Gauging interest for a new Black Crusade game

Noctus Cornix

I wouldn't say that the Night Lords lack the character development of other Legions but rather that they undergo it a little sooner than the other Legions. The gradual change from vengeful seekers of justice to bloody murderers happens pre-Heresy, where you get the differences between the likes of Sevetar's First Company and Kheron Ophion with those such as the Painted Count and his recruits.The Legion's effective dissolution occurs after the Thramas Crusade where Curze and Sevetar go MIA.  After that you have the rise to power of Skraivok and his endorsement of Daemonic power, his attempts to reform the Legion and later how members of the Legion react to Curze's death.

Also First Claw were all Night Lords (shocking I know right?) but they were all completly different personalities, Talos had higher ideals (despite him saying the contrary) Cyrion was.... strange, Uzas was.... Uzas, Xarl was badass and Mercutian was dour but loyal to Talos.

Solid points.

Maybe I am just stuck on my "paved with good intentions " routine / excuse here when pondering a character concept. No Fors Remain and Slips have basically brought the more challenging aspect of playing Night Lords to a finer point... the interesting point here is to see what we can come up with personality wise.

For a Night Lord, I'm toying with the idea of the reluctant traitor, falling because his closest friends and brothers fell. Thinking that he chose to follow them, to try and stop them from totally losing themselves in thrall to the Dark Gods, yet over time finds that he is the one that has become in thralled to the Dark Gods and will try to work his way back to a place of balance, knowing that redemption will for ever be out of his reach.

I know I've done it the other way, using BC skills and talents for DW...

It makes melee monsters (like Tyber in the current PBP DW game) stupidly powerful when they get Lightning attack with two weapon fighting, but by the same token it makes parry really good too

Yeah, to be honest I do agree that Night Lords can kind of defeat the purpose, but it depends on the kind of characters created. Yeah, some of the Night Lords were quite self-serving lunatics, but I think a lot of more recent stuff has kind of muddled that many Night Lords still believed in what they were doing. Did all of them? No. But I myself still imagine that quite a great deal of the Legion justified their depravity under the false belief of Justice and have drowned in their gene-father's insanity. Just because they come from a legion of killers doesn't mean that there isn't a sense of tragedy to their nature, much like the World Eaters in Betrayer.

Everyone wants the snarky Night Lord with the witty personality that doesn't give a rat's ass about anything because it's fun, but it tends to overlook that there is something there. They're still Astartes. They're still brothers. They're still sons of Curze and Nostramo. They're still the holders of the Great Crusade and the Emperor's ideals, even as tenuous a tie that might be.

At least during the span of the Great Crusade and the Scouring. After that it's every man for himself.

Edited by Noctus Cornix

• 2 weeks later...

-pokes head in-

Heeeeeey. So I saw this thread when I was at work, and I've also got to say, I'm interested. I've done play-by-post games.... kind of. My Pathfinder group sometimes does them if we're unable to all meet up for our agreed-upon time.

However, I now nothing about the mechanics of the Warhammer RPG games.

Though, I do think a Traitor Legion game set during the Heresy sounds fun. Especially Night Lords.

So, I'm also interested in this.

Edited by Gederas

Welcome  victim  er, Truthseeker!

Don't fret about the FFG rules, we can all help you with those, I think our GM is going to run it crunch-light anyway, so you should drop right in to the murderous heathens that will make up the cast and crew of the Black Crusade :)

We hope you will...enjoy?  Investing your time...

;)

MR.

Welcome  victim  er, Truthseeker!

Don't fret about the FFG rules, we can all help you with those, I think our GM is going to run it crunch-light anyway, so you should drop right in to the murderous heathens that will make up the cast and crew of the Black Crusade :smile.:

We hope you will...enjoy?  Investing your time...

:wink:

MR.

I mean, I think one or both of my local Barnes & Noble still has copies of Black Crusade.....

But yes, it's been too long since I've RP'd a villain protagonist and not a villain for a campaign :lol:

And if this is Horus Heresy..... Dibs on a Volkite :lol:

• 1 year later...

Hi! I’d be interested as well. I see some familiar faces here from a PbP deathwatch game. Might be fun to explore the dark side so to speak.

Edit I somehow didn’t see this thread was started a long time ago so if you don’t have any spots no big deal.

Edited by adesro18

While that thread might be old these three are from this year. While none of them have kicked of yet, and the three potential GMs are currently in a game of Deathwatch that doesn’t mean that these are dead ( I certainly still intent to go forward with mine). Have a look and post your interest.

[OW] Narrative Campaign Discussion and Sign up

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/368659-ow-narrative-campaign-discussion-and-sign-up/

DH: A Future, Severed - Discussion/Recruitment

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/368678-dh-a-future-severed-discussionrecruitment/page-2

Archeotech - a narrative game concept and recruitment

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/368668-archeotech-a-narrative-game-concept-and-recruitment/

There have been some fantastic Black Library series regarding traitor warbands - two that stick with me are the Night Lords trilogy by AD-B and Lords of Silence by Chris Wraight, which did a great job of exploring a Death Guard warband.

Black Crusade has scope to go all the way from a pathetic bunch of cultists to a full Traitor Astartes killfest.

The issue we have here in our sub-forum is a lack of GMs - if you're interested in running a game, put yourself forward!

There have been some fantastic Black Library series regarding traitor warbands - two that stick with me are the Night Lords trilogy by AD-B and Lords of Silence by Chris Wraight, which did a great job of exploring a Death Guard warband.

Black Crusade has scope to go all the way from a pathetic bunch of cultists to a full Traitor Astartes killfest.

The issue we have here in our sub-forum is a lack of GMs - if you're interested in running a game, put yourself forward!

I know I had to drop this plan way back due to life complications, but I started considering maybe picking it back up. I've had a lot concepts about Chaos mulling around in my skull as of late, and I'd really like for a venue to explore them. I think I still might hold off for a little  bit to just ensure that I can reasonably commit to it and continue to post in the Blackthorn RP, but I certainly am interested...

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like a lot of fun, although I think in some ways it feels harder to justify the range of characters from the different Legions? Deathwatch obviously works for loyalists but it seems (to me anyway) less likely in the Chaos fluff that you'd put together a composite unit?

That said, maybe a Red Corsairs type group could have more varying backgrounds?

Edit: Actually, if I knew what I was doing I'd definitely run an Iron Gods based story/game. (Personal plug, see link to IT: Iron Gods below if you don't know who/what they are and you'd like to!) But a motley crew of pirates raiding into the Imperium would, I hope, be a great setting for telling some stories and creating some characters!

Ah well, maybe one day once I know a bit more about the gaming side of things...

Boiling Black Crusade down, it can be a kind of Deathwatch for the Bad Guys, with a few kinks and twists (pun intended).

I once ran an introductory session with a Night Lord, an Emperor's Children, a Khorne Axeman and a Plague Marine.  The inter-party dynamic was fun and everyone got a chance to shine. When you add humans into the mix it gets odd, and if you're not careful they get outclassed - but in interactions and roleplay with other civvies, the mortals come out on top.

EDIT: It's actually not a bad step away from Deathwatch, as it uses Horde mechanics and stuff, so is actually very familiar.

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Ok well looks like this thread is gaining some activity so I’d like to throw my hat into it as well. If anyone is interested in running a game I’d be up for it. I’m not very confident yet running a pbp game myself. Perhaps in some time as I gain experience but I think I’d be up for playing. Maybe give me enough time in the dw pbp and I could run some black crusade. Although depending how patient everyone is and if I could get some veteran support I might be convinced to run a trial game. Edited by adesro18

Ok well looks like this thread is gaining some activity so I’d like to throw my hat into it as well. If anyone is interested in running a game I’d be up for it. I’m not very confident yet running a pbp game myself. Perhaps in some time as I gain experience but I think I’d be up for playing. Maybe give me enough time in the dw pbp and I could run some black crusade. Although depending how patient everyone is and if I could get some veteran support I might be convinced to run a trial game.

As I've said before: You don't have to be perfect to start, but you have to start if you want to become perfect.

Our board needs new GMs and if you're comfortable with the Black Crusade rules-set, then give it a go!

My advice would be to start small - it's perfectly possible to run a game with three or four players that runs for a short time and then could be expanded if necessary.

Black Crusade also has a couple of beginning scenarios you could explore - there's Broken Chains, Binding Contracts and False Prophets from the Core Rulebook.

I know that Broken Chains comes with six pre-generated characters (three Astartes, three mortal) which you could use if you wanted.