Hello everyone, returning gamer

Hi all,

Just joined the forum, loads of great content so thank you! I thought I better say high and introduce myself rather than be a stranger. I used to play 40k in my teens. I had a blood angel and chaos army. Fast forward 20 years and I’ve decided to start playing again!

After lots of research I fell in love with the Alpha Legion, I loved how different they felt to most other legions. However I didn’t want to play Chaos as I’m not a huge fan of the current range (some models excluded). A friend suggested doing them as a loyalist faction which can fit in with the fluff about Alpharius and his band of merry mischief makers.

So essentially because Raven Guard have pretty much the same rules I can play them as a successor (sneaking infiltration) chapter. 

The game has moved on ALOT so I’m very much still learning. I had my first game back a few weeks ago and discovered harlequins in their speeder can move, shoot, disembark, shoot and charge into combat in turn 1

Welcome back, Brother.  Many of us were lapsed players.  We never quit 40k, we just took 20 year hiatuses.

A friend suggested doing them as a loyalist faction which can fit in with the fluff about Alpharius and his band of merry mischief makers.

So essentially because Raven Guard have pretty much the same rules I can play them as a successor (sneaking infiltration) chapter.

You friend is both a.) right and b.) hilarious.  I highly approve.  This is especially fitting for an Alpha Legion-inspired project, precisely because they are sneaky.  You friend might have mentioned the Sons of the Phoenix, and I think your idea is even better than this.  And yes, Raven Guard Chapter Tactics rules is exactly the right counterpart.

Your timing is also outstanding because, you are already rightly keeping an open mind about the rules, you might want to do the same about painting.  GW just introduced a new line of paints that MIGHT dramatically make it both easier and faster for you to get back into painting, which is usually the hardest and slowest part of 40k.  We're testing it out ourselves, and you returned at the perfect time practically.

Thankfully the same friend owes me over the years and is painting them for me! I've been reading about the contrast paints. From what I can see they're very situational, on things like flesh they look great but im less convinced on armour - loot a bit watery and weak.

Here are a few pics of the progress so far. The infiltrators were kept black to represent them being extra sneaky :)

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg?width=868&height=487

image1.jpg

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the B&C - would you ever consider returning to your Blood Angels?

Yeah actually if I'd better understood the game changes and playstyle abilities I might well have gone back to blood angels because I enjoy being an aggressive force and I love the lore around Dante/Mephiston. It's probably the only thing that I struggle with for my Alpha is special character choice - I usually use Shrike as I'm essentially disguised as Terrahawks  :biggrin.:

Sorry for the late reply but if you do want to scratch that itch feel free to read around the BA forum and ask any questions - we're a friendly bunch after all and there's so much knowledge to be gleaned on here :)