thewarriorhunter's Adeptus Titanicus Legio and Knight PLOG

I counted 20... so if you want to play WYSIWYG then you only get four shots per game :biggrin.:

I counted the Warlords and it looks like there's 24 missiles per pod which annoys my OCD since you get 10 per shot.

Also I forgot to mention the carapace weapon is magnetized. I love that I don't have to drill anything sometimes, it is so nice.

I counted 20... so if you want to play WYSIWYG then you only get four shots per game :biggrin.:

I counted the Warlords and it looks like there's 24 missiles per pod which annoys my OCD since you get 10 per shot.

Also I forgot to mention the carapace weapon is magnetized. I love that I don't have to drill anything sometimes, it is so nice.

well, maybe there are more missiles stored inside the launcher(or even the Titan itself if some kind of feed mechanism could pass through the hinges that connect the weapon to the Titan) that are loaded into firing position once a salvo is fired?

EDIT: hell, on larger Titans I wouldn't be surprised if they had full-fledged missile manufacturing facilities onboard.

EDIT2: as for the drilled out missile launcher in question here: nice work, vary clean holes. though in my opinion having them all bunched together makes it look uneven, and is not how spent missiles in 40K are typically represented, as seen on the Imperial Knight Warden here:

99120108005_IMPERIALKNIGHTWARDEN01.jpg

Edited by RipOffProductions

EDIT2: as for the drilled out missile launcher in question here: nice work, vary clean holes. though in my opinion having them all bunched together makes it look uneven, and is not how spent missiles in 40K are typically represented, as seen on the Imperial Knight Warden here:

I thought about that because most missing missiles are spread around... but to me that didn't make sense. If the launcher is firing five at a time it makes sense that the five would be wired to the same bank of controls/signal manipulator. Having those five spread all over the place didn't make a lot of sense because from a wiring/information transit perspective it would be more efficient to have banks of missiles grouped together. That way if one fails it's easier to replace that set of hardware vs. tracing wires all over the weapon.

Again... that's probably a little too logical but I've worked with servers and setting up wiring and you always group stuff together so... I guess it's just a little real world bleeding into my make-believe one.

I thought about that because most missing missiles are spread around... but to me that didn't make sense. If the launcher is firing five at a time it makes sense that the five would be wired to the same bank of controls/signal manipulator. Having those five spread all over the place didn't make a lot of sense because from a wiring/information transit perspective it would be more efficient to have banks of missiles grouped together. That way if one fails it's easier to replace that set of hardware vs. tracing wires all over the weapon.

Again... that's probably a little too logical but I've worked with servers and setting up wiring and you always group stuff together so... I guess it's just a little real world bleeding into my make-believe one.

true, but at the same time having the missiles that fire at the same time spread out in order to help make a wider salvo, as well as making the aim of the weapon more or less the same for each salvo, rather then the point of origin shifting from one side to the other with each firing.

well that and weight distribution: I remember seeing some lore saying that Titans don't expel spent ammo casings because it unbalances the Titan if they did expel all that extra weight, as well as the fact that dropping multi-ton shell casings might cause unwanted collateral damage/allied deaths, as visualized in this timestamped section of Rebiuld of Evangelion 1.0:

https://youtu.be/boDDY_wLtSE?t=22

Everything is off sprue and most sub-assemblies are put together and magnetized. The final magnets left are the Reaver shoulders so I can swap ranged to melee.

OdY6Oxeh.jpg

I also think I've settled on a scheme of dark green marble with cream marble accents. Blue OSL features for eyes and energy and the frame will be a metallic black. I'm not sure if I want trim to be gold or silver... I'm leaning towards silver, especially because all of my hoses and tubes will be steel. I want to try and keep the colors down so it doesn't look like the Emperor's Children got a hold of it.

I finished magnetizing my Reaver over the weekend and shot a quick video of the different options. I'm hoping to break out my airbrush Friday and get paint thrown down on my Warhounds. I'm hoping the zenithal with white ink and then the black metallic base won't take to long.

My crushed glass came in from Secret Weapon Miniatures. I'm hoping to get a test base done over the weekend as well so I can see how this stuff interacts against paint and basing material.

bYI6LkWh.jpg

Also here's a quick video of my magnetization:

Appreciate the compliments! I take my time when I hobby because it relaxes me. I'm rushing AT to a degree because I want to field my own army. I've got a game tonight with a guy who has enough stuff that he can lend me his titans, I'm looking forward to playing again, my first game was a blast.

I painted up a test base for my snow scheme and overall I'm happy. I've determined that I can take a lot of techniques from my Raven Guard bases and just apply this scheme to have (IMO) a good looking ice and snow scheme. The lighting is a bit dark but the overall colors come through well enough:

Az3iT0Nh.jpg

I also broke out the airbrush last night to get the base coat down on the frame of both warhounds. I actually sprayed them twice because the first coat was too gray. My first pass used Vallejo Air Metallic Black, but I think it should be called Metallic Gray. I then tried mixing some black paint in with the Metallic and it got dark enough that I'm OK with the initial results. I would like it darker but I'll wait and see what highlighting and dry brushing and armor panels do for the overall look.

TXNGBUnh.jpg

n3go0GSh.jpg

How long does it take to spray a set of legs like that?

It depends on what you want to include in the time... actual spray time? ~60 seconds.

Now if you include setup it gets longer because I don't keep my airbrush setup out. I spent an hour last night painting, but a lot of that was setup, doing some stuff that didn't matter, and I actually painted the legs three times and the bodies twice.

Getting everything out and ready and breakdown was probably 15-20 minutes (compressor, brush, paints, thinner/cleaner, ghetto spray booth, cleanup of all of it). I applied a white ink zenithal first to see if it would do anything (it didn't since my base is so dark). Then I sprayed the first coat that was too gray, then I fiddled around a bit mixing paints to see if I could get a color that I liked more, then I resprayed the color you see.

So even though I spent an hour at my desk I was probably only painting for 5-10 minutes. That being said the hour I spent with everything was still faster than if I were to brush everything on. You can get a nice coat in a single layer as opposed to two to three thin coats, missed areas, etc. I think if I had brushed on the base layer it would have taken me a couple hours (because I paint slow) and maybe even a bit longer because my first coat was the wrong color so I would have to redo that.

Got another game in last night with the same guy I played last time. We ran the same lists again with weapon variations. I had the mission to rescue a stranded titan crew. My Reaver was all set to go and push the reactor to pick them up when the machine spirit took over and decided that I should instead fire a weapon at a Warhound that was almost entirely behind a building. Then my opponent popped the shields and put two critical hits on the legs so... I don't think the titan crew made it :sad.:

Here's a shot of my warhound trying to run up the side as a distraction. None of the models are painted past base coat so I don't take a ton of pictures because it doesn't look that good right now.

Bs1rcNSh.jpg

I find that the trick to retrieval and viral cargo is not to have your front Titan doing the job. If you have a melee reaver and a warhound or two running at people (or maybe knights or whatever) then a second reaver can often sneak through unmolested.

I hear that while Warhounds are often used to grab cargo because of their speed they rarely survive being shot at afterwards.

That was my thought which is why I was trying to have my Reaver make the grab. The machine spirit had other thoughts though...

Looks good man! Excited to see some more paint on these. Will you be utilizing the salt chipping method when it comes time to paint the armor panels?

I don't think I'll do any chipping. I tend to paint my armies without weathering as if they are just stepping onto the field of battle or on a patrol. I don't have anything against weathering, it's just not my thing.

I find that the trick to retrieval and viral cargo is not to have your front Titan doing the job. If you have a melee reaver and a warhound or two running at people (or maybe knights or whatever) then a second reaver can often sneak through unmolested.

I think that's a great idea, unfortunately since I was borrowing models I only had three titans to work with. I don't mind though since I still consider myself to be learning the game. Once I get a few titans done I'll pick up the actual rules from my FLGS so I can study more. For now I've dropped enough money on my battlegroup that I think the rules can wait until I'm ready to field them.

Got some new paint colors this weekend. I took my wife to the hobby shop because she's better with color theory than I am and she picked out a few paints for this scheme. I got some nice greens, an ivory, and a brass color that I really like.

I realize the legs are going to be mostly hidden behind the armor so I did a light dry brush on the legs to catch the edges a little. I got the base layer of the brass down and really like it.

dcgshazh.jpg

z7eWiogh.jpg

I'm going to give it a light wash with nuln oil to dull it down and call it good. I'm planning on using the brass on the armor trim as well with a brown glaze in the shadows and gold highlights.