Gauging interest for a new Black Crusade game

Noctus Cornix

Good grief decisions....

First off, I a pm voting AGAINST Alpha Legion.

I like the idea of exploring how those massive Legions work, then fracture into Warbands and what it will do to the brothers and such. Which is hard to get across on an already apparently hughly compartmented Legion. I would also like to keep the mystery intact.

A cell of AL is probably most fun in a 40 k setting, where everyone in a way may or may not be true to the original ideas and plans and no one can reallcall out what is or was the great plan, if any. In my humble view, after 10 000 years of Warp corruption, warp travel, rumors, lies, need to know, misdirection and misunderstanding, coupled with the occasional mind wipe, every Legionary is in a way, the Alpha Legion and a head of the Hydra on his own.

So, no "inside view" at a mostly intact Legion for me.

So, Legions..

If pushed I go for the polytheistic Legions first:

Night Lords

Word Bearers

Sons of Horus

Though there is something refreshing about the Death Guard.

And an almost instant solution if I can't find posting time when portraying the World Eaters...

I can just post a couple of muscle spasms, yell "Blood for the Blood God" and chaaaaarge....

Huh, neat... as of right now the counts are:

Night Lords: 5 6

Sons of Horus: 3 4

Alpha Legion: 3

Iron Warriors: 2 3

World Eaters: 2

Death Guard: 1

Thousand Sons: 1

Word Bearers: 1

I wonder how the votes will look after the weekend...

Edited by Steel Company

You know, as a die-hard Word Bearer player. The lack of love for my legion is a little disquieting... :tongue.:

Because whilst nobody trusts anybody else, everyone doesn't trust them :tongue.: (yes, that is grammatically horrendous).

*SNIP Though there is something refreshing about the Death Guard. SNIP*

There is nothing refreshing about the Death Guard! :biggrin.:

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

For me, the challenge to Word Bearers is certainly portraying that uttterly insane unshakeable faith thing.

But I can get my head into that vision of Lorgar that mankind must achieve some kind of ascension / symbiosis with the warp or face utter extinction. Sort of a forced religious transhumanism do or die scenario.

But it looks like I am going to brush up my Nostaman after all.

In the end, it's the GM's call if he wants to run a campaign around a bunch of selfish, homicidal bastards. Also that could be used to describe most D&D parties, so...

In the end, it's the GM's call if he wants to run a campaign around a bunch of selfish, homicidal bastards. Also that could be used to describe most D&D parties, so...

Buddy, I used to be a die-hard Night Lords fan for many years before I took the arterial red and abyssal black of the true faith. 

For the simple sake of professing my own preferences, starting from my favorites...

Word Bearers (I have the most familiarity with them of any legion and I honestly believe they have the best story)

Night Lords (Also incredibly fun and helps bring in a lot of horror elements that I adore)

Iron Warriors (Who doesn't love nightmarish attrition warfare?)

Sons of Horus (Because they're awesome, and it would be fun to watch you all mentally snap like twigs when Horus dies)

Now I was getting into the flow of us being Night Lords then you went and posted that about the Sons of Horus. Now I am conflicted.

Glad you are in charge of this and not me, liking all the Legions is a curse sometimes.

Hmm, now I am also having second thoughts.

A Sons of Horus Forsaken, an outcast because he's on the Infiltration and Recon group, not a True Son of Horus because his eyes aren't three cubits apart...loyal to the Legion, believes in the Warmaster, understands that instead of "Why?" Horus has said "Why Not?"

MR.

Well, after giving it some time for everyone to vote, looks like Night Lords are the winners. Can't say I'm surprised, though I'm not disappointed either. 

Before we proceed, I want to present a second option that came to my mind not long ago. This is in a similar vein to the Legion-style story where we all begin in the Horus Heresy and moving forward. Another idea that popped into my head... What about the Badab War? In this story, you guys would be able to experience events leading up to and during the Badab War itself before those who survive will flee with the Tyrant into the Maelstrom to transition the story into being Red Corsairs. Astral Claws in particular are one of my favorite Chapters in general, but I could see potential of maybe involving some Lamentors or Mantis Warriors. Either way, just wanted to pass the idea onto you guys and see if that interested you more than the Legion concept.

Well, that has my spare time covered for next ten years or so :p

After thinking about this over the weekend, NL seem a bit of a lazy choice storywise to me... they are already a bunch of Self serving bastards be Istvaan, their Primarch is a brooding, distant figure and they only pay lipservice to anything other than themselves at any rate (that is a broad generalization, I admit).

Having a bit trouble at seeing the character developments over ten thousand years there.

Or maybe I just need to challenge myself more st the concept stage....