Where to start? $200?

mertbl

Yeah it's not an easy one; GSC have the dubious distinction of being one of the only factions in either major GW system that doesn't have a start collecting box.

If you can track one down, the Genestealer Cults Insurrection Battleforce set has a good spread of units and was decent value ($170 for $245 worth of kits). Sadly it's out of production but a local store may still have one kicking around.

If you don't mind proxying in some of your Guard models as Neophytes, you could always do that and spend your money on the interesting GSC specific stuff like a Broodcoven, some Aberrants, Atalan Jackals etc.

That was kind of my thought have a heavy brood brothers presence and splash in the GSC. Characters, aberrants, bikes. I really like the bikes. GSC has got to have the worst point to dollar ratio in the game.

But with both sets you can easily get 15 accolyte so you will save an entire box. Only problem could be in the mining tools. One x tipe at best where rock saw are far better. Anyway if your opponents are not taliban of the WYCSIWIG, you can use them all as rock saws.

But with both sets you can easily get 15 accolyte so you will save an entire box.

Not sure if I understood this correctly; are you suggesting using a box of Neophytes and a box of Acolytes to kitbash together 15 Acolytes?

Yes. I did. Neophyte models are mostly bend as Accolyte are. They have boots but essentialy they work pretty well. In the accolyte kit you have enough arms to kitbash more than 10 models, the remaining can use pistols and weapons from neophyte kit. And for the heads you will have more than enough in both kits

You could probably do it, but it'd be a really odd, less than ideal unit; to build 15 complete, legal models you'd need to give the leader the Bonesword/Lash Whip combo, use all 4 special weapons and give the rest a split of Autopistols and Hand Flamers.

• 3 weeks later...

I did it. Leader don't need wip and sword (but you can if you want) and yes, you can have 3 different weapons in a squad. But hey repeat this proced for 3 times and you will have 3 saw and 3 drill/cutter in a squad. What you have to do is to use green stuff on two or three models in order to bend them a little more...

And this will save you 50% of money

The whip is far from required and doubtfully worth it. I've done this and they blend well. You can use other bodies too basically anything can become an acolyte if you try hard enough.

To answer the original post I was going to say spend it all on acolytes anyway... personally at least im running 70+ at 2k

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a full blooded imperium player with a large guard army. I'm looking to slip a little and try GSC. If you had $200 what would you get to start up a GSC army with the idea of going full gsc eventually?

You can’t get the Deathwatch box GSC sprues on eBay now but I got a few batches of those for like $60 each and now I’ve got a massive cult. They’re easy to convert too.

Since you’ve got all the neophytes you need with an IG army and you must have a bunch of armor you really only need some genestealers and acolytes. How about the kill team squad with the gunslinger cultist? Keep looking on eBay for the GSC sprues from the DW game, that’s the cheapest way to bulk out your cult.

You could skip acolytes entirely and just get a patriarch with a big blob of purestrain genestealers...