I just hope it will be Haley. I was hoping for Wraight originally, but since Haley's primarch books are just awesome (the best in the series imho), I trust he'll do fine. Wraight is my second best of course, his Lion in Leman Russ just steals the show.

My biggest fear of course is that old heretic Thorpe will get the commision and will ruin the Lion even more than he already did. As a DA fan I'd really like one, just ONE book about the 1st that I can read and return to with pleasure, without Thorpe's or Dunn's nonsense.

Edited by rendingon1+

I think Wraight did such a bangup job portraying the Lion in the Russ book, I'd love to see him do it.

But if we’re going the authors-get-to-work-on-something-they-never-have-before route*, then I’d pay handsomely to see Abnett’s take on the Lion. I really want to know what’s crawling around that cranium on the subject.

*since disproven as the modus operandi for the series

EDIT: typos

Edited by Indefragable

• 3 months later...

Not sure about the timing this is taking place and selling it as a mystery. We've got most of Lion's subsequent HH actions already mapped out for us. It doesn't seem that there is a lot of room for any revelations of note.

My DA buddy's gonna be overjoyed for this, he's been super impatient.

Personally I'm still salty with how Johnson is basically getting two primarch novels, since he stole the spotlight in Russ's book :teehee:

And not a fan of the "Sanction" line.

Not sure about the timing this is taking place and selling it as a mystery. We've got most of Lion's subsequent HH actions already mapped out for us. It doesn't seem that there is a lot of room for any revelations of note.

While I'm not sure there is a lot to reveal in this wrt the DA or the Lion, I'm hoping we get to see just what is so scary about the residents of the Ghoul Stars that the imperium has surrounded it with Astartes for over 10,000 years.

Excited for the book but little bummed it is Guymer writing it. I thought the Ferrus book was probably my least favorite Primarch book which may or may not be related to Ferrus himself since he he comes across as a dullard in many books. I also thought his two books in the Beast Arises series was some of the weaker ones as well. Maybe it is just me but I could only get via the first ten pages of Deathwing and stopped. I will end up getting this since I have always been interested in the Dark Angels but agree, they as a whole could use more work and need a revival (Wraight to the White Scars).

Excited for the book but little bummed it is Guymer writing it. I thought the Ferrus book was probably my least favorite Primarch book which may or may not be related to Ferrus himself since he he comes across as a dullard in many books. I also thought his two books in the Beast Arises series was some of the weaker ones as well. Maybe it is just me but I could only get via the first ten pages of Deathwing and stopped. I will end up getting this since I have always been interested in the Dark Angels but agree, they as a whole could use more work and need a revival (Wraight to the White Scars).

So long as he doesn't include any Emperors Children to have basically the entire novella be "and then the Emperors Children were better than everybody at what they were best at". Seriously, was there anything, besides :censored:  up and throwing tantrums, that the Iron Hands did better than the Emperors Children in the Ferrus novella? 

So long as he doesn't include any Emperors Children to have basically the entire novella be "and then the Emperors Children were better than everybody at what they were best at". Seriously, was there anything, besides :censored:  up and throwing tantrums, that the Iron Hands did better than the Emperors Children in the Ferrus novella? 

I don't think we saw Arkaduana fly anything.

(I still love Guymer)

I don't think we saw Arkaduana fly anything.

(I still love Guymer)

No, but the rest of the Emperors Children flight wing still utterly shamed the Iron Hands pilot, with his only real contribution being a kamikaze attack, and to which the Emperors Children respond to with "let us honour him by surpassing his every record". Akurduana just effortlessly defeated the top 3 Iron Hands fighters at once in a duel, was repeatedly mentioned as being basically the best at everything, and also acted as Ferrus' equerry because reasons.

Akurduana was meant to be a reflection of Ferrus frustration at being so much better than any opponent since his fight with the Emperor and longing for a tough challenge. It was a pretty hamfisted take though and the dynamic between the standard EC and IH Astartes was one of the worst parts of that book.

Back on the Lion though, i wonder if there is going to be an attempt at making the Lion a slightly greyer character again. Dreadwing hinted at it with some implication that the secretive influence of the xenos scum watchers had more of a hold on him than really trying his best to get to Terra, though it's something you could develop in a number of ways.

Edited by Fedor

"Akurduana just effortlessly defeated the top 3 Iron Hands fighters at once in a duel, was repeatedly mentioned as being basically the best at everything, and also acted as Ferrus' equerry because reasons."

...and I thought Fulgrim was bad

If Dreadwing is a better indication of what we'll see for the Lion than Ferrus Manus was, then I'm all for it.  I thought it was one of the better showcases of the Lion, and in a way that both ingratiated the legion to him, and pushed them away.  It reminded me a bit of Angron's primarch novel.  I'll also take anything that further expands on the Hexagrammaton and all their secrets, culture, and nuances.

Akurduana was meant to be a reflection of Ferrus frustration at being so much better than any opponent since his fight with the Emperor and longing for a tough challenge. It was a pretty hamfisted take though and the dynamic between the standard EC and IH Astartes was one of the worst parts of that book.

Back on the Lion though, i wonder if there is going to be an attempt at making the Lion a slightly greyer character again. Dreadwing hinted at it with some implication that the secretive influence of the xenos scum watchers had more of a hold on him than really trying his best to get to Terra, though it's something you could develop in a number of ways.

And that couldn't have been done with an Iron Hand character... why, exactly? That could have been done by Santar, Ferrus' existing equerry and First Captain, given the competitive nature of the Iron Hands, without having the Iron Hands shown up as chumps in literally everything they do.