NeuronFlux's Crusade

The painting wall! I knew it had to come sometime. It's simply a combination of being out of town quite a bit and some other distractions.

I did manage to finish off five crusaders this week at least.

Hidden Content
DZurwXm.jpg

I think I'm going to shift gears a little bit though. I'm going to completely finish building the rest of the army and batch paint the entire thing at once.

The efficiencies cannot be denied. I'll also be able to get in some 2k point practice games ahead of the tournament with the full list.

It is a more grueling to paint this way, but I am no stranger to this technique. It does mean that the painting updates on this thread will drop off a bit (nobody wants to hear how I just finished my second coat of Zandri Dust).

Thanks for taking the time to read and wish me luck!

Ah, yes. I just utilized this technique myself because I cannot make up my mind on what list to run. Had to paint and base nearly 2k points of models in 2 weeks. Haha. But I love the work you have done on yours thus far!

Batch painting an entire army Sounds like a terrible grind. It will be effective for sure, so go for it of you want to. I'd propably hate it

It's not quite a full army, fortunately (about half). I've done it before with Imperial Fists, Grey Knights and Imperial Guard, so it's not my first rodeo. :biggrin.:

I've nearly built all my initiates - three to go but I need to buy a new box of tactical marines... :/

I also need to build 10 neophytes, but I'm holding off for some 3rd party heads. I hope they come soon because I don't want to wait too long before I start painting.

Ah, yes. I just utilized this technique myself because I cannot make up my mind on what list to run. Had to paint and base nearly 2k points of models in 2 weeks. Haha. But I love the work you have done on yours thus far!

Ugh, I don't think I could do it in two weeks. How many hours per day were you painting? Edited by NeuronFlux

Very nice, you have me wanting to pick up a box of sword brethren to paint up.

Clean work where you have replaced the pistols with boltguns.

Edited by vossyvo

All my models have been primed and the base black is finished.

Depending on the new chaplain litanies rules I might try to squeeze one more in though, we'll see.
Also, still waiting on some heads. I decided instead of holding back I'll just get started and paint them separately and glue them on after.

AcJoiVN.jpg

One month to go...

I was able to play a full 2000 points game tonight against a friend's Star Wars themed Ork army. We both wanted some practice for our upcoming ITC tournament in September.

It was a really fun game and my opponent was gracious enough to let me use the new Space Marine rules and chapter tactic (really fun!!).

I felt the game was close but we only got to the end of the second round after about three hours so we both need to work on speeding up our game.

I will get some more practice this Sunday at a local friendly two round tournament. Unfortunately I won't be able to use new rule though.

As an aside, I loved seeing my black tide list on the table, I'm very happy with how they are coming along. You can see a bit of my painting progress as well (shoulders base coated, started on the cloth).

Cnkmcap.jpg

Be sure to check out the pictures below for some more shots.

Hidden Content
I7R0RGj.jpg

Hidden Content
zTMci9t.jpg

Hidden Content
ppo1hA4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've been working away at batch painting the remainder of my army. All the cloth is done, the shoulders are done, the bases are almost done. I'm currently about half way through the metallics.

I did decide to spend this previous weekend on my chaplain though. I made a really cool short video with him on a turntable that I recommend checking out - https://imgur.com/lOdxhvL

The board doesn't let me embed that though, so here is a normal picture as well:

p4hZlke.jpg

There are few more angles of him in my project album as well (https://imgur.com/a/vCgfFpO).

Very nice! That chaplain is just terrific. Really embodies the agent of fear and death that the templar chaplain is supposed to be. Bravo!

Can I just say also that I don't think I've ever seen that style of black painting before. It's really something!

he doesn't have a single cross on him. Of course there's no real open surfaces for it.

Yeah the model is just way too busy. Maybe I could have put a small one on that scroll running down the back of his cloak.

Did you convert him or are these 3rd party components?

This is a 3rd party model from Wargame Exclusive (https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/space-warriors/imperial-confessor-limited-edition/). I left off some of the more delicate pieces because I plan to use this on the tabletop. Also, they don't tell you this, but it comes with a bare head and an alternative skull head (the one I used).

Could You talk about the recipe for your Black for a bit?

Yeah, for sure! This is the same work-up I use for all my Black Templars models, with some edge highlighting added in. I went with this method because it's very fast and it improves perception of detail on the models while they are on the table. I really wanted to avoid having the models look like a "massive blob of black".

• I prime black with Stynylrez black primer (airbrush)
  • I zenithal highlight with Stynylrez grey primer (airbrush)
I also go quite bright with that grey, almost "too" grey. Once I paint in all the other bits it doesn't look as bright, and if I'm worried about it I can hit it with a black wash.

That's where I stop for regular models. Easy and fast!

If I want to take it to the next step on a character, I start edge highlighting with a series of blue paints.

• Citadel Dark Reaper
  • Citadel ThunderHawk Blue
  • Citadel Fenrisian Grey (mixed with the Thunderhawk blue)
Standard edge highlighting technique, keep it tight and the highlights get smaller as I move through from the darker to lighter colours.

You don't need the Stylnylrez primer, in fact I have used this technique on earlier models with Vellejo primer. I do prefer the Stynylrez since I switched though, it seems to go a little smoother and the Vellejo would start to dry and sputter if you weren't careful.

If I have to do any black touch-ups I use the the Army Painter "Matt Black" or the Vallejo Model Color Black Grey. Coverage is good, they both thin nicely and neither is quite a full value black.

Looks really ace!

Sadly I dont really get stynylrez reliably in Germany I think, but vallejo Primer is Readil available. I think I will try this on models, that are largely armour at some point.

Did you ever do a third, light grey or even white, airbrush highlight?

Vallejo should be just fine. I used it for many years and only just switched a short while ago. Just keep your airbrush clean and try to minimize splatter.

No, I don't go higher than that medium grey. Sort of playing a trick with the eye by using grey and I still want the model to register as "black". I'm worried that going lighter will start to cause the model itself to look grey.

It's probably a fine balance though, maybe worth trying it out some day.

Yeah I get that about playing a Trick on the eye. I have seen people going from Black to white for incredibly high contrast blends. But unsure about if I like that or not. Like I said I might try that out. I alos might get that guy from wargames exclusive. He looks good

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my Black Tide!
And with a little bit of time to spare as well, which is a first for me. :smile.:

Unfortunately, I'm going to be playing a little bit down on points at this tournament. With the recent errata to the Operative Requisition Sanctioned stratagem, I will not be fielding an assassin like I had originally planned. I added a couple more initiates that I already had painted up and upgraded some character wargear, but I couldn't quite fill the gap. I'm not worried about it though, I'm still going to have a great time playing this army!

I included a picture below, but check out my army gallery for a couple more angles - https://imgur.com/a/vCgfFpO

RGXFXwk.jpg

I would appreciate it if you posted a link to your army list.

I love the grey highlight, I have been trying to do something similar with drybrushing but it is getting me mixed results.

Good job getting it all done!

Thanks! The best part is I'm not feeling burnt out, so I'm already thinking of future plans.

Let me know if you want a "proper list", but the jist:

7x 10 man ranged crusader squads - combi-plas, plas, heavy weapon, bolters, neophytes with bolters

2x 10 man close combat crusader squads - combi-melta, melta, power weapon, chainswords, neophytes with knives

2x lieutenants

Captain (warlord)

Captain (popular "marshal law" build)

Chaplain

Emperor's Champion

Cenobyte Servitors

Heavily inspired from Mordian Glory's Black Tide (he's on this forum and on youtube)

Edited by NeuronFlux

• 2 weeks later...

Post tournament report!

I got stomped pretty bad, 1-4. 

I want to say that I had a great time though and beers were shared between me and many of my opponents. Everybody I played also loved my Black Templars (though maybe they were just trying to make me feel better!). I just got the general feeling that everybody likes Black Templars though - but I don't need to tell all you that. :) 

My first two rounds were against triple Chaos Knight lists, and I really just don't have the AT power required for that. I would say this was a common theme among all my losses, and I will be focusing on shoring this up in the future.

I'm curious though because it sounded like the Black Tide list is being used successfully by others - I tend to think I must not be piloting the list quite right. In a nutshell, I was running the list as a blob, keeping the melee units out front. Marshall Law would deep strike in the back somewhere to try to knock something off an objective.

Tournament Plug: http://www.attack-x.com/

We had 114 players at the start of the tournament, and only two dropped by the end. This is one of the largest gaming events in all of Canada and I can't recommend it enough if you live nearby or want to make the trip up next year. Got stomped, 5/5, will play again.