Culexus Assassin and Smite

The Culexus Assassin has a rule, relevant excerpt below

Abomination: This model can never be targeted or affected by psychic powers in any way.

If the Culexus Assassin is the closest visible enemy unit to a pysker who wants to manifest smite, what happens? For our example, we can say there is a second unit with 18" of the pysker, but further away than the assassin.

It's obvious that the assassin cannot be affected, given its Abomination rule. Smite says it only effects the closest visible enemy unit, so I take that to mean it can't hit the second unit either then.

Is my interpretation correct? I'm mostly just wondering if this is an intentional behaviour to allow the Culexus Assassin to shut down smites?

Thanks!

Q: If a psyker manifests a psychic power that affects the nearest enemy unit (e.g. Smite) and that unit happens to be either a Culexus Assassin or a Sisters of Silence unit with the Abomination/Psychic Abomination ability, what happens? Does that psychic power then affect the next nearest unit instead?

A: No, the power simply has no effect.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/warhammer_40000_index_imperium_2_en-2.pdf

Edited by Oxydo