Thousand Sons Start Collecting!

Raven1

I probably shouldn't complain, but...did they really need to include Ahriman in there as the HQ choice? I mean, it's a great box set for anyone intending to actually "Start Collecting" Thousand Sons, but having a named character in there really harms the value for those expanding existing Thousand Sons armies. I mean, if it's $90 (as expected) then that is already just about even with the cost of the Rubrics and Tzaangors.

This seems like it only has value after you have Ahriman if you want to play Tzaangors with chainswords and autopistols; otherwise it seems like a fairly mediocre deal.

I assume this has the conversion sprues for the Tzaangors pistols and chainswords? If so thats not bad if it still comes in at the £55-60 mark. 

Assuming the box cover shows the actual contents, the conversion sprue is included at least once.

Guys, it's START collecting... not "here is a discount box for our veteran factions players". It's supposed to make it easier on new people (to a faction) getting into the hobby. I'm really stoked, it fits my collection perfectly, as I am slowly growing my TS collection, and I need another 10 or 20 tzaangors and 10 more rubrics and Ahriman. But hey, could be that I am just lucky :)

I don't know if the bits would be easy to do this but if you had skills with Green Stuff you could convert the Tzaangors into Enlightened or Shaman with Ahriman's Disc.

I'm sure you could play with the Aspiring Sorcerer and Ahriman bits to convert a Exalted.

It's a big box.

Edited by Zodd1888

It's a nice box. Not a huge fan of Tzaangor but glad there are two troops. This seems more to be a 'true' Start Collecting rather than something that could expand a force due to Ahriman's presence, a model most TS players would own. 

I don't know if the bits would be easy to do this but if you had skills with Green Stuff you could convert the Tzaangors into Enlightened or Shaman with Ahriman's Disc.

I'm sure you could play with the Aspiring Sorcerer and Ahriman bits to convert a Exalted.

It's a big box.

They've said before that the Enlightened arms are compatible with normal Tzaangor bodies so putting that together shouldn't be difficult but sourcing the bits might be. 

Edited by Ashenwyte

I notice that GW has hiked their website's (US) price of Rubric Marines up to $55 from $50. The cynical side of me tells me this is just to artificially make this Start Collecting box a better deal. It makes me glad that I've already bought more Rubric Marines than I'll ever possibly need.

I notice that GW has hiked their website's (US) price of Rubric Marines up to $55 from $50. The cynical side of me tells me this is just to artificially make this Start Collecting box a better deal. It makes me glad that I've already bought more Rubric Marines than I'll ever possibly need.

Might want to look at this thread:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/356914-looks-like-a-bunch-of-price-increases-are-incoming-soon/

I had such a fun game using the new Chaos Knights with my Thousand Sons I’m seriously considering getting this box except m6 Rubrics were probably the worst unit. Lol

The Kill Team box with Termies was nice but this is a real deal IF you need the extras. I think the Pistol and chainsword are basically free which is the only real temptation for me.