So I went down a rabbit hole trying to paint Guilliman's eyes yesterday and ultimately worked out part of my problem was the primer was too heavy (Chaos Black plus multiple layers of Grey Seer for the Zenithal) which partially obscured the details.
So I stopped Guilliman's head, managed to get the laurels and face apart again and took another crack at it last night.
...only for the pupils to end up wonky and the whites of the eyes to get lost in his new lighter skin tone. So I put him aside, went to bed in the early am and came back to it again this morning and got the best result I can manage right now:
And yes, I picked out shadows for his cheekbones, under his lip, his temples, eyes, nose and hairline. The stronger shadow on his left side is just the result of the room lighting and not paint.
So with all that it would seem like yesterday was a bust, but not all was lost. I managed to get the soft armour done though so I could fit some stuff together (namely the legs) to make placing highlights easier:
Oh, and I found put (accidently) that my phone has a manual focus option so hopefully pictures can be less potato.
Edited by Fulkes, 02 July 2019 - 08:19 PM.