Hey folks, returning to the BA side of the miniature hobby after a long and entertaining run in the rather medieval fields of the ruined Warhammer world and it’s unofficial successor, T9A.

This list is made up from stuff that I used to use in 6th or paint up to get used in 7th. I never got a game in the 7th ed I think, so here we are now. Some of this is painted(link in my signature:) ) and some of it will see paint in the ETL.

Without further ado, 2000 points of Blood Angels:

Battleforged + 3 CP

Armoury of Baal -1 CP

Selections: 1 additional Relic of Baal

Battalion + 5 CP

- HQ -

Captain - Warlord

Selfless Valour

Inferno pistol, Jump Pack, Relic blade, Relic: The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack)

Chaplain

- Troops -

Scout Squad - bolters x5

Scout Squad - 5x Combat knife

Scout Squad - 5x sniper rifles and Camo Cloaks

- Elites -

Sanguinary Ancient

Selections: Angelus boltgun, Death mask, Encarmine sword

Sanguinary Guard - 8 men, 2 plasma pistols

Terminator Assault Squad - 5xThunder hammer and storm shield

- Fast Attack -

Assault Squad - 5 men, 2x Melta

- Heavy Support -

Devastator Squad: Armorium Cherub, 5 men, 2x lascannon

Whirlwind

Storm bolter, Whirlwind vengeance launcher

- Flyer -

Stormraven Gunship

Selections: 2x Stormstrike missile launcher, Twin lascannon, Twin multi-melta

Battalion Detachment +5CP

- HQ -

Librarian Dreadnought Melta gun

Sanguinary Priest - relic: The Veritas Vitae

- Troops -

Scout Squad - 5x combat knives

Scout Squad - 4x bolters, 1x heavy bolters

Tactical Squad - 5x, 1 missile launcher, Chainsword, Storm bolter on sarge

2000 on the spot!

Any suggestions are highly welcomed, I’ll have another 2-3 weeks until I can get a game in.

Snorri

Edited by SnorriSnorrison

Watch Luke Barker on StrikingScorpion82's youtube channel. Runs a very simiar list (but with 1 more StormRaven instead of the some of your footsloggers).

It was the inspiration for my current build (I have Vanguard instead of the Terminators).

Best batreps on the webs, right? And yeah, I’ve only done some reading prior to list building instead of trial and error. The BA featured on his channel are well painted, but obviously not optimized in many ways. Having witnessed the insane durability of terminators in the battles, I decided to give them a go as well, not including my death company this time around. Also, Luke is constantly struggling to hold objectives and to stay safe from deepstrikers, so I guess the extra scouts won’t hurt. And extra CP!

What’s your take on Vanvets this edition? I could see myself building a squad in the future, stormshields are so cheap it would be heresy not to fully kit a unit out and sprinkle some chainswords in with that. And hammers.

Also, 5x LC looks like a lot of fun.

Snorri

Watch Luke Barker on StrikingScorpion82's youtube channel. Runs a very simiar list (but with 1 more StormRaven instead of the some of your footsloggers).

It was the inspiration for my current build (I have Vanguard instead of the Terminators).

Luke is a terrible BA player. Don't pull too much from his reps other than what not to do.

Luke is a terrible BA player. Don't pull too much from his reps other than what not to do.
Pretty much. Doesnt make them less enjoyable, but they are not a very good example.

Sad, but true. I didn’t even play a single game in 8th yet, but I can tell that he’s not utilizing what the Blood Angels can bring to the table

in fast shock troops, never uses their specific stratagems or units safe for the too small Sang Guard and some characters. Two stormravens are mighty in firepower, but also in points which we’re chronically short of anyways. Also, basically only uses CP for re-rolls and the odd SM stratagem and therefore wastes the 9-ish points he’s left with after DVoS and perhaps AoB. Vanguard and spearhead detachments sound good when you’re taking the units anyways, but to include the 500-ish points of stuff for 1 CP isn’t worth it.

Terminators are no-brainer point-and-click weapons, but I like the fact that they’re much more durable now than they used to be, which is more fitting to their background. Same goes for the Sanguinary Guard.

Pretty much. Doesnt make them less enjoyable, but they are not a very good example.

I really like the effort put into the set-up of the tables, the well-painted armies and a bit of epic-ness in crucial dice rolling.

Also, good sound and video, which goes a long way.

Any suggestions on my alterations made to the “striking scorpion” list?

I’m not taking the Sanguinor (still hate him) nor the 2nd Stormraven. 12 CP should be plenty for the first two turns, especially since UWoF gives great tactical flexibility to re-deploying units such as the sang guard, the assault squad or even characters on first turn if you want. Also, a chance to win back that CP through the relic, even though I’d liked the Standard of Sacrifice better.

It has to do with his inability to take criticism from the positive crowd. I have no idea why he puts his Terminators and Sanguinary Guard in n the storm ravens. And when the storm ravens get nuked he gives his opponent free kills.

Example against Mortarion just two days ago, he sent Slamguinius by himself and moved the sanguinor out of position, followed by horrible misplacement of his Sanguinary Guard. 1. Putting them in the storm raven, and 2. not sending them into mortarion and instead into poxwalkers...

He committed over 800 points into taking on mortarion in multiple rounds and constantly misplays his army and his rules. It's just frustrating and I feel like it's becoming a meme.

It has to do with his inability to take criticism from the positive crowd. I have no idea why he puts his Terminators and Sanguinary Guard in n the storm ravens. And when the storm ravens get nuked he gives his opponent free kills.

Example against Mortarion just two days ago, he sent Slamguinius by himself and moved the sanguinor out of position, followed by horrible misplacement of his Sanguinary Guard. 1. Putting them in the storm raven, and 2. not sending them into mortarion and instead into poxwalkers...

He committed over 800 points into taking on mortarion in multiple rounds and constantly misplays his army and his rules. It's just frustrating and I feel like it's becoming a meme.

I saw that battle report. Was yelling at my screen :D

Terminators I could see in the ravens since they can get a pretty good charge off turn 2 without the fear of rolling a 7 after deep striking and not worrying about screens. Totally agree on the Sanguinary Guard though.

Yeah, feeding stuff piecemeal to Mortarion went about as expected, he got insanely lucky with lascannon or Melta shots I think, taking off vital wounds before the fight(s).

I don’t know why he sent the Sanguinary Guard to where he sent them. They just need support these days, but if they get it, they look pretty devastating on paper!

Snorri

Sorry Snorri,

Didnt mean to blatantly high jack your thread with complaining.

I do recommend playing the Sanguinoe. His utility for our army is better than most of the others, he also allows you to take bulk squads if he's the warlord, since your units are unaffected by morale as long as they stay within his bubble.

I just wish he did a flat 2 damage rather than D3. But otherwise I take him almost exclusively in most of my lists.

Personally I would drop the one 5 man meltacide RAS squad for a 2nd whirlwind or bulk up your Sanguinary Guard. Alternatively you could add a razorback/las-back which would give you more utility.

Sorry Snorri,

Didnt mean to blatantly high jack your thread with complaining.

I do recommend playing the Sanguinoe. His utility for our army is better than most of the others, he also allows you to take bulk squads if he's the warlord, since your units are unaffected by morale as long as they stay within his bubble.

I just wish he did a flat 2 damage rather than D3. But otherwise I take him almost exclusively in most of my lists.

Personally I would drop the one 5 man meltacide RAS squad for a 2nd whirlwind or bulk up your Sanguinary Guard. Alternatively you could add a razorback/las-back which would give you more utility.

No worries aye, it's well deserved complaints actually. Despite the well-made battle-reports, SS82's way to play BA is not very BA at all.

The Sanguinor is a bit of a red flag for me, just like Primaris marines, because I hate their background. That said, the aura and the fall-back-and-charge ability can really wreak havoc, as you said. I'll try out my Captain Aphael with a relic blade and Infernus pistol first, but I fear I'll have to exchange him for a Smash captain eventually.

Good point about the RAS, I just wanted to squeeze them in for some BA-goodness. Not enough points for 10 though. I'll consider the Las/PLas-back for sure, Kromlech is offering some nice bits for the turrets. The Sanguinary Guard might be fine with 8 since there's another potent hammer unit in the Terminators.

Thanks!

Snorri

What’s your take on Vanvets this edition? I could see myself building a squad in the future, stormshields are so cheap it would be heresy not to fully kit a unit out and sprinkle some chainswords in with that. And hammers.

Snorri

I built mine in response to the points reduction on shields, so 5 with dual LCs, 5 with Axe/Shield. Don't often have the points available to field all 10 though, typically field 4 of each type. Run them with the Jump pack Chaplain.

Snorri

I built mine in response to the points reduction on shields, so 5 with dual LCs, 5 with Axe/Shield. Don't often have the points available to field all 10 though, typically field 4 of each type. Run them with the Jump pack Chaplain.

They do seem to need some support, since re-rolls are the thing now and Sang Guard outshine them as soon as they're around a warlord...

I guess I'll get around to build some eventually, they're a very iconic unit for Blood Angels, despite being rolled into Vanguard Veterans/codex-compliant units.

Worked a little on my list from earler:

Armoury of Baal [-1CP]: 1 additional Relic of Baal [-1CP]

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ [11 PL, 181pts] +

Captain [6 PL, 109pts]: 6. Selfless Valour, Inferno pistol  Jump Pack , Relic blade, The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Warlord

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Bolt pistol

+ Troops [12 PL, 190pts] +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]

. Scouts, Boltgun

. Scouts, Combat knife

Scout Squad [4 PL, 80pts]

. Scouts, Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Sniper rifle

+ Elites [37 PL, 569pts] +

Sanguinary Ancient [6 PL, 81pts]: Angelus boltgun  Death mask, Encarmine sword

Sanguinary Guard [20 PL, 283pts] - 8 men, 1 PF, 1 Plasma pistol with axe

Terminator Assault Squad [11 PL, 205pts]: Teleport homer, Storm shields, Thunder hammers

+ Fast Attack [8 PL, 92pts] +

Scout Bike Squad [8 PL, 92pts]

. Scout Bikers (4)

+ Heavy Support [13 PL, 207pts] +

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 115pts] - 2x lascannons

Whirlwind [5 PL, 92pts]: Storm bolter, Whirlwind vengeance launcher

+ Flyer [15 PL, 314pts] +

Stormraven Gunship [15 PL, 314pts]: 2x Stormstrike missile launcher, Twin lascannon, Twin multi-melta

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [27 PL, 447pts, 5CP] ++

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ [14 PL, 240pts] +

Librarian Dreadnought [9 PL, 154pts]: Furioso fisst, Meltagun

Sanguinary Priest [5 PL, 86pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Jump Pack, The Veritas Vitae

+ Troops [13 PL, 207pts] +

. Scouts, Combat knife

Scout Squad [4 PL, 65pts]

. Scouts, bolters, 1x Heavy bolter

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 87pts], Missile launcher Chainsword, Storm bolter

Took out the RAS and added a scout bike squad of 4 because I found some on ebay. Actually found 7 and bought them, and waiting for another auction to pass through.

Because of that, I've tempered with the idea of a Brigade detachment and switched things up a little.

++ Brigade Detachment +12CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [134 PL, 2,000pts, 14CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot [14CP] +

Armoury of Baal [-1CP]: 1 additional Relic of Baal [-1CP]

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [12CP]

+ HQ [20 PL, 364pts] +

Captain [6 PL, 124pts]: 6. Selfless Valour, Jump Pack , Storm shield, The Hammer of Baal (replaces thunder hammer), Thunder hammer, Warlord

Librarian Dreadnought [9 PL, 154pts]: Furioso fist, Meltagun

Sanguinary Priest [5 PL, 86pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Jump Pack

+ Troops [25 PL, 397pts] +

. Scouts Boltgun

. Scouts, Combat knife

. Scouts, Combat knife

. Scouts, Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Sniper rifle

. Scouts, boltguns, 1x Heavy bolter

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 87pts], Missile launcher Chainsword, Storm bolter

+ Elites [44 PL, 561pts] +

Death Company [18 PL, 204pts]: Jump Pack

. 10x Death Company Marine, Bolt pistol, 1x Power sword

Sanguinary Ancient [6 PL, 79pts]: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword, Standard of Sacrifice

Sanguinary Guard [20 PL, 278pts], 8 men, 1x PF + PP, 1x PP, 1x PF

+ Fast Attack [14 PL, 198pts] +

Land Speeders [6 PL, 60pts] Heavy bolter

Scout Bike Squad [4 PL, 69pts]

Scout Bike Squad [4 PL, 69pts]

+ Heavy Support [21 PL, 290pts] +

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 115pts] - 2x lascannon

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 85pts] - 1x Missile launcher

Whirlwind [5 PL, 90pts]: Whirlwind vengeance launcher

+ Dedicated Transport [10 PL, 190pts] +

Land Speeder Storm [5 PL, 80pts]: Heavy bolter

Razorback [5 PL, 110pts]: Twin lascannon

In the Brigade, I traded in the firepower and transport ability of the Stormraven and added a Land speeder Storm and razorback. Also, switched out the Terminators for DC and one less HQ to make space for the extra choices in the heavy and fast attack department. Could need Lemartes for the DC actually, since they'll be in the thick of the fighting very early, or dead by the time they could reach.

So lots of bodies on the table and very little armour, which is something I'm a bit concerned about. Still, there is ranged firepower. and the option to use a lot of stratagems and two extra command points compared to the 2 battalions above. Perhaps the Terminators are the superior option because of their destructive power.

Any thoughts?

Snorri

I like that list a LOT more snorri!

Just wondering, why selfless valour on the captain?

Thanks Lynnean! Which one in particular?

Well, reading through the rules it occurred to me that a heroic intervention is basically a free F-you!-move after your opponent charged.

Deploying correctly, the Captain won’t be targeted by a lot of firepower and is not too vulnerable in close combat either, because I’m keeping him close to the SoS. So if he’s avoided in close combat, a 6“ HI move could be critical to getting him back into the fight when my opponent doesn’t want him to.

But yeah, on the Smashy, you can’t use the artisan of war for the hammer. Might switch it around a little and give him the relic JP, regular hammer and the Artisan of War.

Thanks!

Snorri

Well, reading through the rules it occurred to me that a heroic intervention is basically a free F-you!-move after your opponent charged.

Deploying correctly, the Captain won’t be targeted by a lot of firepower and is not too vulnerable in close combat either, because I’m keeping him close to the SoS. So if he’s avoided in close combat, a 6“ HI move could be critical to getting him back into the fight when my opponent doesn’t want him to.

But yeah, on the Smashy, you can’t use the artisan of war for the hammer. Might switch it around a little and give him the relic JP, regular hammer and the Artisan of War.

Thanks!

Snorri

I'm wondering about the smashy yeah. Wouldnt it be better to give him foresight over the selfless valour? To make him a bit more durable?

Thanks!

Snorri

I'm wondering about the smashy yeah. Wouldnt it be better to give him foresight over the selfless valour? To make him a bit more durable?

Perhaps, but it's "only" on a 6 re-rolling 1s. Yes, I'm aware of the DVoS stratagem, but I don't feel it that much, to be fair. That's purely background-driven, though :)

He'll be close to the Standard of Sacrifice though, so he'll have the 5+++ anyways in theory.

So in my 2-battalion list, I'm not even using a smashy yet. I'll try out the cheaper relic blade / infernus pistol for now and draw my conclusions after that.

Snorri

Hey folks,

my first game of 8th coming up, against the hive fleet Kraken.

2000 points, bit of an entry game but I think it’ll have a certain competitive strain, looking at my opponent’s list...

That’s 2 battalions and one spearhead.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Tyranids) [82 PL, 1,449pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Hive Fleet: Kraken

+ HQ +

Broodlord [8 PL, 115pts]: Power: Catalyst, Warlord, Warlord Trait: One Step Ahead

Hive Tyrant [9 PL, 190pts]: Adrenal Glands, Chameleonic Mutation, Heavy Venom Cannon, Monstrous Boneswords, Power: Catalyst, Power: Onslaught, Toxin Sacs

Neurothrope [4 PL, 90pts]: Power: Psychic Scream

Tyranid Prime [6 PL, 82pts]: Adrenal Glands, Boneswords, Deathspitter, Toxin Sacs

+ Troops +

Genestealers [16 PL, 240pts]

. 20x Genestealer: 20x Rending Claws

Ripper Swarms [2 PL, 33pts]: 3x Ripper Swarm

Ripper Swarms [2 PL, 33pts]: 3x Ripper Swarm

Termagants [3 PL, 40pts]

. 10x Termagant (Fleshborer)

Termagants [3 PL, 40pts]

Termagants [3 PL, 40pts]

Tyranid Warriors [13 PL, 273pts]

. Tyranid Warrior: Adrenal Glands, Boneswords, Deathspitter

. Tyranid Warrior (Bio-cannon): Adrenal Glands, Boneswords, Venom Cannon

Tyranid Warriors [13 PL, 273pts]

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Tyranids) [28 PL, 548pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

+ HQ +

Old One Eye [10 PL, 200pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Carnifexes [6 PL, 116pts]

. Carnifex: Adrenal Glands, Monstrous Crushing Claws, Spore Cysts, Tusks, Two Devourers with Brainleech Worms

. Carnifex: Adrenal Glands, Monstrous Crushing Claws, Spore Cysts, Tusks, Two Devourers with Brainleech Worms

++ Total: [110 PL, 1,997pts] ++

Quite nasty. Fast, durable with double catalyst, lots of big stuff and a very mobile fire base hitting on 3’s with S5 AP-1, 27 shots per warrior unit. Any units of scouts or isolated vehicles will be mincemeat quicker than I could say „For the Emperor!“.

Also, the amount of venom cannons is staggering and will grind even a dedicated tank detachment to a halt quick enough.

Here’s what I’ll bring:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [98 PL, 1,565pts, 7CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Armoury of Baal [-1CP]: 1 additional Relic of Baal

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, 109pts]: 2. Artisan of War, Inferno pistol, Jump Pack, Relic blade, The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Warlord

Chaplain [5 PL, 72pts]: Bolt pistol

+ Troops +

. Scout: Boltgun

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

. Scout: Combat knife

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combat knife

. Scout: Camo cloak, Sniper rifle

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Camo cloak, Sniper rifle

+ Elites +

Death Company [16 PL, 192pts]

. Death Company Marine: Bolt pistol, Power sword

. Death Company Marine: Boltgun, Power fist

. Death Company Marine: Bolt pistol, Power sword

. Death Company Marine: Bolt pistol, Power axe

. Death Company Marine

. . Bolt pistol and chainsword

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

Sanguinary Ancient [6 PL, 81pts]: Angelus boltgun, Death mask, Encarmine sword, Standard of Sacrifice

Sanguinary Guard [20 PL, 277pts]

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Power fist

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 115pts]

. Space Marine: Lascannon

. Space Marine: Lascannon

. Space Marine: Boltgun

. Space Marine: Boltgun

. Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun

Whirlwind [5 PL, 85pts]: Whirlwind castellan launcher

+ Flyer +

Stormraven Gunship [15 PL, 334pts]: 2x Stormstrike missile launcher, Twin lascannon, Twin multi-melta

. Two hurricane bolters: 2x Hurricane bolter

+ Dedicated Transport +

Razorback [5 PL, 110pts]: Twin lascannon

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [30 PL, 435pts, 5CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ +

Librarian Dreadnought [9 PL, 154pts]: Furioso fist, Meltagun

Sanguinary Priest [4 PL, 69pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

+ Troops +

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combat knife

. Scout: Heavy bolter

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

Tactical Squad [9 PL, 92pts]

. 4x Space Marine

. Space Marine (Heavy weapon): Heavy flamer

. Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun, Chainsword

++ Total: [128 PL, 2,000pts, 12CP] ++

Not quite on par power-wise, but I’ve set up a game plan:

1. Get first turn, obliterate one squad of warriors ASAP. Focus-fire with all the heavy weapons should do the trick I hope, also instead of clearing chaff the hurricane bolters will have to help as well.

2. Failing that, sit back and hope not to get eaten by the ‘stealers first turn. Then try again if the storm raven is still alive.

3. The big nasties will have to wait for later turns, perhaps I can multi-charge them with the captain and Sangguard, denying the Fexes over watch. With a priest nearby, there’ll be good-ish wound rolls for the captain himself and 4+ for the Guard, re-rolling 1s to wound.

4. If one warrior squad is wiped in the shooting phase, then the DC should be able to tear through the second. Catalyst will be a problem, denying the wounds taken on a 5+++...

Deepstrike setup:

Captain on the Board, Next to Razorback and Devastators to lend re-rolls in the first turn.

In reserves will be the Guard and the Ancient, coming down simultaneously. Then I will UWoF the captain close by and charge with him, while using Descent of Angels on the Guard and a simple Command-reroll on the ancient. Or maybe just advance to keep him in 6” with his banner.

Has anyone here fought against the ‘Nids and can give me a bit of advice?

The lists were exchanged and are sort of set, so I gotta work with that.

Thanks!

Snorri

That list is kind of weird. It's very close combat heavy, and he has tons of points in troops.

My first two priority units to take out in my opinion are the lone hive tyrant and the gene stealers. Then kite around his shadows in the warp, so with the libby dread cast his powers before you move up and kill his heavy hitters.

If you activate forlorn fury I would push them up a vulnerable flank. Alternatively if you want an easy first blood/strike you can take out a squad of gaunts if he uses them as a screen. The main focus with this type list is weight of shots because the 5++ from gene stealers will eventually break. Catalyst is powerful, but in matched play you can only cast each spell once other than smite, so he isn't going to get to throw around 5+ FnP.

That list is kind of weird. It's very close combat heavy, and he has tons of points in troops.

My first two priority units to take out in my opinion are the lone hive tyrant and the gene stealers. Then kite around his shadows in the warp, so with the libby dread cast his powers before you move up and kill his heavy hitters.

If you activate forlorn fury I would push them up a vulnerable flank. Alternatively if you want an easy first blood/strike you can take out a squad of gaunts if he uses them as a screen. The main focus with this type list is weight of shots because the 5++ from gene stealers will eventually break. Catalyst is powerful, but in matched play you can only cast each spell once other than smite, so he isn't going to get to throw around 5+ FnP.

True, but the warriors are no joke, even though they're troops. 9 venom cannon shots and 18 shots from the deathspitters hitting on 3's hurt. Times two, actually, because that's only one unit. With the Tyranid Prime around, they'll be very dangerous in close combat, too.

The hive tyrant is well protected against ranged attacks with -1 to hit and a 4++ to keep him alive. I statistically don't have the firepower to take him out in one turn. Do you think he's the biggest threat? The Warlord is the Broodlord anyways.

The Libby Dread should be able to kill a Carnifex or even two on a good turn, so yeah. He'll die from a countercharge from Old One Eye though. I guess I'll go Quickening and Wings.

What do you mean with kiting the Shadow in the Warp units? Make him move the HQ's in for support somewhere else?

The DC start in the Stormraven with the chaplain and Priest, so they'll be ready to support a massive turn 2 charge with the Sangguard hopefully. Perhaps they can take on the Genestealers with support fire from the Tac squad in the Lazorback.

Thanks!

Snorri

True, but the warriors are no joke, even though they're troops. 9 venom cannon shots and 18 shots from the deathspitters hitting on 3's hurt. Times two, actually, because that's only one unit. With the Tyranid Prime around, they'll be very dangerous in close combat, too.

The hive tyrant is well protected against ranged attacks with -1 to hit and a 4++ to keep him alive. I statistically don't have the firepower to take him out in one turn. Do you think he's the biggest threat? The Warlord is the Broodlord anyways.

The Libby Dread should be able to kill a Carnifex or even two on a good turn, so yeah. He'll die from a countercharge from Old One Eye though. I guess I'll go Quickening and Wings.

What do you mean with kiting the Shadow in the Warp units? Make him move the HQ's in for support somewhere else?

The DC start in the Stormraven with the chaplain and Priest, so they'll be ready to support a massive turn 2 charge with the Sangguard hopefully. Perhaps they can take on the Genestealers with support fire from the Tac squad in the Lazorback.

Thanks!

Snorri

I play kaiju kraken and I run a squad of warriors with venom cannon. It isn't that great 4+/5+ on advance isn't that menacing. If I'm shooting at you it's with exocrines. The warriors are just to keep my backfielders from taking morale hits.

Shadows in the warp has an 18" range, so just stay outside of that the turn you activate and charge(move to 18.1" away). You want to activate quickening first then wings. You want to take out the hive tyrant because he's up front. If he's wasting chameleonic mutation on the shooty HT that's okay. That's neg 1 CP. The main concern is taking out the 20 stealers first. Your small arms fire work great for that.

Remember warriors only sport a 4+/3+ in cover so they aren't that big of a threat. It depends on your mission though, if you want to close ranks on them quickly you can, you can also just shoot the dakkafex thats farthest back with lascannons. They only have 8 wounds and T7. They drop pretty easily to lascannons. Even if you are hitting them on 4s, you could keep your JP captain out to re-roll 1s.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

I play kaiju kraken and I run a squad of warriors with venom cannon. It isn't that great 4+/5+ on advance isn't that menacing. If I'm shooting at you it's with exocrines. The warriors are just to keep my backfielders from taking morale hits.

Shadows in the warp has an 18" range, so just stay outside of that the turn you activate and charge(move to 18.1" away). You want to activate quickening first then wings. You want to take out the hive tyrant because he's up front. If he's wasting chameleonic mutation on the shooty HT that's okay. That's neg 1 CP. The main concern is taking out the 20 stealers first. Your small arms fire work great for that.

Remember warriors only sport a 4+/3+ in cover so they aren't that big of a threat. It depends on your mission though, if you want to close ranks on them quickly you can, you can also just shoot the dakkafex thats farthest back with lascannons. They only have 8 wounds and T7. They drop pretty easily to lascannons. Even if you are hitting them on 4s, you could keep your JP captain out to re-roll 1s.

Thanks, man! Great helpful insight. I’ll do the hurricane bolters, Scouts and whirly on the stealers, and lascannon the hell out of that tyrant.

Weakend by that fire, the Genestealers I should be able to take on in a counter charge I reckon. Let’s hope they don’t reach.

Maybe do some wounds with the sniper scouts on the Tyranid prime.

He’s only taken one bio-artefact, so that’s free of charge.

I’ll heed your advice though, thanks again!

Snorri

Dont be afraid to ask your opponent what the stats are either. Most people focus my exoxrine down first and then go for my hive tyrants and swarm lord. I play a hyper aggressive shooty list with a lot of psychic control and mortal wound spam.

He's hoping to advance up for a turn 2 assault unless you go first and counter assault you. You should be fine, it's all about getting experience playing Nids.

It's one of my favorite armies to play with and against.

Now, if you feel like you need to prioritize on other things outside of the genestealers do that, take down them first and then crash your DC and guard into the warriors and leave your captain and libby dread to taking out the carnafexes if need be.

Also dont forget to use and abuse hellfire shells on the T7 gribblies for mortal wounds. Also dont forget using the signum to keep a H. bolter or lascannon on 2+/3+ BS.

I would probably send both heavy bolters into the genestealers turn 1 if you can't take them out with your storm raven's bolters.

So yeah, spent 7 hours at the club yesterday. Not the bouncy-boom-boom one though, the hobby one.

Played 6 objectives from the short table edges, I was set in cover fairly well and the 'Nids got to go first. My first roll before the game: a 1. That would turn out to be the overall theme of the next few turns...

1st turn: my opponent used a stratagem to un-cover a building ruin housing my sniper scouts and tactical squad. So much for camo cloaks!

His advance was incredibly fast and menacing, two units of warriors pushing down on one flank, OOE and the three Carnifexes on the other, with a fairly huge piece of LOS-blocking terrain in the middle. Genestealers were the first to advance though, and did so for about 16 inches in total with the Kraken buff and opportunisitic advance being played. The Broodlord was only shortly behind.

The Termagaunts hugged the backfield in two long rows of bugs.

Onslaught was cast on the advanced warriors, catalyst went off on the genestealers, me not being in range to deny either with my Libby Dread.

The shooting turned out to be fairly ineffective, but effective enough to strip the Lazorback down to 4 wounds.

No assaults managed to get in.

My first turn:

Captain started on the table next to the Lasback, Devastators and Heavy bolter scout squad. Sangguard and the Ancient in reserves, the DC and characters in the Raven.

Ready to shoot down the Hive Tyrant that had marched up with the warriors, I moved the Stormraven in melta-range and in fron of the genestealers, blocking their way between the terrain and the base of my flier.

The Libby Dread saw an opportunity: being just out of 24" of the broodlord could bring him in a fairly good position for a turn 1 charge on the enemy warlord! So I moved him up, closer to the psychic menace.

Very little other movements were made as I didn't need to get any closer; my opponent was doing that for me.

Psychic phase, failed to cast Quickening (not even in Shadow of the Warp range...just rolled poorly). Since I knew that Wings was the more important power here, I didn't command re-roll at this point. Then attempted to cast Wings, got a 7 with a 5 and a 2, but since my opponent's dice had been on fire from the start, I re-rolled the two and got....a 1! Which my opponent easily blocked. Libby Dread had been a liability since then.

Shooting phase: The Stormraven got around 3-5 wounds with his S8/9, AP3 and Damage 3-D6 on the Hive Tyrant. My opponent made all his 4++ saves. Didn't kill a single stealer because of, again, insane dice rolling with 5++/5+++ against the Hurricane bolters.

Devastators, hit, wounded the Tyrant, both were blocked by the 4++. Lasback: same. Or didn't hit. Or rolled a 1 to wound. Something like that.

Sniper Scouts I'm going to mention here because they failed to roll a single 6 or even 5 against the big creatures of the Hive fleet.

Whirlwind, didn't kill a single stealer, only getting 4 shots and my opponent continueing to roll boxcars all the time.

The heavy bolter scout loaded the hellfire shells into his weapon and let loose...to hit! and caused 2 wounds on the Hive Tyrant! Something that took the rest of my army an entire round of shooting....Anyways, I think the Tyrant went down to 8 wounds.

Oh and by the way, my objectives were: Kill Old One Eye, keep 3 units in my deployment zone after turn 2, but no Tyranids and capture objective no. 5. Which was at the other end of the table, where the gaunts were hugging the backline. Yeah. I kept forgetting to drop them to get new ones, too, so...

Turn 2:

Everything moved ever closer, you know, it's 'Nids.

Psychic phase: 3 mortal wounds from Psychic Scream and smite from the Neurotrophe on the Stormraven, even with armour of contempt stratagem. Poor rolling on my part...

Shooting phase: Razorback blew up - my Captain, the devs and the scouts in range. I re-rolled, only to get a ....6. Worst of timing. Captain took a single wound, but the devastators were wiped out since they'd taken 2 wounds in the shooting phase already. Scouts only got 1 or two dead.

I'm going to make it short here:

It was a bitter day for the Sons of the Angel. An enjoyable game it was, but what left a bitter taste in my mouth is the fact that my own dice betrayed me!

Highlights: DC took out the Broodlord after disembarking from the SR, Captain killed the Hive Tyrant turn 2 I think. DC charged a big unit of warriors after killing one in the shooting phase, but my inability to roll 4+/5+++ saw them loosing too many models in the fight against the synapse creatures. They were shot and charged off the table.

Man of the Match: gotta give it to the Heavy bolter scout. That dude plinked off 4-5 wounds on the Hive Tyrant all by himself, and off some warriors as well!

Poor dogs: Tacticals, poor guys got charged by Stealers and were wiped. Everything was wiped, kinda, but they suffered a turn 2 charge deep in my deployment zone and got overrun.

Conclusions: Get new dice, and tinker with some lists. I like the DC with chaplain and priest, they really go to town. Paint up and magnetise another power fist for them, as well as the jump packs I've had lying arounds for ages. And Lemartes.

Sangguard are solid. Even better with a Priest, Ancient and Warlord around. Thinking of making the Ancient the WL to get them their ability all the time so smashy can go get 'em.

Perhaps I'll need a Predator or two. The autocannon is pretty good with flat 3 damage, and lascannon sponsons will certainly help as well in addition to the Devastators.

Thanks for reading.

Snorri