Dreadmad's Tale of 4 Gamers Thread

dreadmad

Doing Tzeench for a Tale of 4 Gamers so I figured I may as well document my progress.

26/07/2019 Progress

07JP7eF.jpg

Starting with some test schemes for my Allied Daemons

Pink Horror

T1jMtKS.jpg

9lTpko8.jpg

Flamer of Tzeench

9xLpgNN.jpg

tAU2gtq.jpg

Brimstone Horror

rS89Rxc.jpg

With that out the way, here's some actual progress!

1vxW06h.jpg

My first models fully completed, an old school Chaos Dreadnought and 10 Pink Horrors

Dreadnought shots

Uq46Ou2.jpg

wn9TbAD.jpg

ueTlsV5.jpg

Edited by dreadmad

Thanks! I've broken free of the lure of the best soup faction Corpse Emperor. I'm going with pre-heresy TS, I have 20 MKIII marines on my desk to get around to starting. Not a big fan of the whole mutated chaos vibe for marines, so I'm looking at more of the older chaos models (e.g. the metal Chaos Dreadnought over the new Helbrute). Edited by dreadmad

• 2 weeks later...

I love what you're doing here and I'm admittedly a little jealous.

Can you estimate how long it takes you to finish a 10 man pink squad using the contrast paint system? 

I'm trying to think of ways to speed up my Tzaangors and/or expanding into Tzeentch Daemons. This just seems so much better than what I've been doing and the results are great. 

I love what you're doing here and I'm admittedly a little jealous.

Can you estimate how long it takes you to finish a 10 man pink squad using the contrast paint system?

I'm trying to think of ways to speed up my Tzaangors and/or expanding into Tzeentch Daemons. This just seems so much better than what I've been doing and the results are great.

Thanks man! I've been working away and playing video games instead of painting, however I'm getting to the end of the month so expect to see some more updates soon!

The contrast method is pretty fast; spray, 2 layers of contrast, paint all teeth/horns/claws Wraithbone & wash with Agrax, paint eyes Lothern, wash with the Nightshade and highlight barahoth & paint the jewelry to taste.

It probably takes me 3-4 hours including basing for 10, however I paint my metal in 3 stages - if you have a faster method that will really speed things up. As for Tzaangors I'm experimenting with bronze statues with Ver de Gris - I'll post results when I find something I'm happy with!

They look great all together, brings out the colour as is fitting for a Tzeentchian daemon horde! Nice work and at a good pace - what's next? :smile.:

I think you owe my wallet an apology however, as it feels like this was the last straw in making me plan to add some Tzeentch daemons to my collection... :sweat:

They look great all together, brings out the colour as is fitting for a Tzeentchian daemon horde! Nice work and at a good pace - what's next? :smile.:

I think you owe my wallet an apology however, as it feels like this was the last straw in making me plan to add some Tzeentch daemons to my collection... :sweat:

Hahah sorry! There's whispers on the wind that one of the players may be bringing a Chaos Knight at 1000 points - so I'm thinking Ahriman, a Daemon Prince and a whooooole load of Tzaangors. Otherwise I'm not sure, I may get the Ru-Brick up and running - or perhaps triple DP!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, today was actually pretty productive compared to the last couple of weeks. Not 100% happy with everything, but I think they're at a good tabletop quality that I can go back and finish up/weather the DP as I get chance.

Daemon Prince

lZsZ238.jpg

8xqFlpg.jpg

Test Tzaangor. As promised, bronzed statues. They have a real tabletop quality to them, I'm not 100% wild about them when they're up close - but as a unit at arms length they have a great look to them. Saved me hours painting them too, which is nice as I have another 25 to go.

tn8Culz.jpg

mdfVjVn.jpg

cEtpxBi.jpg

Bonus 24 waiting for their bases to dry

Waiting until I'm a little more awake to attach wings to my next DP. I'm going for a more Daemon themed model as this one will be part of a Daemon Detachment most likely.

HYEoppY.jpg

Alright, more progress!

My Terminator Sorcerer. I'm not sure why, but he doesn't feel quite finished - which is odd, as I normally have a pretty solid idea of how I want models to end up. Any suggestions are more than welcome!

8cXcjZU.jpg

The 25 man Tzaangor unit are finished up too, but I'll throw a picture of them up when I next get down to a store for some better background.

I agree with you - at least from the photo, he doesn't look finished.  For me (again, based on the photo) is there isn't enough definition to the white parts of the model - perhaps a wash of "the Fang" to his tabard and doing the recesses of the bolter (so, the inside grooves and corners where sides/edges of the bolter meet) with that paint as well?

Thanks! Yeah, it's a major time saver - Prime gold, drybrush silver, wash with the Snakebite Contrast and then just add the details.

I have 60 total to finish up, and I saw plenty of complaints about how hard they are to paint - this was the solution!

It's this model here with 2 of the 4 engines from a Darkshroud Landspeeder as the Jumppack.

Edited by dreadmad