Hints at additional Primaris releases and future changes

Hi

I don't typically make topics, but I noticed a few hints at the future of the Primaris line from the Apocalypse datasheets.

The Eliminator squad has an option for something called a Las-Fusil, allowing all the models in the unit to exchange their sniper rifles for one. In Apocalypse the weapon has a focus on anti tank, indicating the full release of the Eliminators will grant them this additional purpose which is befitting of their role as heavy support. A unit that can be deployed anywhere, is stealthy and resilient and can be armed with heavy firepower could potentially be very effective.

I also noticed a change to the name of the Wargear of the Reivers. The combat blades are now listed as Reiver blades. This could be an indication of a change in the rules but it's only guess work at this point.

Also, in terms of the new Repulsor - the Ironhail heavy Stubber is an optional extra so it might be a bit cheaper to field effectively, although in fairness this stubber is quite an attractive long range weapon.

I'm hoping that this topic can be used to discuss these findings, and for people to feel free to list any other hints at future releases the Apocalypse datasheets might provide.

---edit---

Grammatical error correction

Edited by Orange Knight

The Reiver blade thing is a bit exciting, but comparing it with other weapons isn't very enlightening. It does increase the attacks by 1, indicating that rule remains in play in Apoc (and therefore is likely to remain in 40k), but it carries the same SAP 7+/SAT 9+ statline as the other Str 4 ap- style weapons (like boltguns, marine ccw, etc.)

But then again, there's really nothing we can infer for certain from that since things like bolt rifles are so deadly in comparison, whereas weapons with similar profiles in 40k are distinctly worse than the boltgun (like the stubber, which is Str 4 Ap -1 but works out to SAP 8+/SAT 10+ in Apoc). I'm probably getting too deep into the weeds for nothing of value here. Basically, there's no indication that the Reiver blades will or will not increase in lethality. 

Carrying on this (admittedly ill advised) comparison train, the Las-fusils appear to have the same capability against tanks as most of the souped up Primaris plasma options. 

Sadly, it is the only one of the new units that appear to have a "fundamentally" different weapon from the baseline. That doesn't really mean we can absolutely positively state the Infiltrators or the Suppressors won't get any new choices when the multi-part kit arrives, only that any new choices are likely to maintain the same primary target option. 

Well, the SM 2.0 codex should be right around the corner, they desperately need it. And the Eliminators kit will come with another weapon option, so we now know its name and purpose.

I hope Reivers get better weapons, they just don't cut the mustard at the moment.

It’s because they have knives and not chainswords. Chainswords cut mustard. And ribs.

I wish they had real swords. Like the powered kind that can actually cut ceramite :D

In the Blood Angels Codex there is a fluff picture of a Blood Angels Librarian in Gravis Armor

It's not Gravis armour. We've had that discussion when the Codex got released already. He just looks so bulky because the psychic hood has the same design has the Gravis cowl and because of his pose. The body plates, boots and even the cloth and all the details are 100% the same as on the Primaris Librarian model

There needs to be one but I fear it'll just be like the new Chaos Marines one and lack all the amendments we all desire.

That's possible, though theirs was a little bit like a stop gap rather than an update. Sure, it included the new units, but it was also alongside the real bonus to Chaos - the campaign book, and was (albeit poorly) designed to be optional. I think it's a legitimate fear that the next codex won't go far enough, but I'm not so sure it would happen here too simply because there doesn't seem to be a similar campaign book in the wings to supplement the codex release.

At this point there's 7 new data sheets to include and possibly two chapters worth of extra rules (Crimson Fists and Blood Ravens). If that were all, I think it would feel similar to the Chaos one for sure.

But the rumoured additions of things like vehicle chapter tactics could make it more interesting. We shall call see...

Edited by Lemondish

My apparent pessimism on GW's ability to deliver is not unfounded. I hope you're right but I suspect a new Codex is miles off.

I can see a Primaris supplement, mind. Which I think would please most of the folk posting in this topic.

And that would serve as a test bed to releasing a Codex Primaris later down the line and likely a true separation between Classic Marines and Primaris. (Classic Marines likely will stick to this current Codex and get nothing new though)

I don't expect anything more than CSM got. An update to the current Codex with the new Primaris stuff and if we are lucky a little bit more like they got with the Renegade Warbands.

Guest MistaGav

I'm hoping we see an option to take Eliminators & Suppressors in groups of 6 rather than 3 as that would be nice. Curious to see that this new weapon option is like and even more for the actual model. Do we know when the next big weekender is? Those tend to be when stuff is announced.