Dreadmad's Tale of 4 Gamers Thread

dreadmad

Ok!

So, I've been trying various configurations of my list and got advice on my list but I can't come up with a mono-tzeentch list I like. Since I have to learn ITC, and only have a month and a half I've decided to go with something I know works - a variant of the ever popular Jim Vesal list.

I'll be playing a less effective version, I really want to run either a 20 man Ru-Brick or a 10 man Scarab Occult Terminator squad - even though I'm fully aware that just wholesale ripping his list would have better results.

With that said, here's my first Plaguebearer! The Call to Chaos came just at the right time, as I have plenty to get done by November 2nd.

0Gdalws.jpg

Hahha yes, he definitely is!

This was a Base pay of Mechanicus Standard Grey, heavy Zenithal of Wraithbone, drybrushed Yrail Yellow, PB flesh all over with Gryph-Hound orange in the exposed parts and a small amount of Iyandan Yellow in the skin folds. Teeth & Nails were just Snakebite Brown - I've got to say these Contrast paints have been such a game changer for me!

Very pleased with the effort > result ratio, although I need to work on the eyes for sure - I might experiment with glazing washes over a lighter colour to get a less jarring look.

Thanks for the input guys! That works well, as the rest of my Daemons all have Blue eyes - so it ties everything together a bit more.

Skin looks nice in particular agreed

Contrast again! I'm really loving messing around with Zenithal/pre-shading to make the most of Contrast.

Edited by dreadmad

He looks great - the blue eyes are really effective.  He does seem a bit out of place in the Thousand Suns forum, though. :)

How do you plan on magnetizing your cases?  Is there a reason the normal foam cases don't work?  I've found that my daemonettes are far too fragile and "grabby" (they have lots of little hooks and curls that catch onto the foam) - I've transported them in a metal toolbox with magnets (as shown in this post: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/356094-kadeths-handmaidens-dr-ruminahuis-slanneshi-host/?p=5389743).

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

He looks great - the blue eyes are really effective. He does seem a bit out of place in the Thousand Suns forum, though. :)

[/url]

That's a great point, is it possible to get this thread moved to a generic Chaos forum? I have mostly non&?-tzeentch projects on the cards for now I'm afraid!

R.e. magnets, plastic cases and rubber steel ferrous sheets - works a dream! I was finding foam wasn't cutting it with all the various odd shaped models in my list. I have a tall case and a short one that fit into my (large) backpack, so it's convenient for carrying!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok! It's been a while, progress is good.

First up, Tzeentch DP;

XjLs6qr.jpg

EJWMwWG.jpg

Then the Contorted Epitome. Such a fiddley model to paint, I blasted through this as fast as possible and really wasn't a fan.

SamcmQq.jpg

Then a Nurgle DP (without wings) for summoning purposes - a tech against all the sniper lists I expect to meet!

69AqAjg.jpg

And finally, a peak at my current WiP...

JAZ9wv7.jpg

Massive fan of what you’re doing here!

Your painting is so smooth and vibrant.

The Slaaneshi mirror thing, you said you didn’t enjoy it but it looks fantastic!

Excellent work all round.

That's very kind of you to say! I'm enjoying a break from Power Armour to paint something different, although I'll likely go back to marines in the new year. Hopefully CA19 brings some strong Chaos buffs to make Chaos PA armies attractive!

Ok, so no major progress to show - however I finally pulled my finger out and got some half decent pictures of my list together. It shouldn't have taken this long, since I pretty much live at WH World - but what are you going to do.

Need to finish off Ahriman and 30 PB's, and then work on the summoned stuff.

Characters

b8XXzEW.jpg

gsEX25d.jpg

2j0bnw1.jpg

Troops

wPPatUa.jpg

uUnhTe8.jpg

6SEmHFh.jpg

qSJ3gb1.jpg

Summons so far

NyzqKoe.jpg

l4021eN.jpg

20 horrors and 20 PB's to go for summoning too

Edited by dreadmad

Wow. I just love the Tzeentch stuff. I’m biased though. You’re using contrast paints for those horrors right?

Thanks! Yeah, pretty much everything in those pictures is contrast (not the red mechanical DP) aside from details. It takes 4 layers of Magos Purple with a little contrast medium to smooth it to get a solid colour I was happy with on the Horrors.

Just a small update, even though I'm excited to start my marine army (I already have the Invictor conversions planned out) I'm going to be sad that I can't just grab a random piece and decide to paint a way I enjoy as opposed to the conformity marines bring.

30 PB's on my desk 90% done too, alongside some more Pink Horrors. Tournament is in 9 days now, so nose to the grindstone!

kM8Fz38.jpg

Final paint update 30/10/2019

It's been fun, but the Chaos Train ends here I'm afraid. My list is fully painted for the Blood & Glory tournament - I might make a couple of small tweaks (base rim colours, tidying up here and there) but this is functionally it.

First of all, a picture of the full force - summons included - to get scope of the list.

fpkjAOg.jpg

HQ Glamour shots

VEZQcDo.jpg

DinqXsC.jpg

wgDryGj.jpg

cXSz9Tm.jpg

HBTboo3.jpg

PzyZRpW.jpg

x7f28gA.jpg

ugt9yuO.jpg

t4baxc1.jpg

Other daemons

zrLTKl2.jpg

wGhYg3S.jpg

qPNzVsi.jpg

BrWU7gJ.jpg

ovyGLv9.jpg

0XTeM7W.jpg

fJ574B0.jpg

09W4nRr.jpg

Objective markers

8fOhEle.jpg

For anyone curious, my list is here;

++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [27 PL, 1CP, 526pts] 

+ HQ +

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch [9 PL, 166pts]: Doombolt, Temporal Manipulation, Tzeentch's Firestorm

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch [9 PL, 180pts]: 6. High Magister, Bolt of Change, Death Hex, Helm of the Third Eye, Malefic talon, Warlord, Wings

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch [9 PL, 180pts]: Diabolic Strength, Infernal Gaze, Malefic talon, Wings

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Daemons) [34 PL, 8CP, 647pts] ++

Chaos Allegiance: Nurgle Detachment

+ HQ +

Poxbringer [4 PL, 70pts]: Miasma of Pestilence

Sloppity Bilepiper [3 PL, 60pts]

+ Troops +

Nurglings [3 PL, 54pts]: 3x Nurgling Swarms

Plaguebearers [12 PL, 235pts]: Daemonic Icon, Instrument of Chaos, 29x Plaguebearer, Plagueridden

Plaguebearers [12 PL, 228pts]: Daemonic Icon, Instrument of Chaos, 28x Plaguebearer, Plagueridden

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Daemons) [40 PL, 4CP, 670pts] ++ 

Chaos Allegiance: Chaos Undivided

Rewards of Chaos (1 Relic) [-1CP]

+ HQ + Daemon Prince of Chaos [9 PL, 180pts]: Daemonic axe, Khorne, Skullreaver, Wings

Fluxmaster [5 PL, 85pts]: Flickering Flames, Gaze of Fate

The Contorted Epitome [10 PL, 195pts]: Pavane of Slaanesh, Symphony of Pain

+ Troops +

Horrors [8 PL, 150pts]: Instrument of Chaos .

20x Pink Horror

Horrors [4 PL, 30pts]: 10x Pair of Brimstone Horrors

Horrors [4 PL, 30pts]: 10x Pair of Brimstone Horrors

++ Total: [101 PL, 13CP, 1,843pts] ++

This leaves 157 points for summoning, and gives me a few tricks to make sure I don't fall entirely flat against the marine menace.

A pity it wasn't sooner as I was was WHW a couple of weeks ago! Fantastic to see you army all together and at Holy Terra too - nicely done dread :thumbsup: Good luck and keep us updated on your progress :smile.:

Thanks! Well, it's my local - so feel free to drop me a line if you're back in the area!

Very nice!  Your demons look great, and its great to see an all daemon army.

157 points seems like an odd number for summoning - what units and sizes do you use that for?

Thanks! 157 lets me get another DP, or 20 PB's/Horrors. I have some Flamers for the Culexus Assassin/Mirror Match too

Blood and Glory Report; Plenty of Blood, hold the Glory.

I'll just get this out of the way, I didn't do well. I made a couple of key mistakes (the same one twice), and unfortunately that made a huge difference.

Game 1; Daniel

Game 1 was a Chaos mirror match, his list was Bash Bros (Magnus & Morty, Deathshroud Termis, Nurgle DP, Tzaangors, Ahriman, a Sorcerer, Lord Discordant, a Warpsmith and some Cultists).

Dan was great, we kept catching each other throughout the event and it was nice to have a game where I didn't have to explain what my list did!

I deployed centrally, but spread wide and Dan deployed centrally but hidden behind the LVO-esq dual L ruins in the centre of the board. I finished deploying first, and won the roll off.

I immediately pushed my checkerboarded PB's out and summoned a blob of 20 Horrors in the middle-right of the board, getting strong board control on T1 with my Nurglings primed to charge hit Tzaangors through the ruin. Spells were a little hit or miss (he had a lot of denies), but I managed to get the Cultists without too much issue. I also managed to drop Death Hex on the big Tzaangor blob, and dropped a good chunk  of them in the shooting phase. Then I tied the Tzaangors up with the aim to make him burn his DCM to get them out of a bad spot. Unfortunately, when he popped the fight twice strat he managed to drop the unit to only 3 wounds left, and get a decent amount of movement forwards.

His T1 he moved Mortarian into the central L's, Magnus into view, blasted the Nurglings and freeing up the Tzaangors for a multi charge into my horrors and PB's. Not much of note happened here, he killed some daemons and locked me in place with Mortarian getting aaaaaall up in my grill.

T2 was where things got interesting, I moved my Khorne DP up next to Morty and position to get rid of the Nurgle DP. I messed up here, my Warlord was about 19" away from Morty - just out of range for Death Hex. I gritted my teeth, accepted I was a muppet and cleaned up as much as I could in my Psychic Phase. My Deepstruck Horrors came in T2 too, and wiped the holding unit off his objective. My Khorne DP charged Morty, fought first and got 4 6's to wound, a 3 and a 1. I figured I should double down and CP'd the 1, getting another wound through. He failed 4 saves, and between the Mortal Wounds and the D6 damages I did 17 damage total - 1 more than the 16 wounds he had remaining!

After this I mopped up, and after talking through T6 we decided I'd have finished off his final unit and the game ended 34-15.

Game 2; Adam

This was a fast game, I was playing vs triple Tannaris Knights (Crusader, Crusader & Gallant). Unfortunately Adam was pretty hungover after a late night , but despite being a bit rough at the start of the game it was still a great game and I'd love to play him again. If you're in the Yorkshire area, check out his event the Beachhead Brawl in February.

He pushed his Knights up the field fast, I did the same with my PB's and we clashed in the middle. Next round I pushed my Khorne DP into the middle of 2 Knights, charge both and killed the first. He used the Tannaris strat to get him back up at the end of the phase, and this is where I messed up. Instead of piling into the second knight when I used the fight twice strat, I consolidated into it and he killed him without much effort. I think it's fair to say if I had managed to kill a second knight before losing the Khorne DP I would have had a pretty solid shot at winning this game.

Not much else of interest happened here, I tried to maximise my points after this, but ended up losing 16-36.

Game 3; Alex

Alex was lovely, and also my mates opponent from round 1! We ended up hanging out with Alex for most of the rest of the event, and I'm looking forward to running into him again next year. He was also playing Daemons, with plenty of Khorne Bloodletters, a DP, a Daemon Prince and 2 squads of 8 Nurglings. He also was running the Impossible Robe Lord of Change and a big squad of Plaguebearers. 

This game I felt very pinned in, and even with layering my buffs on the Plaguebearers they disappeared faster than I was comfortable with. A close game to the end (we ran over time, as by this point both of us had our brains melting out of our ears 

playing lists with over 100 models). Plenty of fun moments in this game, with both of us having great and poor rolls in equal measure! Unfortunately I had no way to efficiently kill 36 wounds worth of Nurglings, and he manage to edge me out on scoring by the end. Score 24-30

Game 4; Leo

So here my opponent was late, as in really late. We'd got to the point one of the judges was getting their army out so I could at least get a game in when he arrived. That said, I'm glad he did arrive as it was a fun game and despite making a horrendous misplay in deployment I think it's some of the best 40k I've played. Leo was playing Krast Knights; a double Gallant, and an Errant alongside a battalion of... Iron Hands?! I was taken aback when I saw the list on BCP (Triple Invictor with Autocannons, Smash Captain, Chaplain, Thunderfire Cannon & 3 units of Scouts) however after playing him I actually really liked the Triple Invictor Castle for a solid but mobile firebase.

Unfortunately I left enough of a gap between my screening PB's that he was able to charge and kill my Khorne DP T1. At this point I knew I had minimal chance of actually killing the Knights (A problem as I had gone for Kingslayer, Titan Slayer and foolishly... Old School. I knew this was a mistake when i picked it, but I couldn't think of anything else on the spot). I then forgot to summon a unit in on T1 until my psychic phase. Leo offered to let me go back to summon as I think he felt bad for me, but I didn't think that wes the right thing to do so I didn't have a lot on the board by the end of his T2.

My T2 I summoned a unit of Pinks for shooting to try to get some wounds for Titan Slayer, and summoned in my pinks and PB's to threaten his objectives. I made 2 of 4 charges (Nurglings included) which I was reasonably happy with. Since we were playing Mission 5 of the ITC Missions I did pretty well here, getting the bonus objective something like 3 rounds of the 6.

After this, my screening unit of PB's died fast, my characters died faster and I was fighting with scraps. I did manage to kill the Knight I put Kingslayer on, and get 2 Titan Slayer points on a second Knight. This game did leave me pretty bummed, as it was the second time I'd made a positioning error with the Khorne DP that cost me dearly. I think if I didn't do that, I could have seriously mopped up some strong scoring with how close all of his Knights were and that was the end of the dream of shooting for Best in Faction (Chaos). Score 17-35

Game 5; Shaun

I went into this tournament hoping to face either the 1 Grey Knight or the 1 Necron player - because I feel like anyone who's willing to bring either of those lists has to be a very competent player - and a good opponent to learn against. I was fortunate to get a game against Shaun, who was easily my favourite player vote.

Neither of us knew what the others list did, so we had a good 10 minute chat going deep into all our tricks we could pull off - we were on the bottom tables, we were here for a fun time and I don't like pulling sneaky tricks on people at the best of times anyway - which also seemed to be Shaun's approach.

My deployment was spread wide, so he couldn't just nuke my characters with Mortal Wounds. If Shaun hadn't been open enough to let me know he could do that, and i din't think to ask about character sniping (totally possible at this point in a very long weekend) that could well have been the game by T1. I won the roll off, but gave Shaun T1 (which in retrospect was not the right choice).

Just before T1 he redeployed one of his Night Scythes (the "transport" flyer), his 1 deployed blob of warriors and the C'Tan 12" away from my front line. T1 rolls around, and he "disembarks" one of his reserve blobs of warriors from the Night Scythe - then uses a strat to "disembark" the 3rd blob of Warriors. He moves the Flyers right up infront of my PB's to box me in, and then at the end of his turn Veil of Darkness' his Lord and Orikan into a nice spot in the middle of his blobs. This meant I had 57 fearless Warriors in my face, with a 5++ and reanimating on a 4+. Oh Dear.

He Dropped Mortal wounds on a lot of units with the C'tan hitting a PB unit with a "power" that did D3 mortal wounds to them and a mortal wound to every other unit within 3 on a 4+. This meant every unit I had on the board was in range of this, although I didn't take too many MW's. Shooting Phase he threw the 3d3 MW strat on the Warlord DP, failing the roll initially but getting it on a CP reroll. Fair play, can't grumble at that. He did 6 MW's. dropping him to a single Wound (after the one taken from the C'tan). Phew. That was close. Shooting Phase he targeted the unit without Warp Surge (obviously), so I sacrificed the Banner I had deployed front and Centre so I could stop him shooting the easy unit to kill. A risky move for sure, but it was definitely the right choice, and really hurt his damage output T1.

My T1, I moved the Khorne DP into smash range (I knew it was necessary to suicide him to kill 1 or 2 planes to stop the MW strat) and tried to hide the smaller PB blob as much as possible. I also summoned a blob of Piunks in my back line (both to screen vs flyers and to also try to thin the Warriors). Psychic phase was where it unraveled a little, I failed Gaze of Fate on a 5 (and said "This doesn't bode well, when I start out by failing one of my easiest powers"). I killed some Warriors with spells, and damaged some planes, but mostly didn't achieve all that much. I remembered to cast Temporal Manipulation from Ahriman onto My Warlord before Casting with him, but rolled a 4 & a 1. Not ideal, but no worries, I'll CP the 1. Of course, as is tradition I got another 1 on the reroll. Oh dear. At this point I said "This is where I perils on my Warlord".

I decided I needed to cast with him, as he was probably dead to the C'tan next turn anyway - so I started with a Smite. Double 1. No Cp or Gaze reroll available. I didn't bother rolling the damage, I just pulled him off - giving Shaun the Kill 1 he hadn't managed to get on his first turn. I then multi-charged my Khorne DP into 2 Doom Scythes, which dropped him to 1 wound. (Side Note : Shauns shooting was underwhelming all game, my Nurglings Tanked his Doomsday ark for 3 turns straight - however his overwatch shooting was phenomenal). I split my attacks (greedy I know) and didn't kill either, however managed to drop one of the Croissants after spending 3 CP to Fight again. Of course this is where the dice came up hot, and it exploded killing the Khorne DP! This didn't actually matter much, he'd have died to shooting very easily - but it was hilarious.

After this there was just an insane slog, I did some charge shenanigans to get all 3 units of warriors tagged while only taking 1 unit of shooting in overwatch - and then later followed it up with a charge from a ruin with other unit to keep them tied up as long as possible. This game everything that should have died, didn't - and anything that shouldn't have died, did. It has plenty of hilarious moments, clutch rolls and celebration, and I definitely came away with a better understanding and respect for Necron shenanigans! Score: 21-25

All in all, I enjoyed the event - although I'm very disappointed in my play. I feel like I could have placed a lot better, and I'll be aiming a whole lot higher next ITC event I attend. Unfortunately I've worked out I'm not a huge fan of how the list plays, the lack of shooting definately takes a lot of getting used to - and your ranged damage output having the risk of seriously damaging your expensive characters gets old fast. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the models, I'd be happy to just stick them in a display cabinet when I move - but on the other hand if I can get a decent amount for them to fund my next project I might go for that. I've put feelers out to see how much they'd be realistically worth, and i'll just see if that's worth selling them on to me.

Thanks for following along with me on this journey! i enjoyed the painting and modelling, and a lot of the lower point games - however at higher point levels it definitely becomes more unwieldy and taxing to play!

Edited by dreadmad