Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Primarchs: Lion El'Johnson - Speculation!

Primarchs Black Library

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,710 posts
  • Faction: None - I'm a fluff nerd.

Hey there,

just had a quick look on the Primarch series' cover artist and found this one, which was uploaded about 2 months ago:

misha-savier-lion.jpg?1557899340

Maybe it doesn't mean anything at all and I'm purely speculating but somehow, I got the feeling that the Lion might be the next one after Curze.

I mean, he's the one doing all the covers for the Primarch series. Him posting a Lion piece, which really looks like said covers is a bit too much of an accident, right? msn-wink.gif

Cheers,

Kel

Edited by Kelborn, 03 July 2019 - 09:37 PM.

• Sandlemad, Helias Tancred, Taliesin and 1 other like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Brotherhood of the Lost - The Icarion Insurrection: http://www.bolterand...od-of-the-lost/

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 704 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Yikes, if he had a puffy shirt he would look like an Empire great swordsman. I was expecting a boxy mk III suit with a tabard, winged hussar style helm His legionaries look to have the better styled armor IMO. 

gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Brokejaw Gutripper

Brokejaw Gutripper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 488 posts
Awesome!

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 658 posts

My guess (and my hope) is Guymer on the Lion. I thought he handled the 1st very well in Dreadwing, and would like to see him bring that to the crusade-era legion. Since we've already handled most of his origin, maybe we could get something right after Descent where he's got lots to think about Luther. Plenty of opportunity for foreshadowing what is to come, and maybe some nice flashbacks to better (pre-Zahariel) days. 

• Ingo Pech, DarkChaplain and Tymell like this

Hey I've started a web comic! You can read it here.

Manchu warlord

Manchu warlord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 324 posts

I personally think the Dark Angels falconer (or eagle-whistler in this case) at fore is way cooler than the swording (un)sheating, unhelmed, beared, slender (as in not bulky) guy standing in the center-right.  Come to think of it, all the Dark Angels there are heroically cool, long live the FIRST!!!

Insult me again, brother, and theoretically I will punch you in your practical face.

Red_Shift

Red_Shift

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 880 posts
It's a cool piece of art but I don't see the helmetless bloke as Johnson, myself. He looks much the same, proportion wise, to the other marines in the artwork.

Kenzaburo

Kenzaburo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 138 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Custodes

Doesn't feel much like Johnson, I agree. Not bulky enough and the armour-style, especially with the human skull-trophies on the backpack, doesn't sit right with me. 

The art is nevertheless cool, though.

Edited by Kenzaburo, 04 July 2019 - 07:49 AM.

Visit my painter profile on Instagram: https://www.instagra...gfused.painter/

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,018 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
That’s the Order hunting down the beasts of caliban.
  • Huggtand and Kelborn like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,683 posts

Goddamn that armour is so good. So German, so Gothic, so 15th c. knightly. Primarch armour, while still recognisably being powered. This is the best representation of the Lion I've seen, none of the others come close.

There's also a lot of excellent details on the DA's armour: the spikes (just a little edgy, not quite chaotic but dark, fitting for Caliban/as something that could have evolved from an anti-beast feature), the stylised right pauldrons with the high guards, the tilting shields, the use of nails or stakes, the kickass banners. I love all of this, the heresy-era 1st legion has a surprisingly interesting and well-defined visual identity that has clearly been pushed a little here.

The cover definitely looks like it's Caliban anyway, though that's no reason to necessarily think that the novel would be set on Caliban. The 1st are really the last legion without a stock of infamous battles from the FW black books. Any thoughts as to what crusade-era event could be viable? Wouldn't be surprised if it was something to do with the Rangdan xenocides, BL seem to be aware of the fanbase's hunger for elaboration on that.

Edited by Sandlemad, 04 July 2019 - 12:10 PM.

• fire golem likes this

RikuEru

RikuEru

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,086 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

Would agree with you there. Not a single bolter and sight. And the Armours fo not resemble any parts of "standard" patterns.
Add to that the Falconer and all the Banners...

Could it be a cover for a Luther Novel!?
Something akin to the Primarch Books, similiarly how Constantin Valdor gets his stand-alone novel?
  • Marshal Rohr likes this

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpgETL_2016_Badge_08_Badge_of_the_Hero.jpg

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,198 posts

Would agree with you there. Not a single bolter and sight. And the Armours fo not resemble any parts of "standard" patterns.
Add to that the Falconer and all the Banners...

Could it be a cover for a Luther Novel!?
Something akin to the Primarch Books, similiarly how Constantin Valdor gets his stand-alone novel?

was wondering the same thing. is that luther?
can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,683 posts

I dunno, those guys are pretty chunky. I know pre-imperial Calibanites had powered armour but that looks a lot like mkII/III with some legion-specific flair.

The Luther novel idea is an interesting one but note that the artist, Mikhail Savier, has it on his artstation as 'Angels of Caliban' with the caption 'Lion L'Jonson': https://www.artstati.../artwork/PmNml4

• mc warhammer likes this

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,198 posts
that seems to solve that
can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

The_son_of_Dorn

The_son_of_Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,670 posts
  • Faction: All and none
He looks better with a beard.
  • Helias Tancred likes this

My alternate Heresy http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/326705-another-alternate-heresy-with-no-fallen-primarchs/

"Poor chaos, the result of trillions of randomly merged hostile emotional subconsciousness's...........and 70% of them are female"  

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,710 posts

Besides, Luther got black hair.

Here it seems light, blonde-ish

But I like the Caliban idea. Some insight into the Calibanite culture, the actual founding of the Order/ discovery of the Lion and his ascendance, etc.

Brotherhood of the Lost - The Icarion Insurrection: http://www.bolterand...od-of-the-lost/

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,307 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Personally, I’d love to see The Lion in his glory: kick in :cuss as a general, pulling off brilliant strategies that rival Horus. Show us why he was a contender and rival to Horus.
  • DarKnight, Tarvek Val and Fierce Bear like this

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

Blindhamster

Blindhamster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,073 posts
The style suggests a pre legion book tbh. Could be really cool. I like that the armour actually has nods to sisters of battle power armour which makes a lot of sense as its inferior to astartes power armour

Primaris Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2

Blood Angels 3rd Company Wins 25 Draws 5 Losses 13

Heresy Blood Angels: Wins 4 Draws 0 Losses 2
Blood Angels 4th company: Wins 10 Draws 3 Losses 4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_14877_13354_6399.jpggallery_62972_14467_4048.jpg

Blood Angels Primaris Blog

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,018 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
I think the giant tree and dead animals give it away as pre-legion

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

rookie40K

rookie40K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 71 posts
Looks pre-legion to me, in which case awesome art.

Manchu warlord

Manchu warlord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 324 posts

Personally, I’d love to see The Lion in his glory: kick in :cuss as a general, pulling off brilliant strategies that rival Horus. Show us why he was a contender and rival to Horus.

Many of us expected that same idea for the Ferrus Manus book...
Once the book came out...
Many of us were disappointed.
  • DarKnight and rendingon1+ like this

Insult me again, brother, and theoretically I will punch you in your practical face.

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,230 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus

Don't mean to burst anyone's bubble, but that picture is nearly a year old at least - I have a copy on my PC saved from August 2018. The Lion could well be just over the horizon but if he's uploading the art a year + in advance, it is rather unlikely that this has anything to do with the book.

EDIT: He first uploaded it in April 2018

Edited by Marshal Loss, 05 July 2019 - 01:57 AM.

• Marshal Rohr, DarKnight and Kelborn like this

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye
A (perpetually inactive) blog about 30k & the Sons of Horus 29th Company

Helias Tancred

Helias Tancred

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,534 posts

Love that illustration of him (yeah I feel certain it is the Lion). Also ditto on the goatee. Looks great!

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,710 posts
@Marshal Loss: Thanks. I just saw it with a note of being 2 months old. Thought it might be a new one.

It still could be the cover. Let's wait an see.

At least we got a dedicated thread for it now. :P

DarkChaplain

DarkChaplain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,845 posts

Could very well be the cover, especially since it matches stylistically. That it's a year old doesn't say much when you consider how far in advance art has to be commissioned at times, and if he had a pipeline for the Primarchs series, it may well be that he's already finished some others since, or the order was reshuffled. Then there's that issue with the delays due to the Siege and the intentional slowing down of the series as a whole. It may well be the next book to be announced, but we wouldn't know until 2020 due to there being no further Primarch novels this year.

Chances are he jumped the gun on uploading his wip sketch (and remember, we had sketches of the earliest books months in advance as well), just before the decision to slow down was made and communicated to him.

• Kelborn likes this

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,307 posts
Random Q but do we know what’s after the Curze book? Or is that furthest along we know of at this point?

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Primarchs, Black Library

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users