Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need help with 1000 point list

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Painter2Player

Painter2Player

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2 posts
Hey all,

Long term lurker, first time poster. I've been primarily a painter since I was a kid but recently wanted to get into the gaming side, spurred on by watching some of Mordian Glory's videos. I have a fair amount of Astra Militarum Cadian models painted, but just need some guidance on building a 1000 point list with a 2000 point goal list to play casually. This is what I own so far:

HQ
Creed
Yarrick
2 x Company Commander
1 x Lord Commissar
1 x Tempestor Prime

Troops
6 x 10 man Infantry Squad (Srgt: boltgun/laspistol/chainsword, Guardsman:all weapon options except HB/flamer/MG/mortar)
1 x 5 man Tempestor Scion squad (2 plasma)

Elite
2 x Techpriest
1 x Commissar
1 x 10 man Veteran Squad (Srgt: boltgun/laspistol/chainsword, Guardsman:all weapon options except HB/flamer/MG/mortar)

Heavy Support
3 x Leman Russ Battle Tank (all weapon options/one modelled as a tank commander)
1 x Leman Russ Punisher/Executioner/Demolisher (all weapon options)
3 x Mortar squads

Fast Attack
1 x 5 man Rough Riders squad (2 plasmaguns)
3 x Sentinel (all weapon options)
1 x Valkyrie (missile pods/lasgun/multilaser options)

Have another 20 guardsman being built next; I'd like to get some Bullgryns and model a Pask Leman Russ some point soon too.

• duz_ likes this

sairence

sairence

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 326 posts
You definitely have enough to make a nice, crisp 1k brigade. That's kind of the standard detachment for us, unless you have specific things in mind.

I would start simple, with not too many special characters in the same list...so maybe bring just Yarrick and the two CCs or just Creed and them until you get used to the lot.

Your troop section is well covered with the Guardsmen. I personally don't use special or heavy weapons on them most of the time, but that's just me. I would recommend not mixing too much different stuff in until you get used to things, same as with the HQs. Just makes things easier to graps.

Your elite section is also good with Veterans, Commissar and Techpriest if you bring your tanks. Note, you can also use Guardsmen in Special Weapon teams. They or your Veterans could be put in the Valkyrie.

Fast attack...3 Sentinels fills that well, Rough Riders are good for a laugh. Note that the Valkyrie has the Flyer-role, it's not a Fast Attack choice.

Heavy Support you also have a good basis. Mortars are cheap and cheerful, Russes are just good. If you have points spare, you can run those as Tank Commanders just as easily.

So you have everything you need to start out with. Specific loadouts on your units is always tricky to say, because it all depends on what you want to do with them, which regiment you're running etc.

Speaking of regiments, I would play a few games with any that interest you, just to find which feels best to you. I started 8th running pure Cadians, then moved to Catachans for my tanks, ran Scion battalions and am currently very firmly in the Tallarn camp. :)
  • BIG ROB OF DEATH likes this
gallery_30308_9518_8251.png

Wassa

Wassa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 528 posts
  • Faction: Astra Militarum, Blood Angels

You can magnetise the Leman Russes so that there is a flat base just under the hatch opening with a magnet on it. Then you can put a magnet on the hatch, and on a normal tank commander or on Pask and switch between them :).

As a base for 1000 points go I generally bring 2 Batallions:

- 2 Company Commands & 3 Infantry Squads (with a plasma gun each)

- Creed and a Tank Commander & 3 Infantry Squads (with a plasma gun each)

That gives you 3+5+5+2 =15CP already and you still have 400+ points to fill with tanks, artillery, mortar squads, bullgryns, or whatever you fancy.

Normally I pile on the tanks/artillery at this point in maybe a Spearhead detachment. I don't tend to use fast attack or elites much.

With Creed your positioning is very important. Look up Creed Firebase on youtube. 

For 2000 points I find the Cadians need to move too much to get the reroll 1 bonus, and you have too many guns for Overlapping Fields of Fire on a single target, unless it's a primarch.

So I normally mix in Catachans which run up the front (and die), but benefit more from Hellhounds, Flamers,  and Manticores. The Cadians hold the rear, deny deep strike, barely move, and so each squad usually packs a heavy weapon to be useful.

• duz_ and BIG ROB OF DEATH like this

gallery_30308_9518_8251.png

HallofStovokor

HallofStovokor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 426 posts
I'd probably get some indirect fire support. Mortars are great, but the basilisk is king. They hit like a truck and can out range every other gun. Yes, this includes weapons on a Warlord Titan. The only downside to the basilisk is that it is T6. So autocannons are actually a legitimate threat to the thing.

Pask is fun against someone who doesn't know what he can do, but most people will kill him before he can shoot. He also costs significantly more than a tank commander, killing him can take out nearly 1/8 of your total points.

Creed is legitimately awesome. He gives you 2 additional CP, has 3 orders and must take Superior Tactical Training (on a 4+ friendly units within 6" get whatever order he issued to another unit) as his warlord trait. His voice of command ability is 12", not just 6", so he doesn't need a voxcaster to reach far away units.

A Tech-priest will keep your tank commander alive longer. Yarrick and a lord commissar are the only useful commissars. Sentinels are cheap fast attack. Autocannons are great on them, but flamers are also good choices too. Valkyries got a huge nerf so don't expect them to ferry bullgryns for a turn 1 charge.

As a general rule each regiment is best at certain things

Catachan (melee, tanks, artillery)
Cadian (shooting, tanks, artillery)
Tallarn (movement, tanks)
Valhalla (survivability, tanks)
Vostroyan (range)
Steel legion (transports, rapid fire)
Mordian (used to be heavy weapons teams, now nothing)
Scions (deepstrike)
  • BIG ROB OF DEATH likes this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,731 posts

Welcome P2P!

Looks like you've found the list section well and are being pointed in the right direction! :tu:

You mention you're a painter.... got pics? :D

Feel free to open up a WiP thread in the main barracks to detail your exploits and share your learnings! :tu:

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

++ EXEMPLUM CONVECTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,211 posts
  • Faction: 32nd Firedrakes
I agree with the advice above. I cant think of anything else to add apart from have fun! Don't worry about trying crazy ideas out in the guard, everything is so cheap we can afford to have a few toys with the boys and still be competitive.

P.s. I echo Duz! Pics would be awesome (also the discussion board gets more traffic anyway so having a WIP there would let more people see it)
  • duz_ likes this

Painter2Player

Painter2Player

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2 posts

Wicked! This is great advice - thanks all! Will attempt to put together a list together when i get a spare mo (and some photos!)

• duz_ and Halfpint100 like this

BIG ROB OF DEATH

BIG ROB OF DEATH

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 94 posts

I'm not much of an AM veteran, having much more experience playing SMs, Eldar, Grey Knights and Tyranids, but it seemed to me that at smaller points levels (like 1000 as you are interested in starting at) lots of troops with assorted heavy and special weapons does pretty well, especially mortars. At higher levels is when big vehicles, artillery, etc really start to bear. Thats been my experience anyway. As the battlefield gets more crowded at higher points levels, you want resiliency as well as concentrated firepower each turn. Make a great core of infantry, and then add long range artillery, big tanks, maybe some flyers (i don't, but many do), psykers, and ogryn/bullgryn units (again, I don't but many do), tech priests, etc, etc. At larger levels you will have to consider soup and regimental doctrines more seriously, and do pre-battle planning to maximize CPs, anticipate best/most useful strategems, psychic powers, etc. Yeah, for me anyway, it gets quite a bit more complex at larger points levels, but above all else I like to make a fun, aggressive, complex army that isn't classic meta. I hope you find your own style and composition. Oh yeah, I hate Knights and will never use them, but many do! To each his/her own. Good Hunting!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users