---The Legend Grows---

Bruce Malcom

--Inquisitorial Records, Subject: Kelly Slonne, Colonel of the Handellian 24th Snow Regiment.--

24.3 Post HCM.M41

[<Transcript Begin>]

Inquisitor Leenam: For clarification, start from the top one more time.

Colonel Slonne: You already have what I'm about to say on record.

Inquisitor Leenam: Please, Colonel. The quicker you do this the sooner you'll leave my vessel and you can return to your Regiment.

[Pause continues for 4.5 Seconds]

Colonel Slonne: They attacked.

Inquisitor Leenam: Whom? The rogue Astartes?

Colonel Slonne: No, not them...but they were Astartes. Traitors.

Inquisitor Leenam: So Traitor Legionnaires showed up. What was the first thing that happened?

Colonel Slonne: Panic, mostly. Muffled screams, terrified children...it was a nightmare. I was just a Lieutenant of a PDF, unable to stop the Heretics. I felt useless.

Inquisitor Leenam: Alright, what happened after?

Colonel Slonne: We called in support. Apparently an entire Astartes chapter was coming. We just needed to hold out for a week, maybe three at worst.

Inquisitor Leenam: And you say they never came?

Colonel Slonne: None. Not a single one of them.

Inquisitor Leenam: I see. Colonel, I'm reading that next you stated that Necrons appeared?

Colonel Slonne: Yes, but it was about a month or so -

Inquisitor Leenam: Guessed dates tend to mess up records. This is a very sensitive case pertaining to a very sensitive subject.

Colonel Slonne: I apologize, Inquisitor. After the Necrons, we were spent. Just a couple tanks and a handful of PDF were left.

Inquisitor Leenam: And this is where the rogue Astartes come in, no?

Colonel Slonne: Yes, this is where Validor and his Chapter comes in.

(Pause. Inquisitor Leenam flips through files; spots the right one and pulls it out. Inquisitor Leenam starts reading from text.)

Inquisitor Leenam: (Sound. [Ahem]) The 'Banished Brigade' is the result of a schism in the Ultramarines Successor Chapter 'the Red Calibers'. This Chapter apparently fought over its rights, whatever those may be, and it's freedom from Imperial rule. The Banished Brigade accused an innocent Inquisitor of taking advantage of their democratic structure. They still apparently worship the Emperor, but the Inquisitor they accused of Infiltration was later found guilty of being a heretic and executed by Inquisitor Helmand by Boltpistol a mere two months ago.This Chapter is extremely dangerous and suspected of Xenos conspiring, and stealing from other Loyalist Chapters.

(Pause continues for 61.7 seconds)

Colonel Slonne: You know most of what you said is {<Redacted.>}, right?

Inquisitor Leenam: I'm sorry?

Colonel Slonne: From what I gathered from the Red Calibers, this Inquisitor did, in fact, rig their system, but due to Chapter Law they stayed with the puppet Chapter-Master. They are not dangerous and have [<Heretical Speech. Uncensor?> {Uncensoring...}>] saved countless Imperial worlds from destruction and stopped plenty of heretics. I'm willing to bet that Validor's slain more heretics than {<Redacted.>} you!

Inquisitor Leenam: I don't believe this 'Captain Validor' has Exterminatus-Grade Weaponry.

Colonel Slonne: Who says he needs it?

Inquisitor Leenam: Okay, Colonel, this conversation has gotten out of context. This is a record, not a theorist's journal. You say you were saved by this Captain and his forces?

Colonel Slonne: My homeworld, my Regiment's world, was saved by this Captain and his men.

Inquisitor Leenam: You obviously have strong feelings towards this Astartes.

Colonel Slonne: Just incredible respect, I swear upon my honor.

Inquisitor Leenam: Well, Colonel, I don't think you have much honor left. Conspiring with heretics is a very serious offense.

Colonel Slonne: I did not conspire with heretics! Even if they were, they just came and slew a whole host of Death Guard!

[<Classified Text>] {(Access Granted)} No, those were Red Calibers. At least, that's what the new records will say. As far as the common populace is concerned, this Chapter does not exist and you are a heretic, Miss Slonne.

Colonel Slonne: I...I am no heretic!

Inquisitor Leenam: Good day, miss Slonne. The job of Servitor will suit you quite nicely.

(Door opens, Kaskrins restrain Slonne. Kaskrins drag Slonne out)

[<End Transcript>]

This is a nice tie-in to your Red Calibers story. As a minor nitpick, I suggest linking said story to this piece and offering a short explanation of how the two are connected. It's unwise to assume that new readers will always bridge the gap between the two stories, and they may be thrown off by the references in this piece.

This is a nice tie-in to your Red Calibers story. As a minor nitpick, I suggest linking said story to this piece and offering a short explanation of how the two are connected. It's unwise to assume that new readers will always bridge the gap between the two stories, and they may be thrown off by the references in this piece.

Well thank you, and I was debating whether or not to put a link. But then I realized there is not that many different people who haven't read the first piece that would read this one, and the constant slew of references I thought would surely remind them of the previous story.

---Twelve Years since the Imperial Longsword left Handel---

Chapter-Captain Validor sat in his throne-esc chair, staring out a window into the endless void. It's stars fascinated him, though he was warned not to. Something about them called to his attention, his imagination...he pulled away. Such thoughts are the start of Chaos worship.

He was a Chapter-Captain. His job was to slay heretics, defeat the Xenos, and purge the mutant. But he was lenient on his job, occasionally working with Xenos if it meant saving others. He didn't mind the Eldar, Tau, or any of their auxiliaries...why hate an enemy that he couldn't fight, working for a system that cast him out?

Suddenly the Emperor's Shortsword, their Long Serpent-Battlecruiser and second ship floated in front of his window's view. Perhaps it was for the best...

Validor's friend, Captain Lopen Skallavel of the First Company, stormed into the room. "Brother-Captain, our allies, the Dream Weavers, say they have very important personnel, who was sentenced to become a servitor, on their Forge World. They say it's Colonel Slonne, from the tundra planet Handel."

Validor got out of his chair and faced Lopen. "Slonne? I never thought I'd hear that name again...get us to the Forge World. I have many questions and I'd like them answered."

The Imperial Longsword, now a vastly reworked and expanded Long Serpent, entered the Warp. Incredibly cautious of the grisly and vile dimension, their triple Gellar Fields protected them from most Warp-related incidents.

As the ships arrived, and Chapter-Captain Validor landed on the surface via Thunderhawk, Colonel Slonne waited next to the designated landing zone. Alongside her, the Magos Dominus of the Dream Weavers.

"Colonel Slonne, Magos Dominus, a pleasure to see you once more. May I ask why you were sentenced to become a servitor?" He asked.

Colonel Slonne, with minor cybernetic attachments and dressed in Mechanicum attire, responded. "About a month ago, an Inquisitor sentenced me to that fate due to me 'conspiring with heretics'. They edited everything to remove the Banished Brigade from history."

Chapter-Captain Validor did not respond for a moment. "The fools helped us."

Colonel Slonne did not catch on. "What do you mean?"

"Well, the local authorities will not know who we are...we might even be able to requisition ships from unwitting shipyards," he explained. "Colonel, what else do you know?"

"That he's likely looking for you. Leenam, that was his name. Inquisitor Leenam."

Validor sighed. "Fighting an Inquisitor and his forces will be difficult...are you coming with us? The guardsmen and PDF that chose to join us need a leader other than me."

Slonne shook her head. "I'd rather stay here, and learn the ways of the Adeptus Mechanicus. I had already started my training and augments."

Validor nodded. "I see. Very well then. May the -" he stopped himself, and remembered what his friend, Techmarine Opell Wakian said. "Ave Ommnisiah."

The Magos Dominus shouted. "Ave Ommnisiah! Praise the Machine God!" Slonne repeated this. She walked up to Validor. "The Emperor Protects...but still, be careful."

Validor hesitated, then nodded. "Understood, Adept." He walked back to his Thunderhawk and launched off to his ships.

-----

The Imperial Longsword was now a beast of a vessel, upgraded with more armor, triple Gellar Fields, and double the weapons. It had extra space for soldiers, supplies, and Chapter forges, as well as hangars and logistics. It's weapons were automated so the lack of serfs didn't hurt them, and stolen T'au tech was currently being studied in an effort to replace their warp-travel.

The ship was truly a fair replacement for a Battle Barge. Granted, it was serious tech-heresy, but it served it's purpose.

It's sister ship, the Emperor's Shortsword, which was recovered from Imperial forces a mere week before they entered the Warp, did not have the luxury of these add-ons, besides the triple Gellar Field. It was the ship dedicated to the hundreds of thousands who decided to come along after the Banished Brigade saved their home.

As Validor landed on the Imperial Longsword, he issued the order to head on out, and once again they entered the Warp.

---One Week Later---

A Vox Communication was intercepted by the Imperial Longsword. It was a cry for help, and the enemy?

Chaos.

The order was issued; the Gellar Fields were put in use as they went to fight the Eternal Foe.

-----

Both ships appeared to sight of a Proto-Hive World and a single Despoiler-class vessel.

"Engage the enemy!" Validor shouted, and the ships blasted at one another, pounding into each other's hulls. Soon, the Despoiler-class was dead and gone, and the forces of Chaos were stranded on the planet.

Validor left the Command Post and went down to the hangar, where entire Companies scrambled to Thunderhawks and Drop-Pods, in an effort to reach the planet's surface and slay some heretics.