Delegatus command squad

noigrim

Why not? It's very point efficient cc unit either in termie or jp. I always take one, it works pretty good even on itself.

It's worth depends on the legion you play. I wouldn't have a place for them in my IW army.

Why not? It's very point efficient cc unit either in termie or jp. I always take one, it works pretty good even on itself.

It's worth depends on the legion you play. I wouldn't have a place for them in my IW army.

But why though? Even terminators?

-  free slot

- WS5

- +1W on one dude who also makes squad fearless

- annoying chosen warrior shenanigans

- only 5pts more than a termie squad ;)

But why though? Even terminators?

- free slot

- WS5

- +1W on one dude who also makes squad fearless

- annoying chosen warrior shenanigans

- only 5pts more than a termie squad ;)

When my opponent reaches my lines I already screwed up, that's why. B) Edited by Gorgoff

It all depends on the match-up, the mission, and most of tall the Legion you're playing. 

For some Legions (and in combo with certain RoW on top of that) Command Squads are innately awesome.

But a retinue isn't a retinue, and depending on the task you have in mind for them, a highly-customisable Vet Tac squad or even a Seeker squad (or a Legion specific variant !)  might work better to supplement your HQ and / or you list / strategy. 

And, let's not forget, Command Squads are non-scoring (except for UM).

They are cc unit mainly, and I agree they are largely list/playstyle dependant. However any legion without dedicated cc unit just can't go wrong with command squad, that's it :wink:

Gorgoff, you have pure shooty list? I don't quite understand what you mean. Do you always Ironfire? :D

Edited by rendingon1+

Then I hope you don't have to face off vs daemons

Had one game so far and it was a desaster. His psychic bombardement plus crazy toughness was too much for my dudes. But I don't think that five terminators would make any difference to be honest. More so a Nullificator.

And way more firepower.

Next time I bring Phosphex.

Offtop but:

Did you tailor your list vs demons? I'm about to play a battle vs ruinstorm on friday (DA, probably RW) but can you share your experience? PLEASE?! :smile.:Oh, and did you takeany psyrelics?

I played twice.

First game was with my new Militia, which was a massacre. I was done in turn two.

But lessons where learned.

He cannot put the warp rifts in 12" to one another, 6" to a table edge and in 12" to a mission marker. Try to capitalize on that fact.

Game two was with my IW and I tried to tailpr my list a little bit but it wasn't very successful either. Contemptors are very good if they manage to reach CC. But you have to have some sort of anti air because of the flying MC. Those will fly around and shoot walkers to pieces with S9 armour bane in the first rounds.

Obviously every gun which has fleshbane or is poisened is very good because troops with T5 and two wounds are VERY hard to kill. If your opponent takes psychic daemons a Nullificator makes sense because he'll protect at least one unit against those powers.

Some kind of CC counters should come in handy too

T5 and two wounds are VERY hard to kill.

Hello vindicator my old friend

Has to be in 24" and can be killed rather quickly by flying MC. In my game he killed four lesser demons before he died.

• 4 months later...

A single Legion Command Squad may be chosen as a retinue for a Legion Praetor, Primarch, or Legion special character with the Master of the Legion special rule which is also your Army’s Warlord. They may not be taken as part of an army on their own, instead sharing a Force Organisation chart choice with the Warlord they are selected for, nor do they add to the points of a Primarch when determining Lords of War and the 25% rule.

"new" f&q.

The FAQ only updates the entry for command squad. And that's more for the fact it adds the primarchs and special characters to those available to take them.

The fact that the delegateus entry specifically states he may take a command squad allows him to take one. It's part and parcel of the character itself. The full weight of the legion's authority, without official rank.

And it actually states legion special characters with MotL, not named. Look at him as a special character, that does have MotL and a specific rule allowing command squads. Not a named special character, but special in the fact he is an upgraded centurion that is allowed to take a command squad.

Edited by Inquisitor Verhek

"A single Legion Command Squad may be chosen as a retinue for a Legion Praetor, Primarch or Legion special character with the Master of the Legion special rule which is also your Army's Warlord. They may not be taken as part of an army on their own, instead sharing a Force Organisation chart choice with the Warlord they are selected for, nor do they add to the points of a Primarch when determining Lords of War and the 25% rule".

TBH, it could be read either way - I am very confident it is not abe to cover Delegatus', but I guess we will have to wait for FW to clarify that one. In the meantime I'd say run them but be prepared for them to lose access to it in the worst case. Best case we get the rules fixed that are messy such as Rite of Command because that is messy.

Also, saying a Delegatus is a special character is mega-stretching. You know exactly what a special character is, a Delegatus is not one of them, he is a generic bog-standard character like the rest of the Consuls. Special in this instance clearly means someone like Maloghurst or Remus, who are named special characters with Master of the Legion.

Edited by Slips