Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Praetorian Sword - A DIY Draft

Praetorian Sword DIY space marines DIY astartes DIY chapter

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,563 posts
  • Faction: Sons Of Doom,Vanquishers

Looking great! Always gives me the warm fuzzies whenever Heraldry is discussed and refined. Either that or my Grox-Curry is beginning to disagree with me...

I took the liberty of running it through the older Wargear Painter, so it can fit in with Philip S.'s 1000 Chapter Gallery project once everything is completed.

gallery_26154_1503_12135.jpg

Once the flow starts in writing, it can be very fun indeed to see where it goes. Looking forwards to finding out more over the future months! thumbsup.gif

Cambrius

Edited by Brother Cambrius, 01 August 2019 - 09:30 PM.

• Brother Lunkhead likes this

gallery_26154_15777_7710.png sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pngjHkptLG.png]gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_48988_10069_2782.png gallery_48988_11572_5225.png

Messor

Messor

++ PROCREATOR COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,161 posts
  • Faction: Cold Fire Coalition

That scheme is gorgeous, Lunkhead. Great choices.

gallery_26154_15777_721.png

The Liber; it's like a Biscopea for DIYs!

Messor's Content

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,188 posts
  • Faction: Praetorian Sword, Ultramarines

Thanks everyone for all of your great feedback and advise. It's all been immensely helpful in getting this project on the moveyes.gif

The Wargear treatment looks great Brother Camthumbsup.gif Thanks for that.

I'm really chomping at the bit to get some models painted, but as I've said, most of my hobby empire is in storage and will likely stay there until I finish the new house (finished enough for us to move in that is). I do have my Primaris with me though ( they came out after I locked up my Old Marines in stasis) so I'm going to try and steal some time here and there to work on them. Our current living arrangements don't allow for hobby space, but several of my LFGS's have generously offered me space to work (what a great bunch of folkswub.gif) so I may have a Primaris army before I even start on my First Gen Marineslaugh.png. As soon as I've got anything painted up, I'll post it.

Next on my list of things-to-do for my IA is Force Structure. The Praetorian Sword is generally Codex compliant. Veteran, Battle, Reserve, and Scout Companies will be standard. I'll be adding a Primaris 11th Company per Lord Guilliman's instructions. Taking some inspiration from the Romans and a little personal license, I'm adding one ground vehicle and one flyer Auxiliary. Fleet Command will have a Auxiliary Flight Wing (fighters, interceptors, transport, etc.) and the Armory will be in charge of the Ground Vehicle Support Auxiliary (bikes, speeders, tanks, etc.). Manpower is provided by a reserve pool of "wounded" Space Marines. Some augmented Marines may no longer be ideally suited for line duty but can still command a tank or fly a Stormtalon.

Chapter Headquarters will be my first task and will undergo a few changes. I'll be creating permanent staff officer positions directly under the Chapter Master for Masters of the Fleet, Marches, Relics, Victuals, etc. I've always thought it odd that these titles were given to Captains who more often than not would be light years from the Chapter proper to perform these functions. So those honorary titles go and are now given practical positions.

All this might sound like a lot of additional Space Marines but it's not..... no more than a company of "walking wounded".

That's all for now. As usual, comments and money are always welcomemsn-wink.gif

Fury and Firebiggrin.png

Brother Cambrius

Brother Cambrius

++ VISUM COLORATOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,563 posts
  • Faction: Sons Of Doom,Vanquishers
One thing to note with pilots and drivers, wouldn't they need to be indoctrinated in thecways of the Adeprus Mechanicus to operate the blessed and intricate machinery of those vehicles?

I do love the idea of the walking wounded company, basically are Astartes Phoenixes rising from their fall?

The titles of commanders will be fun. I did some custom ones in my Vanquishers and Sons of Doom befitting more combative roles alongside the standard titles. Notably Master of the Breach for the Company that holds a lot of the bunker/armour busting weaponry. So if you wanted titles beyond the more beauracratic have it it and brainstorm away. :D

Cambrius

Edited by Brother Cambrius, 04 August 2019 - 11:08 AM.

gallery_26154_15777_7710.png sml_gallery_81492_11492_822.pngjHkptLG.png]gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_48988_10069_2782.png gallery_48988_11572_5225.png

The_Bloody

The_Bloody

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 586 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters, Dark Angels
I like what you have here.

First of all, I share your concerns regarding GW's IP. Having more agency on your Chapter is, in my opinion, one of the best things about making "your dudes".

I really like the way you want to blend different cultures, especially the spartan-hebraic idea. I think it may result in something very original, and look forward to seeing it explored more!

Time travel is not really a concept I love, but it's well established in the setting, so it's totally fair for you to use it and I think you did it in a sensible way. Calgar's role feels consistent, and him interceding on your dude's behalf seems natural and not overdone in terms of "extenal validation from established characters" - which is always a concrete risk. The Inquisition's inspection may have been more fair than I would expect it to be. There is room for bigger and more dramatic grudges here, in my opinion, à la Logan Grimnar and the "tainted" guardsmen. Anyway, +1 for Inquisitor Egotobig!

I agree with Hasoroth regarding Bellerophon's proximity with Guilliman. IIRC the XIIIth had quite a lot of Chapter Masters, so he may have been powerful but relatively obscure at the time, one among a hundred others. This reduces the risks of clashing with GW's lore and is quite futureproof, as H said. The reply you have given him makes me believe you are on the same page, anyway. On the other hand, Bellerophon's reunion with his father in the Dark Imperium would be surely make for an interesting episode.

I also like the "walking wounded" idea as well as the honorary titles reorganization. It makes sense.

Keep going!

Edited by The_Bloody, 04 August 2019 - 11:59 AM.

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,188 posts

Thanks for the feedback guysyes.gif

One thing to note with pilots and drivers, wouldn't they need to be indoctrinated in thecways of the Adeprus Mechanicus to operate the blessed and intricate machinery of those vehicles?

I do love the idea of the walking wounded company, basically are Astartes Phoenixes rising from their fall?

The titles of commanders will be fun. I did some custom ones in my Vanquishers and Sons of Doom befitting more combative roles alongside the standard titles. Notably Master of the Breach for the Company that holds a lot of the bunker/armour busting weaponry. So if you wanted titles beyond the more beauracratic have it it and brainstorm away. biggrin.png

Cambrius

I know GW always shows Techmarines piloting their flyers and driving their tanks, but I don't think any Space Marine chapter has enough Techmarines to fly and drive every deployed vehicle. More practically, the Forge Master probably indoctrinates all crews in basic vehicle operations and principals, and provides one Techmarine to each deployed company.

Astartes Phoenixes...…. EXACTLYbiggrin.png

Right! Each line commander has a title befitting his responsibility or area of experts. Funny you mentioning "Master of the Breach". My 3rd Battle Company excels at siege breaking and boarding actions and will be kitted out in MkIII armor and boarding shields. I shall be stealing that title from youph34r.png

I like what you have here.

First of all, I share your concerns regarding GW's IP. Having more agency on your Chapter is, in my opinion, one of the best things about making "your dudes".

I really like the way you want to blend different cultures, especially the spartan-hebraic idea. I think it may result in something very original, and look forward to seeing it explored more!

Time travel is not really a concept I love, but it's well established in the setting, so it's totally fair for you to use it and I think you did it in a sensible way. Calgar's role feels consistent, and him interceding on your dude's behalf seems natural and not overdone in terms of "extenal validation from established characters" - which is always a concrete risk. The Inquisition's inspection may have been more fair than I would expect it to be. There is room for bigger and more dramatic grudges here, in my opinion, à la Logan Grimnar and the "tainted" guardsmen. Anyway, +1 for Inquisitor Egotobig!

I agree with Hasoroth regarding Bellerophon's proximity with Guilliman. IIRC the XIIIth had quite a lot of Chapter Masters, so he may have been powerful but relatively obscure at the time, one among a hundred others. This reduces the risks of clashing with GW's lore and is quite futureproof, as H said. The reply you have given him makes me believe you are on the same page, anyway. On the other hand, Bellerophon's reunion with his father in the Dark Imperium would be surely make for an interesting episode.

I also like the "walking wounded" idea as well as the honorary titles reorganization. It makes sense.

Keep going!

Thanks for the comments Brother Bloody.

Yup..... "agency" is the key to happiness for me. GW just had to nudge me over the edgeteehee.gif

Time travel is not one of my favorite tropes either, but fortunately it worked out well for me. Since the warp is out of normal time and space, I've always envisioned it as having streams of time running forwards, backwards, and sideways. Great breaching events such as the Eye of Terror and the Great Rift create storms that temporarily draw these streams towards them. They are anomalies created as a byproduct of these events and not inventions of ritual or incantation by the Chaos gods or their minions. Fleet Praetor was caught in a storm created by the Great Rift and thrown forward in time towards this event. Given their almost ten thousand year journey, being spit out five or six hundred years before the actual event was practically a bullseye.

I tried very carefully to slide my Chapter into current events without being too flashy. The Inquisition never forgets.... There will definitely be an ongoing shadow conflict between the Praetorian Sword and the Ordo Hereticus. Chapter Master Bellerophon drop kicks more than one Inquisition operative out of the airlock!

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by Brother Lunkhead, 04 August 2019 - 06:08 PM.

Knight of the Raven

Knight of the Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,685 posts

I had reservations about the confrontation between the Inquisition and Retribution Fleet Praetor, being a little too close to the vicarious one-upmanship I'm used to from several fans of Warhammer 40,000, but it checks out in the end.

I mean, the whole scenario makes sense. Some folks among the Imperium ought to hear about these strange Great Crusade-era fleets sighted here and there for an entire century across the entire galaxy. I don't exactly expect Bellerophon's scattered forces to ignore calls for help as they look for each other, after all. They're Ultramarines, damnit. There's going to be stories about mysterious ships of burned metal and righteous wrath, bearing the sigil of the Thirteenth Legion as they emerge from the mists of ancient time to save the day whether the Retribution Fleet wants them or not.

So yes, it makes much sense that the Inquisition keeps an eye on these strange rumors. And if they're confirmed, it's pretty obvious these survivors are gonna show up in Ultramar at some point.

And five thousand space marines along with their fleet from before a time anything that's not a glorified transport ship was relinquished to the Imperial Navy because of the Codex Astartes are going to put a serious dent in Behemoth, even if they never met a tyranid before. Those other Primogenitor fleets will answer Calgar's call to shields, even without the whole 'saw the primarch with their own eyes' deal. And these friendly chapters were probably recalled to Ultramar as soon as the First Tyrannic War began, and were probably still around to mop up survivors as well, so it's not like Calgar is pulling them out of other theaters of war and dooming entire sectors to an ignominious death in order to even the scales.

Now, onto Bellerophon and Guilliman Returned, even if you don't plan to have much interaction between them.

First, the obvious thing. A retribution fleet is going to be led by someone whose integrity, wisdom and skills are trusted by Guilliman. No question about it. Especially if he's supposed to protect civilians and refugees to boot. So I don't see any issue with Bellerophon being someone important in his chain of command—or even circle of friends or confidentes.

But I feel Guilliman would be very interested in someone from the time of the Imperial Truth when he has to deal with the Ecclesiarchy every day (and apparently 'well-thinking' representatives if my second-hand information is correct). Someone from the time where the Emperor's Dream was shattered and His Imperium bloodied, but unbowed. I'm certain Guilliman wants to spend time with these sons he saw fight with his own eyes, from Chapter Master Mericus Bellerophon to the lowest tactical marine, along with the humans who serve under them.

It's just, you know, he can't afford it. What with the Imperium being torn in half and the inability to be in more than one place at any given time and all.

And one thing about the Inquisition. It's not monolithic. For every inquisitor that got upset at the debacle over Retribution Fleet Praetor, there's going to be two inquisitors upset at them for trying to bully the biggest reason the Eastern Fringe is still part of the Imperium.

All in all, an interesting chapter, even before my affection for loyalists dragged out of the past and thrown into the present. I think I'll be humming 'We're the Warriors of Ultramar! Protectors of Five Hundred Stars!' for longer than I thought.

Words have power, use them well.

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,188 posts

Thanks for your comments and observations Brother Knight..... I feel like you've been reading my notesmsn-wink.gif...... eek.gif You haven't, right??

Quite right, they ARE Ultramarines! While on his relentless search for survivors of Fleet Praetor, Bellerophon answers any and all calls for aid and smites the enemies of humanity at every opportunity. As far as he's concerned, his fleet was never recalled and he continues to operate under the guidelines of his original orders. Being an Ultramarine means that he's practical as well. While traversing the galactic fringes, he establishes alliances with Rogue Traders, Imperial colonies and Forge worlds (many who value their relative autonomy) thus developing important logistical support chains. In return he can offer protection of the likes many of these traders and worlds may never have known. They will be more than happy to help protect the anonymity of the fleet.....

Still, rumors and legends abound about a mysterious ancient Astartes fleet seen beyond the fringes of established Imperial space, dealing death to the Xeno and Heretic, and protecting loyal Imperial and Mechanicus colonies in the far frontiers. Naturally, the Inquisition is aware of these rumors, so when they get wind of Bellerophon's presence on Macragge, they put two and two together.

As part of the Praetorian Sword timeline they will have made bolter and chainsword contact with one or more Genestealer Cult(s) and realize that they are a portent to a much greater Xeno threat. They will have also have made contact with at least one isolated Tyranid craft, so by the time Fleet Behemoth rears it's ugly head the Praetorians will have an inkling of what they are about and be able to develop a workable strategy to deal with them.

You make a good point about the Inquisition not being monolithic. Relations with Ordo Hereticus will remain strained for a long time, but there will be Inquisitors of that Ordo that Bellerophon will work with. Also, working relations with Ordos Malius and Xenos will be quite good (although Bellerophon doesn't trust these guys eitherdry.png).

I also thought that given the fight with the Tyranids was barely over, a checkmate move by Calgar against the Inquisition forces was not unrealistic. Many Primogenitor forces would still be in theater and able to answer a call for aid at short notice.

……. I've run out of  time today (gotta go to work) so I'll continue my ramblings tomorrow.

Fury and Firebiggrin.png

Edited by Brother Lunkhead, 10 August 2019 - 07:18 PM.

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,188 posts

I'm back...…. 

I'm sure Bellerophon and his boys will have the same cordial relations with the Ecclesiarchy as Guilliman doesyes.gif no.gif I'm sure the Praetors are pretty horrified by how entrenched the deification of the Emperor is in M41. But, it's too well intrenched for them to do or say anything about it, so they don't go out of their way to antagonize the Ecclesiarchy. At the same time they won't broach any interference or attempts by the Ecclesiarchy to use them to their own ends.

At the start of the 13th Black Crusade and the cleaving of the galaxy in half, the Praetorian Sword was campaigning against Drukhari pirate clans in the northen galactic fringes. They too are now making due in Imperium Nihilus.

It is in this backdrop that Bellerophon is finally united with his Primarch. When Baal calls out for aid against Hive Fleet Leviathan, the Praetorian Sword answers the call. They are very far away and arrive to battle both Leviathan and the daemonic forces of Ka'Bandha. It is in the aftermath of this conflict that Guilliman and Bellerophon briefly meet. Guilliman officially ends the mission of Retribution Fleet Praetor and gives Bellerophon new orders.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

At this time I was planning to present my force organization chart for the Praetorian Sword. However, with the announcement of the new Codex: Space Marines and the Ultramarine supplement, I'm going to hold off until I've had a chance to read them and see what changes have been made. I'm especially interested to see how the Primaris look fully integrated into the chapters. I may make sweeping changes, or I may stick with what I have, or do something in the middleunsure.png Hard to tell.

In the mean time I'll post some of my ideas of what a fleet based chapter looks like, as well as snippets of some short stories I'm working on. I'll also show how the Praetorians react to being reluctant "owners" of a massive slave population.

Lots to do, lots to dosweat.gif . 

Fury and Firebiggrin.png  

Edited by Brother Lunkhead, 11 August 2019 - 06:23 PM.

Knight of the Raven

Knight of the Raven

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,685 posts

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the answers.

Thanks for your comments and observations Brother Knight..... I feel like you've been reading my notesmsn-wink.gif...... eek.gif You haven't, right??

You're welcome, and I can neither confirm nor deny that. By the way, you forgot to clear your browser history.

As I mentioned, this all makes sense. Bellerophon is making his own, small Imperium Secundus here, in the sense that he's been thrown out of all and any contacts with his hierarchy, into a galaxy he doesn't recognize anymore. What else is there for him to do but follow his initial directive, especially that there are still humans to protect out there?

However, I wrote "as they look for each other" rather than 'as Bellerophon looks for them' for a reason. I realize he's the focus of this homebrew, and I'm not asking you to derail the entire story with unnecessary tales of the other survivors, but I feel the other scattered fleets should have some agency; which isn't what "while on his relentless search for survivors of Fleet Praetor, Bellerophon answers any and all calls for aid" makes me think.

Still, I think I can forgive the Inquisition for getting suspicious. There is an Alpha Legion out there, after all. I wouldn't put it past them to pull a ridiculously long con, pretending to be survivors from the Great Crusade as they build up their little empire.

Speaking of the Inquisition, thanks to one of these strokes of timing as only Fate can pull off, I just so happened to be reading Index Astartes: Rogue Sons a few weeks ago. Since it described the how and why a chapter can turn renegade, it also delved into the Inquisition itself. And it is indeed the Ordo Hereticus that will have the biggest bone to pick with Retribution Fleet Praetor.

A chapter attracts the Ordo Malleus' attention if chaotic taint is suspected; alien influence means the Ordo Xenos. The Ordo Hereticus deals with "doctrinal heresy..." and just what is more heretical than what the Emperor himself really wanted for humanity? The Imperial Truth is the biggest nightmare the Ordo Hereticus can imagine, regardless of which sect they belong to, whether they want the Ecclesiarchy dead or not, because it can utterly annihilate the Imperium.

(Well, in theory at least. Things seem okay now with Guilliman around.)

The article also mentions finding evidence of heresy is nearly impossible since even thoroughly loyal chapters look down upon "prying outsiders." And that the only way to get forces arrayed against a rebel/about-to-rebel chapter often is to petition the masters of other chapters. This is the Ultramarines we're talking about here, so good luck with that, Missus Picious of the Ordo Hereticus... especially that most chapters are closer to the Imperial Truth end of the scale than to the Imperial Creed one.

Bellerophon is right not to trust anyone who 'only answers to the Emperor.' That said, I suspect the Ordos Malleus and Xenos themselves could be quite warm to these five new chapters (once they're certain they can be trusted, at least). They ought to have precious knowledge about aliens in general from the Great Crusade and Chaos in particular from the Horus Heresy. They just might know some things the Ruinous Powers, the daemon primarchs or the Legions were very glad the Imperium had forgotten.

On the subject of xenos, though, I'd suggest against the retribution fleet realizing the genestealers are the harbingers of a bigger threat. As far as I can tell, nobody in the Imperium realized the tyranids were about to attack. Bellerophon and his kindred already felt 'special snowflake' enough with the showdown against the Inquisition, no matter how much the context made sense. Being the only one aware of the incoming hive fleets, even if it's only "an inkling," may be too much. Even if, again, the context helps, what with being stuck in the Eastern Fringe.

Finally;

I'll also show how the Praetorians react to being reluctant "owners" of a massive slave population.

I'm not sure there's such a thing as a 'reluctant slave owner' anywhere in the Imperium. Outside of alternate heresy World Eaters.

Words have power, use them well.

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,188 posts

Thanks for the response Brother Knight.....No worries on the delay. We all have other stuff to doyes.gif

You're welcome, and I can neither confirm nor deny that. By the way, you forgot to clear your browser history.

Arrrrghfacepalm.png ....I hate it when I do that.......eek.gif uhoh....

As I mentioned, this all makes sense. Bellerophon is making his own, small Imperium Secundus here, in the sense that he's been thrown out of all and any contacts with his hierarchy, into a galaxy he doesn't recognize anymore. What else is there for him to do but follow his initial directive, especially that there are still humans to protect out there?

However, I wrote "as they look for each other" rather than 'as Bellerophon looks for them' for a reason. I realize he's the focus of this homebrew, and I'm not asking you to derail the entire story with unnecessary tales of the other survivors, but I feel the other scattered fleets should have some agency; which isn't what "while on his relentless search for survivors of Fleet Praetor, Bellerophon answers any and all calls for aid" makes me think.

However much I hate even the title "Imperium Secundus" much less the idea, that is fundamentally what he is doing. He's consolidating his forces and acting on his original orders and staying incommunicado with the "current" Imperium until he can get his bearings. 

".....as they look for each other"..... Quite right. All concerned parties would be actively searching and calling out as their resources allow. I have story ideas for this alone to keep me busy writing for several years. However, this part of the story is from Bellerophon's point of view.

Still, I think I can forgive the Inquisition for getting suspicious. There is an Alpha Legion out there, after all. I wouldn't put it past them to pull a ridiculously long con, pretending to be survivors from the Great Crusade as they build up their little empire.

Yup...... I could see the AL pulling something like this. However, Bellerophon is not a forgiving sortfurious.gif I drew inspiration for Chapter Master B's personality extensively from Gabriel Seth of the Flesh Tearers. Like Seth,he has a strong sense of honor, intense loyalty to his chapter, and a few secrets to keep, all wrapped up in a very bad temper.

Speaking of the Inquisition, thanks to one of these strokes of timing as only Fate can pull off, I just so happened to be reading Index Astartes: Rogue Sons a few weeks ago. Since it described the how and why a chapter can turn renegade, it also delved into the Inquisition itself. And it is indeed the Ordo Hereticus that will have the biggest bone to pick with Retribution Fleet Praetor.

Thanks for the reference. I'll have to take a look at that. I drew a lot of similar view from Know Thyself, The Soul Drinkers Omnibus, and information on the First War for Armagedon.

On the subject of xenos, though, I'd suggest against the retribution fleet realizing the genestealers are the harbingers of a bigger threat. As far as I can tell, "nobody in the Imperium'' realized the tyranids were about to attack. Bellerophon and his kindred already felt 'special snowflake' enough with the showdown against the Inquisition, no matter how much the context made sense. Being the only one aware of the incoming hive fleets, even if it's only "an inkling," may be too much. Even if, again, the context helps, what with being stuck in the Eastern Fringe.

This idea came from reading Ian Watson's Inquisition Wars. At this time I had no knowledge of the Tyranid association with genestealer cults, but I did have some knowledge of Invasion Strategy (war planning days in the Air Force). Sewing chaos is a standard tactic in softening up an enemy for invasion. I just put two and two together. Bellerophon is probably not the only Chapter Master to have this suspicion. Contact with Tyrannic bio-forms were noted as far back as M35. But even if he makes contact with a Tyranid scout ship, I don't think Bellerophon will have a clue to the actual size of the threat. He will just see a prelude to invasion by some Xeno abomination. In any event, this is all background info that in all likelyhood won't make it in my timeline of events.

This whole article is very much a diary for me as I put together the IA for the Praetorian Sword, so it will inevitably contain a lot more info than will appear in the final draft.

I'll also show how the Praetorians react to being reluctant "owners" of a massive slave population.

I'm not sure there's such a thing as a 'reluctant slave owner' anywhere in the Imperium. Outside of alternate heresy World Eaters.

From the research I've done, it seems that Ultramar society does not have a slave class like the Greeks, Romans, or even pre-1866 United Statesblush.png 

It's suggested, although not stated outright that they may have a bondsman class. This would be a form of indentured servitude for a finite amount of time. So, I don't think Bellerophon and the other Praetor Chapter Masters are going to be too excited with being permanently responsible for millions if not tens of millions of "standard" human slaves. The Inquisition probably sees this as an opportunity to reign in the new chapters and infiltrate them.... and if the Praetor Chapters slip up and some of their slaves escape, the Inquisition can come down on them and liquidate the population and censure the chapters. The Praetors will have other ideas of course, and this is where the Hebraic Codes for the treatment of slaves and bond-servants comes in, along with taking advantage of practical logistics. All of this will be covered in later posts.

Thanks again for your input. It is all very helpful.

Fury and Firebiggrin.png 

Edited by Brother Lunkhead, 21 August 2019 - 01:28 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Praetorian Sword, DIY space marines, DIY astartes, DIY chapter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users