thewarriorhunter's Adeptus Titanicus Legio and Knight PLOG

Vallejo Model Color Brass, 70.801

I got a great deal on one of the 72 paint Vallejo sets when I first got into the hobby and have been a van of them ever since. My painting is done with 97% Vallejo, 2% Secret Weapon Miniature washes, and 1% Citadel (Nuln Oil).

Little more work done. Played around with how I want to do the greens on my armor and also worked with the crushed glass I ordered for snow bases.

Got some brass put down on a torso:

LYQPkqPh.jpg

For the green I used the same color over four different undercoats. I think I like the right 'shin' the most and am probably going to work on getting that dialed in so I can get a swirling marble effect.

oExD6uOh.jpg

I also did a test with the crushed glass I ordered for snow effects. I like this a lot more than the baking soda. I tried a few different consistencies of snow/water effects and got to see how paint worked in them. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do the 'casualty look since I tend to paint my models as if they are just stepping onto the battlefield. I'm not sure if casualties would make sense... I'll figure it out as I go I think.

Rzg4CGbh.jpg

tUyrZICh.jpg

I think the legs could really do with a layer or two of some kind of wash. On mine I use leadbelcher spray, nuln oil, agrax earth and then a drybrush of necron oxide (or whatever it's called).

The base is interesting. I think the ice is awesome but I'm less sure about the snow. It looks a lot like real, semi-melted snow at 1:1 scale. At AT scale you definitely wouldn't be able to see crystals.

I really like that metallic black. What did you use?

50/50 Vallejo Air Metallic Black and Vallejo Model Color Black. The Metallic by itself is very gray so I added the black to darken it a bit.

I think the legs could really do with a layer or two of some kind of wash. On mine I use leadbelcher spray, nuln oil, agrax earth and then a drybrush of necron oxide (or whatever it's called).

The base is interesting. I think the ice is awesome but I'm less sure about the snow. It looks a lot like real, semi-melted snow at 1:1 scale. At AT scale you definitely wouldn't be able to see crystals.

I thought about a wash but my fear is that it eliminates the metallic shine that I really want to come through. I did think about doing a recess glaze but having done that on my 40k army I really don't want to do that for my legio...

I want the snow because I want something that I can build up around the feet so the titans can look like they are walking through it. I'm also considering adding small amounts to different parts of the armor to make it look like they're in a storm. And who's to say on whatever planet my legio is on doesn't have huge snowflakes? Just because we have small snowflakes on our planet doesn't mean every planet in the 40k universe has small snowflakes.

I don’t think you’ve got anything to worry about with washes taking the metallic sheen off – though it does help to finish with a drybrush of something shiny. I’d suggest trying it on a spare gun or something to see what the effect would be. I’d very seriously recommend doing it though. 

I like the idea of snowflakes that are 1m across. Quite glad they don’t fall on earth!

I threw a wash one the second set of legs. The picture is a tad darker than the first but some of the metallic is still coming through. I think I'll add the brass and give it a dry brush for a final comparison. I don't hate it... but I'm not sure that I love it. I'm hoping the dry brushing will bring up the shine that I like about the first set of legs.

EdecKToh.jpg

I did a three layers of dry brushing on the washed legs and got a picture of both under the same light. I think after building the color back up with the dry brushes I've found the winner. It's still got the black metallic look that I want but has depth doesn't look so washed out. I'll add the brass bits next and I'm still trying to work out how to do my marble. It might have to wait until I have time to break out my airbrush next weekend.

Two different angles of the legs. Right leg is what I'll be moving forward with.

fMUoJQgh.jpg

5vzp7wTh.jpg

I agree as well and had had similar thoughts about not painting the exoskeleton gunmetal. That looks really good and not too bright, which should make the armour sections really pop!

Thanks! I wanted to get the legs done so that I can base them and blue tack my torsos on for games. The sooner I can get my models into a playable state the sooner I get to use them. I'll continue to paint and work as time goes on but the first goal for each titan is to get legs and bases done.

Also after looking at this picture I think I'm going to not paint the toes on the warhounds. I like the black of the right legs better and I can always go back and correct it if needed.

I'm going to be adding tons of gray dust from asphalt and wading through buildings so my titans' feet and lower legs will be very dirty. No sense in spending too much time making a building-sized mech look like it just stepped out of a lander.