squads, mathmatically equivalent to 2 HvyDevi Squads at long, and 3 HvyDevi at short range. The basic math is 2 Shots from Plasma/Specials = 1 Heavy Weapon. For comparison sake.

Lascannon = 0.66 hits = 0.55 or 0.44 wounds. Then 0.45/0.38 or (roughly 1.75/1.40 damage).

2 Plasma Shots = 1.32 hits then = 1.10/0.88 wounds and then about 0.9/0.72 and 1.8/0.72 damage.

The thing with (1A) Power Sword is that they do increase damage of the equipped model. But do not increase efficiency. Normally a 2A Chainsword does 1.32 hits then 0.66 wounds then 0.22 damage. While a Power Sword does 0.66 hits then 0.33 wounds followed by 0.275 wounds. So it’s a 33% price increase for a 25% damage increase. Once you start getting to 200ish points. The price of the upgrade relative to squad is less. So because it still is a damage increase, the relative cost of the upgrade is mitigated on squad level