Guard in Apocalypse

sairence

So I wanted to kick off a little discussion about our army in the new Apocalypse, now that we have the datasheets.

Overall, I'm reasonably happy. :)

They really seem to have stuck to it when they said everything is getting rules, we even have Last Chancers and Mukkali Riders as available datasheets. ^^

Beyond that, I got the impression that the focus is definitely on armoured units. The way vehicle squadrons work is the same as regular 40k, meaning you get up to three individual units for each detachment slot. Great for messing up the opponents targetting priorities. Also, the options for tank weapons are a lot more detailed than for infantry. We get all the different sponson and turret options, whereas Special Weapon squads get generic "Special Weapons" or Sniper rifles as their only choices. Also, no special weapons on any other infantry, jusy heavy weapons.

Same with Scions, no special weapons, but Hot Shot Lasguns seen to have a pretty juicy stat-line.

They also have made an effort to distinguish some of the tank turret options. There's a notable difference between the regular Battlecannon (stronger but less shots) and the Conqueror Cannon. Also, the Vanquisher finally has good stats!

I'm pretty excited about this personally...I have 15 Russes to finish and put ob a Battlefield. ^^

Edited by sairence

From my previous experience armour is what Apoc is all about anyway, never mind with Guard :P I'm curious with the simplified rules, Epic style, as that should make games smoother as the play time/effort was always the biggest problem with Apoc. It'll definitely make infantry easier to use which is good as it'd be nice for them to be more than vanishing walls (regardless of army...).

I'll need to read more, but it sounds interesting. Apoc is where Guard should shine as it's war on the Guard's scale ;)

It will certainly be interesting to reach the maximum range of things like the Bombard (240") and Manticore (120") for once!

Some of the weapons don't seem to do enough damage to the right things, the Bombard for instance damages infantry and vehicles on the same dice roll which is odd considering it is very effective against infantry in 40k but only vaguely effective against vehicles. 

I purchased some tickets to the "biggest apocalypse game ever" at Warhammer World so that will hopefully give me a good idea of how effective everything is as I will need to bring my entire army to meet the 200 models requirement!

Yes that event looks amazing.

Old apocalypse, I don’t think I ever really bothered with infantry. They never really survived to get in range, let alone achieve anything. I think it looks like they intended to change the utility this time around and make infantry more worthwhile but I still think it’s likely to work out as the game of heavyweight units. That’s cool; I mean you wouldn’t want to send a light infantry platoon into a full on tank battle unless it was some sort of hive environment anyway, let alone sending them to face titans etc. No matter how brave, there’s really only so much the standard issue flashlight wielder can contribute.

Normally I don't have an interest in apoc but this new edition looks like fun

What rules does the vanquisher have? I wish the 40k deathstrike rules were more aligned with the apoc ones!

Lucky u ldorte have fun and take pics!

The standard condex Vanquisher in Apoc gets 2 attacks, wounds personnel on a 10+ and vehicles on a 4+ on a D12. With grinding advance that's 4 attacks a turn. Since only superheavies tend to have significantly more than 2 wounds it should do well against vehicles.

Compare that the Battlecannon which is 6+ against both with 1 attack for example. Some of the FW Vanquishers have slightly different stats for sone reason.

Edited by sairence

With 2 shots the effectiveness of the Vanquisher is like the Batllecannon one.

The Vanquisher has little less chance (43.7% vs 50%) to make a wound on infantry buy it has the advantage that it could make 2 wounds, even if unlikely (12.5%).

All this without taking in count grinding advance.