Chaos knights, and You

The Wardogs continue to be a good choice for me. Proof is in play. The proof is in the competitive results, not in math-hammer for me. Also the rerolls against flyers show you a great target for them. In my meta that silly Eldar Airshow is still a real thing. They do the work, and it's something the loyalist equivalent doesn't get.

More importantly I was more referring to the close combat variant. I find the re-rolls from strats and the melta lance + extra attacks on the charge/charged are just very decent. 

I continue to include them in my games, not as a tax but as a functional unit for a few reasons.

At the same time, while they've been seen in recent competitive tournaments on top tables, I'm not saying I'm married to the idea of them either. 

I tend to run lists that feature models I like.... and that sometimes presents its own challenges. I don't know of many (or really any) people running the Tyrant (Valiant) variant I do, but I just love the model and it draws tremendous firepower with the ability to prevent wounds on rolls of 1-3, it's just fun to play it.

Overall my Knight lists feature lots of Chaos... not Daemons though. So I try to keep enough 'fun units' in the list while retaining a good balance of CSM units for some board control.

Good to hear the melta lance ones are doing some work. I like the look of them over the AC ones. 

Good to hear the melta lance ones are doing some work. I like the look of them over the AC ones. 

Foolish Mortal! :D

I'm still working on my Big Unit list. 2-3 twin AC knights with 2-3 Khorne Daemon Princes from the Daemon book with nasty relics. :D Most likely going to need to find a super cheap unit to fill in some troop choices and an HQ as well. Maybe a Iron Lords Dark Apostle with three units of 10 cultists with shooty sticks?

• 5 weeks later...

I had been running a dual avenger knight and with a range of 36" he would be in range of all my enemies weapons. So I tended to play him aggressively and run him up the board to take advantage of his stomps. This worked well for me, but I'd be lucky if he lasted past turn 3.

So I switched to dual battle cannons which allowed me to sit back out of range forcing some opponents to move towards me if they wanted to take him out. Now in 5 of my last 6 games he has lasted the entire battle (once with 1 wound remaining), but I feel like he was only half as useful as the other build. This was most apparent when I fought GSC and actually moved him and got into combat.

Between the two weapon load outs, I would say damage output was comparable. Sure one has more shots, but the other wounded more often. The biggest difference is the first clears infantry better (faster) while the other takes out bigger targets.

I'm not sure on a dual thermals build, it's cheaper and if it's going to have the life expectancy of the avenger build might as well as save some points. But the flamers come in handy which the thermals don't have. Has anyone had good results with the thermals? If so, is it with/without other knights? On paper it looks like dual avengers if your only running one.

Edited by McElMcNinja

Something else to consider is building the boys up for melee. The chainsword is pretty darn good imho.

I'm still working on getting my Tri-Dual Avenger Gatling girls up. Once they are done I'll start working on some war dogs to run interference. Possibly thinking about running a detachment of Khorne Dogos with Karan as well.

I have played with a monoknight army at a local tournament and I was quite happy with how they performed. I have lost two games and won one, but overall the points destroyed every game placed me at the middle of the ladder. I have faced a monoknight imperial army and two Ultramarines, in hindsight I had a fair chance to win and if I didn't it was not due to rules but to mistakes of mine.

My list was the following: 

Knight Desecrator 

- Gauntlet

- Diamonas

- +1 Attack Warlord

Knight Despoiler

- Battlecannon

- Reaper Chainsword

- Stormspear 

Knight Despoiler

- 2x Avenger Gatling

- Stormspear

2x War Dog

- 2x Autocannon

- one is a Dreadblade

All are Iconoclast, and I have payed 1 Cp for 1 extra relic. 

Overall this army performed as expected and worked well as an all-comers list. The only real trouble I had was with the mission which required characters to cap the objective and where I had to invest into more Characters, therefore burning cp on that. I have rolled every time on the Dreadblade pacts and they were a fine addition to every game but not game changing. The pre-deployment stratagems and extra relic are an awesome thing since offer us a great deal of flexibility. If there is a downside is that I had to use every time the extra relic slot for the 4++, shooting is just that deadly and I had to use evert time the Ion Shield and this one to mitigate the damage, even if by a bit.

What I will change is that I will make one of the War Dogs with melta and chainsword, it will make the list a bit more flexible, especially if Dreadblade. On the other hand the two autocannon War Dogs performed well and were a nice way to harm the Primaris stuff by simply outranging it. 

The next step up is to remove the War Dog with the autocannon and add a Knight Castigator, netting me a 2k points list.

So far so good. Have to test the list against a proper IG army though.

So far so good. Have to test the list against a proper IG army though.

Thank you for sharing! My list is still in the works. Most of my stuff is in storage right now so I'm doing smaller projects right now. But I'm really looking forward to getting my Moirai on the table late 2020 for sure!